Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Announcement: $35k Model 3 Available, some price changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
haha i know right. FFS guys.. it's $2,000. Possibly less considering how much you've saved on gas, plus the fact that you've had the damn car for 6 months. So your "early adopter fee" is approximately $2,000.....

But here's the kicker. ALL OF US AGREED THAT THE PRICE WAS WORTH THEIR ASKING PRICE. We all signed on the dotted line saying to ourselves "yup. This product is worth this price. I am going to buy this product".
$2k drop every month....

The purchase price for my car + PUP was $78,000 that same car is now $64,000. October Delivery, but was in service for the first month and 1/2. So got it back mid November. Still has issues from delivery....
That's a huge price drop for 4 months or even 5 months. Yes you get less on your tax credit, but it's no where close to making up that difference.

Cars are always a depreciated asset; electric cars can be even more so depending on lots of other factors. I bought my year old Volt for $29.4k back in late 2012 and now its worth about $7k or so. It will depreciate even more because GM killed the whole Volt line.

*However* I can still get my money's worth from the car by keeping it going as long as I can. I plan on at least another 100k miles on the clock and it will make it and save me $$$ over a gasoline car plus give me the quiet smooth EV experience I enjoy on my commuting.

Use your 3 and get your money's worth and stop worrying about the paper value of it...

Firstly, I did not think they would actually do this now. I'll eat my crow with a beer later.

But secondly, what is this I'm reading, you can only buy a Tesla online now? Isn't that how it was always done? I'm a bit confused.

Also, reading further, they're talking about closing stores? What is this? Some secret strategy to increase customer service?

And I'm sorry, but there's no way in hell I'm buying a car I cannot test drive first.

You’d be surprised. I thought the same thing about never buying a car I didn’t test drive first. I took a leap of faith and did not have any issues.

I think they are hurting for sales and had no choice but to release the
I'd rather sit at a supercharger for $2k worth of electricity. I'm going to drive all over this world.

So far I have 22K miles on my car in 7 months.

The remainder of the life of this car is going to be free Supercharging
Might as well join Uber and Lyft, then drive around making money with those supercharger credits during your free time. Burn those free credits while making some money in return.

haha i know right. FFS guys.. it's $2,000. Possibly less considering how much you've saved on gas, plus the fact that you've had the damn car for 6 months. So your "early adopter fee" is approximately $2,000.....

But here's the kicker. ALL OF US AGREED THAT THE PRICE WAS WORTH THEIR ASKING PRICE. We all signed on the dotted line saying to ourselves "yup. This product is worth this price. I am going to buy this product".

Yes but when takes are thrown in it’s even more of a difference. The value of our cars has diminished greatly. I paid $60,000 for mine (after tax credit and including interest charges). You can now get the same car for like $50,000 after credits, tax differences, and interest charges with a similar loan. Can I even get $50,000 for my $60,000 car now? Probably not even close. It’s 6 months old with 3000 miles and has lost a TON of value. Values will depreciate faster than normal cars.

Yes but when takes are thrown in it’s even more of a difference. The value of our cars has diminished greatly. I paid $60,000 for mine (after tax credit and including interest charges). You can now get the same car for like $50,000 after credits, tax differences, and interest charges with a similar loan. Can I even get $50,000 for my $60,000 car now? Probably not even close. It’s 6 months old with 3000 miles and has lost a TON of value. Values will depreciate faster than normal cars.

Welcome to Tesla, where the crushing depreciation of automobiles intersects with the soul-crushing depreciation of emerging technology.

It lost a ton of value the moment you drove it away.

If you're not selling it now, or in the next 3 years, it likely won't make any difference.

So you bought your car 6 months ago, and paid a few thousand dollars more than what it costs now. Who cares! When you bought your car, did you think it was a fair price? Were you happy with the car and the experience? If yes then deal with it, prices get cheaper over time, a mass produced car is NEVER an investment; if you weren't happy with it then why didn't you return it?

Tesla doesn't adhere to the regular model year options like other manufacturers. So things like this are to be expected. I mean look at it another way. You buy a bright new shiny iPhone on launch day. Do you whine and complain to Apple when the next model comes out that they reduced the price of the last one? No, so suck it up and ENJOY YOUR CAR!