Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Tesla Model 3 | DIY Ceramic Coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a little bit of coating left after the two coats which I'm going to apply to the wheels when I get a chance. I'm going to buy another smaller kit to do the windows and roof glass. I'll likely post an additional two videos with those processes.

Are these coatings good for glass? Seems like they have separate line of coatings specifically for glass surfaces. That may be marketing though LOL.

Also, I've decided to bite the bullet and just try out polishing. I'll try it out on my wife's car first just in case I mess it up : )

~Paik

• Funny
Reactions: Falcon3
Sorry probably a dumb question but if I apply a ceramic coat, does that mean I can not use touch up paint to fix any rock chips, scratches, etc?
I used a Dr. ColorChip touch up paint on the hood my multi-coat red Model 3 after applying Geyon Quartz. The blending liquid removed the coating, and now I need to redo the entire hood. It was most noticeable when washing, it does a great job repelling water, but could also be seen under the right lighting conditions. A few sprays of the Cure liquid seems to return the hydrophobic coating to normal, but it doesn't last.

I used a Dr. ColorChip touch up paint on the hood my multi-coat red Model 3 after applying Geyon Quartz. The blending liquid removed the coating, and now I need to redo the entire hood. It was most noticeable when washing, it does a great job repelling water, but could also be seen under the right lighting conditions. A few sprays of the Cure liquid seems to return the hydrophobic coating to normal, but it doesn't last.

Cool. Thx for response. I guess the most efficient way to do it is touch up car after ceramic coat wears off which I’m guessing is about 1 year from what I’ve read, then touch up car, then reapply the ceramic coat. Just have to live with the inevitable accumulation of chips and scratches...

Length 11:26 | 12 Hours Labor | 24 Hours Cure

TLDW

How to wash, Clay, Polish, Prep, Ceramic Coat.

1) Wash with the two bucket system top to bottom, a foam cannon is handy.
2) Clay bar the whole car to get ride of contaminants.
3) Polish using a random orbital polisher and M205 with a orange pad.
4) Prep using Gyeon prep (or other like product)
5) Unboxing of the Gyeon Mohs Kit
6) Applying ceramic coating in a hatch pattern, work in 2x2 sections and wipe away after 10-30s
7) ohhhh shinnnyy

Have you wrapped your car in PPF? Or just with Ceramic?

Some bad experience for me.

I am totally new to this and I watched this video and bought the same exact equipment from amazon.

Mother car wash, mother clay bar kit, M205 polish, random orbital polisher, Gyeon prep and Cquarz UK 3.0.

I had exact the same model3 (red). I spent about 4~5 hours by following the video to clean up and prepare for coating. Everything when very smooth at this point and my car was very clean and shinny.

After let it dry for another hour I started cquarz ceramic coating. I am doing it in my garage at night. applying coating is very easy and I am done in half hour, it seems great in my garage and I was happen and let it dry over night.

next day in the morning, it was cloudy and I drove my car out of garage, oh my goooooodness.... there are so many streaks and hazing in the car and my brand new model 3 look like has been used for decade and paint starting fading..... I was totally freaking out and try to remove all streaks by wiping it but it was already dried out... I searched on line for a solution and find out need to buffer/polish the whole car to remove ceramic coating. Luckily I bought a orbital polisher, so I spent another hour to buffer the whole car, finally it went back to original condition and I believe I have successfully removed ceramic coating....

I have no idea why this happen to me but not everyone else.... I should take a photo of it but I was so freaking out and forgot...

Any suggestion ?

THanks,

Some bad experience for me.

I am totally new to this and I watched this video and bought the same exact equipment from amazon.

Mother car wash, mother clay bar kit, M205 polish, random orbital polisher, Gyeon prep and Cquarz UK 3.0.

I had exact the same model3 (red). I spent about 4~5 hours by following the video to clean up and prepare for coating. Everything when very smooth at this point and my car was very clean and shinny.

