Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla M3 LR-RWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - I'm aware of what configurations are currently being offered in the UK, but curious to know if the Long Range, Rear Wheel Drive with Premium interior is likely to be offered in the future (i.e. 2020) - I know this configuration is/was offered in the US and just wondering if it's ever likely to hit our shores. Thanks.

They have been saying they wold kill it off for a while now, but it could come back at a later date.

Here's a range chart

3-mi-710.png

How sad. My year old LR RWD has been a pleasure to own--great range and plenty of power. Unless you need to impress friends and family with the power of a P3D or you plan to drive in deep snow or on unimproved roads on a regular basis, the RWD does everything else very well. In my case, superchargers are few and far between where I drive, so I need LR, but an SR+ may meet your needs. I DO recommend that you opt for the premium interior. I didn't think it was necessary, but when I ordered the car, it was the only configuration available. Boy, was I wrong. The map features are awesome and the audio is second to none. Sure hope the LR RWD configuration becomes available in the future. To me, it's the best option

Thanks for the confirmation. Would be interested to know by how much the range differs between AWD and RWD.

teslike.com/range

LR3RearWD: 327 miles - 30 minutes charge adds:- 220 miles
LR3AllWD: 304 miles - 30 mins:- 205 miles

It seems that LR3RWD only offered in US until March 2019 (web/off-menu?).

wikipedia model 3
0-60 5 seconds vs 4.4 ish but it seems these are worse than people are finding in real life (4.6 vs 4 according to wikipedia). Something I didn't know is that ALL model 3's have 283 hp from rear motor - EXCEPT LR3AWD - they have just 252 hp from rear (plus 197 from front, same as performance) - so AWD really is deliberately limited - whether that's because of max power across both both motors from the battery is a possibility. It might explain the P lite/minus. They hadn't got around to limiting the right-hand drive rear motor power for AWD.

RWD efficiency
26 kWh/100 miles (16 kWh/100 km)
MPGe:
130 miles (209 km) combined
136 miles (219 km) city
123 miles (198 km) highway

AWD 29 kWh/100 miles (18 kWh/100 km)
MPGe:
116 miles (187 km) combined
120 miles (193 km) city
112 miles (180 km) highway

How sad. My year old LR RWD has been a pleasure to own--great range and plenty of power. Unless you need to impress friends and family with the power of a P3D or you plan to drive in deep snow or on unimproved roads on a regular basis, the RWD does everything else very well. In my case, superchargers are few and far between where I drive, so I need LR, but an SR+ may meet your needs. I DO recommend that you opt for the premium interior. I didn't think it was necessary, but when I ordered the car, it was the only configuration available. Boy, was I wrong. The map features are awesome and the audio is second to none. Sure hope the LR RWD configuration becomes available in the future. To me, it's the best option

You have pretty much summed up my reasons for wanting the LR-RWD/Premium.

I live in the North West of England - snow here is pretty rare - and when it does it is a couple of inches at worst, and doesn't hang around for very long. I really have no use or need for AWD so I am pretty loathe to have to pay for it.

I have zero interest in impressing anyone and 0-60 times are pretty much wasted on me - I am pushing 70 and my boy racer days are very much a distant memory!

The range of the LR-RWD is attractive to me and so is the Premium interior.

Seems that I will just have to be patient and hope that Tesla brings back my choice, because I really do want to become a Tesla fan!

Cheers!

Reactions: ArcticStation
teslike.com/range

LR3RearWD: 327 miles - 30 minutes charge adds:- 220 miles
LR3AllWD: 304 miles - 30 mins:- 205 miles

It seems that LR3RWD only offered in US until March 2019 (web/off-menu?).

wikipedia model 3
0-60 5 seconds vs 4.4 ish but it seems these are worse than people are finding in real life (4.6 vs 4 according to wikipedia). Something I didn't know is that ALL model 3's have 283 hp from rear motor - EXCEPT LR3AWD - they have just 252 hp from rear (plus 197 from front, same as performance) - so AWD really is deliberately limited - whether that's because of max power across both both motors from the battery is a possibility. It might explain the P lite/minus. They hadn't got around to limiting the right-hand drive rear motor power for AWD.

