Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is going to do a 100D and P100D...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a good point and I do agree. It seems to be foolish to ship a few brand new X model which they have worked on for years and then immediately release the 100 kWh battery pack.

Agree--it would be foolish to further irritate your most lucrative customers. Unless....the 90kWh packs are really SW-limited 100kWh packs, which might make more sense for the slow ramp than door seals...?

There are supposed to more features and tech in the MX than admittedly they should have waited on. So doors are one, what else could be waiting. If it were a SW update to the battery, i'm sure any price would be fair market, since they did offer a great update price for 85 to 90 and ludicrous for existing owners...

Very wishful thinking. Highly doubt it.

I don't doubt the development of a 100kWh battery (or even a larger one). What I DO doubt is that Tesla would make it available so soon after debuting the 90kWh packs. How long have they been around? Six months?

Of course, I would be thrilled if they do. I need more range!

Going out on a limb here. What if the 90kWh packs were truly 100kWh that were limited down to 90? They did something very similar with the 40kWh model having a 60kWh battery with the ability to "unlock" the extra 20kWh...

Thanks Erik

So this new 100 battery will finally deliver the full 85 kW in real driving conditions? LOL

The EPA ratings seem entirely accurate to me, people just don't understand exactly what the EPA rating is.

I best EPA ratings all the time, both highway and city, on my Leaf in the summertime. In my last gas car I got as high as 20% above the EPA rating on long roadtrips.

Agree--it would be foolish to further irritate your most lucrative customers. Unless....the 90kWh packs are really SW-limited 100kWh packs, which might make more sense for the slow ramp than door seals...?
I don't think it would irritate those customers. If they announced 100kw for the 3, they could just point out that it won't be available until next year (or later). They get the news out on something that doesn't yet exist that gets us all excited. And they keep the current customers happy because they know they'd have to wait 18+ months for the S or X models to have that feature.

I have felt tha we will see a big change in the Model S after it no longer has to be the entry model. Once the Model 3 comes out, the model S isn't held back by entry price. That unlocks potential and possible loss of the 70kwh battery at the same time.

I don't think it would irritate those customers. If they announced 100kw for the 3, they could just point out that it won't be available until next year (or later). They get the news out on something that doesn't yet exist that gets us all excited. And they keep the current customers happy because they know they'd have to wait 18+ months for the S or X models to have that feature.

100kWh pack on the M3 makes no sense and there would have to be a significant increase in density to push the pack to 100kWh and shrink it 20% at the same time.

If I get a Model X with P90D, can I upgrade to a P100D? If yes, how much will it be to upgrade to the bigger battery pack.

I think Sigs should get it free, and Production Cars could pay $5k for the privilege.

Considering the 90D was 3k more than the 85D, 5k makes sense for 90->100 and it also continues with the theme of "5k to upgrade to the newest tech" (aka Ludicrous to P85Ds)