Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is communicating better.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But you might be the first asking for a daily update.

That may be your take on things, but I can guarantee you I'm not bothering them everyday. I haven't bothered them for at least 11 days.

All I wish for is an update if the car made it on the boat as scheduled. They should have that information already. Is that too much to ask for?

Communication has definitely improved a lot since this summer and seems to be getting better every few weeks - particularly if you've decided to repeatedly e-mail / call any contacts you have at the company.

However, it's still a long way from the level at which I'd feel comfortable suggesting to any but my most benevolently patient friends that they put down a $5k/$40k deposit on a model S/X. And that's the bar against which I think Tesla should be judged: would you stake your personal social capital suggesting Tesla to a friend who isn't a bleeding edge early adopter with a patient and forgiving mindset?

For me, the answer is: not yet. I don't mean to be overly negative or participate in hijacking this thread, but that's my honest view at the moment.

would you stake your personal social capital suggesting Tesla to a friend who isn't a bleeding edge early adopter with a patient and forgiving mindset?

I wouldn't, before production has reached the nominal level for maybe a month, regardless of communications. By then, delivery should be predictable and won't require special communications, except for exceptions.

Communication is not operated by a flick switch. Tesla went from a standing start to producing hundreds of cars each week in a comparatively short space of time. Cars, even EVs, are complex products and on top of that you can't ship them FedEx; the logistics are complex also. As George said at the COTY event, Tesla is trying to do what everyone thought/said was impossible.

I've run companies, and I'm sure many others here have, so I know how hard it is to change processes in mid-stream but as a customer I think we can judgementally ask/answer the following questions:

Did Tesla screw up on communications? Yes.
Are they improving? Yes, take a look around the various threads on TMC.
Is everything fine now? Absolutely not, it's an evolving process.
How long will it be until everything's perfect? Who knows, but Tesla has acknowledged the issues so they'll be trying darn hard to fix them.
Will they screw up again? Maybe, nobody's perfect but I'd be willing to bet its only on rare occasions.

Growth comes with growing pains, but growing pains don't stop you growing.

That may be your take on things, but I can guarantee you I'm not bothering them everyday. I haven't bothered them for at least 11 days.

All I wish for is an update if the car made it on the boat as scheduled. They should have that information already. Is that too much to ask for?

Tesla has gotten into a mess with this delivery window and VIN thing. They shouldn't assign you a particular car until it passes final QC. That way they can swap cars to try to keep delivery order in sync with reservation # sequence. I'd wait to contact the owner until the car arrived at the service location where it will be prepped for final delivery.

Tesla has gotten into a mess with this delivery window and VIN thing. They shouldn't assign you a particular car until it passes final QC. That way they can swap cars to try to keep delivery order in sync with reservation # sequence. I'd wait to contact the owner until the car arrived at the service location where it will be prepped for final delivery.

The other side of that equation is that the buyer has to take care of financing. Sometimes the approval is only good for 30 days so the timing has to be decent. The financing can't be finalized until there is a VIN in most cases. Some people have sold their cars and ended up renting cars because they weren't informed about a delay early enough.

If they just stuck with the 30 day notice, 2 week notice and then final notice like they originally mentioned it would have been fine. That, along with additional communications when a previously mentioned date is looming would be ideal. But, they had unexpected complications. They'll get there. I hope it is soon though and it gets done before they run out of patient early adopters that understand product launches and the compexities of developing a rapidly growing company.

I hope it is soon though and it gets done before they run out of patient early adopters that understand product launches and the compexities of developing a rapidly growing company.

"Patient"? Ask new owners if they would describe themselves that way in hindsight.
:p

:cursing:→:crying:→
:D :D

It could be worse. You could be waiting for a Karma! ☻

Communication may have improved for some but it hasn't improved for others. Still, the only way I get a response is going through [email protected]. If I do get a response from someone directly it is usually to hand me off to someone else that doesn't respond to my inquiries or acknowledge my communication attempts. <sigh>

Meanwhile I see others that are getting photos and updates or even gps tracking. Sooo frustrated! What are they going to do when they start to get thousands of e-mails from the Production customers? I really expected things to be better by now.

My 'communication forecast' has changed from better to partly cloudy. The past two or three communications which I received (+) now seem to be guesses or wishful thinking or perhaps just plain wrong (-). Today I have a new person I spoke with. They say my car has NOT finished production (which previous messages said it had). Arrrrgh!

I think (hope) Tesla will meet the tail end of my delivery window, which just barely works for me since i have travel schedule right after my window closes. I don't even want to think about what I'll do if they miss the end of November window and I'm traveling for two weeks :-(

All this reminds me of The Blues Brothers: Elwood says "I didn't LIE to you Jake, I just took the liberty of bullshitting you!"

I received a reply back from [email protected] this evening, less than 24 hours after I had sent my original message. It appears one message was a form letter (sent from Salesforce), but there was a quick follow-up with what appears to be something more hand-written (coming from internal servers at Tesla). It was concerning a delivery update and where production currently stands, so I'll post it in the other thread for that in a sec.

My 'communication forecast' has changed from better to partly cloudy. The past two or three communications which I received (+) now seem to be guesses or wishful thinking or perhaps just plain wrong (-). Today I have a new person I spoke with. They say my car has NOT finished production (which previous messages said it had). Arrrrgh!

I think (hope) Tesla will meet the tail end of my delivery window, which just barely works for me since i have travel schedule right after my window closes. I don't even want to think about what I'll do if they miss the end of November window and I'm traveling for two weeks :-(

All this reminds me of The Blues Brothers: Elwood says "I didn't LIE to you Jake, I just took the liberty of bullshitting you!"

You're welcome to deliver the car (and key fob) at our house in Camas while you're away...

Seriously though, it's very disappointing to hear the frustration of many sig reservationists, and it's why I keep saying "Maybe April" when people ask me when I'm getting my car (#7645) even though my MVPA says Feb/Mar. I'm fully aware that the current estimates are best case scenarios which, based on the Sig experience, are not likely to happen.

Tonight's update: I take delivery of my car this Saturday, December 1st. (Missed the window by one day if all goes as promised). I'm taking delivery at the service center rather than home delivery because it will save a day or perhaps two. Tesla offered to send a car to pick me up (+++) and get me to the service center. DS said he is doing several other deliveries that day as well.

Communication Forecast: Clear and Sunny :smile:

I sent an email to [email protected] on Thursday asking if we have a VIN yet. No response. Is there somewhere else I should be emailing or calling? I thought I would be willing to just ride it out without inquiring but... it's too exciting! ME: when, when, when??!!!!

I got mine from someone at that email address but it did take them about 3 or 4 days to respond. I am guessing they are swamped with requests so take it easy on them.