RWD efficiency
26 kWh/100 miles (16 kWh/100 km)
MPGe:
130 miles (209 km) combined
136 miles (219 km) city
123 miles (198 km) highway

AWD 29 kWh/100 miles (18 kWh/100 km)
MPGe:
116 miles (187 km) combined
120 miles (193 km) city
112 miles (180 km) highway

Thanks for that valuable info - you certainly know more about this stuff than me!

Reactions: UkNorthampton
Eventually all the options will come back, once they aren't quite so under capacity for demand and everything is ticking over nicely worldwide. So sometime in the next 5 (maybe 10, definitely 15) years they will have steps every £3k most of the way from £35k up to £65k by varying AWD/RWD and battery size I think.

When that will be is essentially impossible to predict. If you need a car now choose whats on the menu now. If you don't then there is unlikely to be any harm in waiting.

I too would have been happy with the RWD edition, but really don't want to continue spewing petrol fumes so talked myself into the AWD. I don't need it, but its what is available.

Eventually all the options will come back, once they aren't quite so under capacity for demand and everything is ticking over nicely worldwide. So sometime in the next 5 (maybe 10, definitely 15) years they will have steps every £3k most of the way from £35k up to £65k by varying AWD/RWD and battery size I think.

When that will be is essentially impossible to predict. If you need a car now choose whats on the menu now. If you don't then there is unlikely to be any harm in waiting.

I too would have been happy with the RWD edition, but really don't want to continue spewing petrol fumes so talked myself into the AWD. I don't need it, but its what is available.

I realise there is logic in their decision to limit the model range in order to maximise revenues and whittle away the waiting lists as quickly as possible - fortunately I am not in a hurry to switch to an EV, otherwise I would probably have taken the same route as yourself. In the meantime I will closely follow events and eagerly await the reports of those who have been patiently waiting for their M3 for so long. It's quite possible that the next car I buy will be my last - I tend to keep my cars for a long time - so I really need to make the right decision as to which EV I decide on. Thanks for your input and opinion.

Thanks for that valuable info - you certainly know more about this stuff than me!

Thanks, but info came from here and elsewhere - just learning this info myself.

Originally I wanted red P- (Performance with 18 inch wheels), then changed to white LR-AWD (except Tesla haven't properly updated website despite 3 calls and promises to change - price and colour wrong) and am now considering if SR+ good enough / better (insurance for family members now learning, for inheriting / some use 2-3 years hence).

I'm undecided as to what I really need. Some days I fancy full Performance, then I hit a pothole and Performnace lite / LR3AWD wanted - then I think about the money and SR+ seems fine. LR3AWD use case revolves around range. My job is erratic - next gig could be by train, 25 miles away or 100+ miles away with a stay in a hotel without charging. The later pushes me towards the longest range I can get.

Thanks, but info came from here and elsewhere - just learning this info myself.

Originally I wanted red P- (Performance with 18 inch wheels), then changed to white LR-AWD (except Tesla haven't properly updated website despite 3 calls and promises to change - price and colour wrong) and am now considering if SR+ good enough / better (insurance for family members now learning, for inheriting / some use 2-3 years hence).

I'm undecided as to what I really need. Some days I fancy full Performance, then I hit a pothole and Performnace lite / LR3AWD wanted - then I think about the money and SR+ seems fine. LR3AWD use case revolves around range. My job is erratic - next gig could be by train, 25 miles away or 100+ miles away with a stay in a hotel without charging. The later pushes me towards the longest range I can get.

I guess it's a learning curve for any of us who have little or no prior knowledge or experience of EVs - I very much put myself in that category. I think it's a case of finding the right model that best suits our own individual circumstances. Whichever model, or indeed make, I eventually decide on, one thing is certain - it will definitely be one without an exhaust pipe!

Hi - I'm aware of what configurations are currently being offered in the UK, but curious to know if the Long Range, Rear Wheel Drive with Premium interior is likely to be offered in the future (i.e. 2020) - I know this configuration is/was offered in the US and just wondering if it's ever likely to hit our shores. Thanks.
My suspicion is that it was embarrassing the range of the Model S. Maybe now Raven has increased that range, they could bring it back? But who knows?

• Helpful
Reactions: Avendit
My suspicion is that it was embarrassing the range of the Model S. Maybe now Raven has increased that range, they could bring it back? But who knows?

Well, notwithstanding everything that has already been said, there surely must be a demand for the longest possible range without the requirement for AWD - I'm sure I am not the only person in the UK who wants that!