After let it dry for another hour I started cquarz ceramic coating. I am doing it in my garage at night. applying coating is very easy and I am done in half hour, it seems great in my garage and I was happen and let it dry over night.

next day in the morning, it was cloudy and I drove my car out of garage, oh my goooooodness.... there are so many streaks and hazing in the car and my brand new model 3 look like has been used for decade and paint starting fading..... I was totally freaking out and try to remove all streaks by wiping it but it was already dried out... I searched on line for a solution and find out need to buffer/polish the whole car to remove ceramic coating. Luckily I bought a orbital polisher, so I spent another hour to buffer the whole car, finally it went back to original condition and I believe I have successfully removed ceramic coating....

I have no idea why this happen to me but not everyone else.... I should take a photo of it but I was so freaking out and forgot...

Any suggestion ?

THanks,

Half an hour seems quick to do the whole car with ceramic coating. Are you doing it in 2x2 sections and wiping it off with a clean microfiber cloth?

Half an hour seems quick to do the whole car with ceramic coating. Are you doing it in 2x2 sections and wiping it off with a clean microfiber cloth?

Sorry may be close to one hour I could not remember. Yes I do work on small sections, usually no larger than half door size. And I did follow the instruction to wipe it after half min to one min. The instruction mentioned wipe it "gently" but I believe I did wipe it pretty hard since if I do it gently it would leave me very noticeable streak.

Sorry may be close to one hour I could not remember. Yes I do work on small sections, usually no larger than half door size. And I did follow the instruction to wipe it after half min to one min. The instruction mentioned wipe it "gently" but I believe I did wipe it pretty hard since if I do it gently it would leave me very noticeable streak.

Do it again on a small section and try wiping it sooner than the 30 seconds. Depending on how hot your garage is and how much you put on is that it might have dried too quickly. Also, try finding a better light source so you can inspect the panel after wiping it off.

Thanks, I would like to try it again but I run out of cquarz, will take another two~three days for it arrive.

Should I start over from wash/clay/polish/coating ? or may be I can just do a wash and coating?

Wash forsure and maybe clay if you park near trees with sap. Maybe skip polish unless you have to print correct scratches or what was left behind previously. Clay should go by faster since you shouldn't have that much contaminants.

Even an hour seems like a short time. It took me far longer. The streaking sounds like not enough of the Cquartz was removed before curing. You may have to wash off the Cquartz streaking with something stronger than the mothers car wash. (something that is not made to preserve car wax when washing)

Basically wash your car until you don't see the streaking and reapply Cquartz making sure you buff/wipe off any excess coating.

You used a full bottle of CQuatz on one Model 3? That's WAY too much and would explain why it was difficult to buff off. Less is more with this stuff. I put a coat of CQuartz on a Model 3. I still have half of the 30ml bottle left. Just a thin line of product on an applicator should be good for a 2x2 foot section.

You used a full bottle of CQuatz on one Model 3? That's WAY too much and would explain why it was difficult to buff off. Less is more with this stuff. I put a coat of CQuartz on a Model 3. I still have half of the 30ml bottle left. Just a thin line of product on an applicator should be good for a 2x2 foot section.

Can you apply more coats if you have product left over? How many coats can you apply?

Also while preparing the paint, after clay, can I use Zaino Z5 to get existing little swirls out made by dealer? I'll use alcohol to take it our later. Then cquartz.

Any advice?

Good catch.....This may explain...... yes I did more than a thin line per section. I always felt a thin line is not enough since I can barely observe the layer when I reach the end of section. I usually put a bond line or a S line on the applicator. May be it is too much and i failed to remove the left over. I do have a little bit left in the bottle but not enough to do the whole car.

Good catch.....This may explain...... yes I did more than a thin line per section. I always felt a thin line is not enough since I can barely observe the layer when I reach the end of section. I usually put a bond line or a S line on the applicator. May be it is too much and i failed to remove the left over. I do have a little bit left in the bottle but not enough to do the whole car.

Yeah, the whole bottle is too much. Haven't gotten my 3 to work on it yet, but on my suv, I had slightly less than half the bottle left. With what's left, you might as well try working on one of the fenders first. Maybe do 10-15 drops in a line on the applicator.