Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Lent Me a P3D for the Night!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, thank you very much for the review and the excellent pictures. Might actually change my mind in wanting to get the P instead of the standard dual-motor LR after all.

The only thing that really irks me is the center console in that the piano black as well as the black fake leather on top of the center armrest look so wrong to me. If those items were white, it would be perfect.

Regen does not reduce braking distance. The braking distance is limited by the traction of the tires.
I am curious whether the AWD will indeed have stronger regen though. Has that been answered?

I haven’t seen any studies on this but it strikes me that regen almost certainly reduces real world braking distance in many cases.

Reaction time can be a significant portion of braking distance and part of that is the time to physically move the foot from the accelerator to the brake and for the brake system to engage.

One resource I found estimated the time to physically move the foot from the accelerator to the brake as 1/4-3/4 second. STOPPING DISTANCE (Safe Drive Training)

At 70 mph you are traveling at 102 feet per second. Using the 1/4-3/4 second estimate this means 25-75 feet of braking distance is just the physical reaction time to move the foot to the brake.

Regen kicks in faster and begins slowing the car down before you hit the brake. I have felt this happening in everyday driving with both my Model S and 3. Stronger regen should have a stronger effect.

Would be interesting to see someone take a deeper dive into this.

Last edited:
Regen does not reduce braking distance. The braking distance is limited by the traction of the tires.
I am curious whether the AWD will indeed have stronger regen though. Has that been answered?

From Elon's previous tweet on AWD getting upgraded brakes, AWD has more regen (also makes sens with two motors, assuming its not hitting the pack limit). From a recent car review (grain of salt), it sounds like P dials that up even more.

I haven’t seen any studies on this but it strikes me that regen almost certainly reduces real world braking distance in many cases.

Reaction time can be a significant portion of braking distance and part of that is the time to physically move the foot from the accelerator to the brake and for the brake system to engage.

One resource I found estimated the time to physically move the foot from the accelerator to the brake as 1/4-3/4 second. STOPPING DISTANCE (Safe Drive Training)

At 70 mph you are traveling at 102 feet per second. Using the 1/4-3/4 second estimate this means 25-75 feet of braking distance is just the physical reaction time to move the foot to the brake.

Regen kicks in faster and begins slowing the car down before you hit the brake. I have felt this happening in everyday driving with both my Model S and 3. Stronger regen should have a stronger effect.

Would be interesting to see someone take a deeper dive into this.
In that sense regen will reduce braking distance. The problem is regen is only .15g acceleration and the brakes are about 1g so you’re not getting much. It would be interesting to have a car with true one pedal driving (no brake pedal). It be sort of like having a dead man’s switch. Remove foot from pedal = full brake pressure.
Who takes 3/4 of second to physically move their foot from the accelerator to the brake in a panic stop?

In that sense regen will reduce braking distance. The problem is regen is only .15g acceleration and the brakes are about 1g so you’re not getting much. It would be interesting to have a car with true one pedal driving (no brake pedal). It be sort of like having a dead man’s switch. Remove foot from pedal = full brake pressure.
Who takes 3/4 of second to physically move their foot from the accelerator to the brake in a panic stop?
It would be interesting but I wouldn't want to drive that on a daily basis.

I hate to sidetrack this wonderful thread any more but any chance you can point me to a source on the .15g? My Google-fu came up empty on a quick search.

I hate to sidetrack this wonderful thread any more but any chance you can point me to a source on the .15g? My Google-fu came up empty on a quick search.

I think that was from one of the reviews of the RWD Model 3. I haven't seen anything on the AWD/performance version to see how much regen they will have available. But I thought Elon would say it would likely be to the traction limit of the tires. Elon Musk on Twitter

No, but dual motors mean increased regen braking & will ride tire traction limit. You won’t notice sport brakes unless you’re on a racetrack & have the sticky 20” tires.

• Informative
Reactions: khraiv and EinSV
D3C2EC38-0AB1-4EE6-868C-B586A89B1837.jpeg

From motortrend. Not sure what Elon is trying to say in that tweet but 1g of regen at 60mph would probably cause the battery to burst into flames. Also the motors aren’t large enough.

I don't see anyone implementing one pedal driving to that extreme. Foot slips, etc could bring on full slam on the brakes.

Reactions: mongo