Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Down: Won't Power Up, and is Inaccessible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Tesla finally got back to me and it appears that they have to change out the screen and whatever the module it’s connected to. Unfortunately they have no idea when that will happen. I think it’s a crazy that some water on the dash would cause so much damage to the whole system. I’m sure Tesla will have to deal with this pronto because washing your windshield or putting tint on it should not lead to a complete system failure of the Model 3. I’m going to have to keep research if others have had this happen to them. I’m so pissed.
Sorry for your issue. How much water are we talking about? I’m sure you didn’t dump a gallon of water behind your dash. How did the water get there? We shouldn’t have to worry about cleaning the windshield with glass cleaner, etc and being concerned about a drop or two getting behind the dash.

Reactions: GSP and navguy12
We have this on our front windshield of the S, and it really helps with the heat during the summer.
It's still not legal. Absolutely "transparent" film is not transparent enough and will not fit within 70% transparency margins. The only way to have legal heat rejecting windshield is to have it from factory or as replacement windscreen. It looks purple.
attachment.php

Tinting windshield won't change water ingress probability because windscreen is not removed during tinting procedure.
Original sealant is not cut at all. Interior trim can be removed, but it is not responsible for water ingress.

It's still not legal. Absolutely "transparent" film is not transparent enough and will not fit within 70% transparency margins. The only way to have legal heat rejecting windshield is to have it from factory or as replacement windscreen. It looks purple.

3M had 90% visible light transparent film back in 2011. If original was more than 80% transparent, the result would still be above 70%.

Tinting windshield won't change water ingress probability because windscreen is not removed during tinting procedure.
Original sealant is not cut at all. Interior trim can be removed, but it is not responsible for water ingress.

The issue is with the water used when installing the film to the interior of the windshield, not from exterior water ingress.

@mongo
AFAIK, windshield with no films is pretty close to that 70%. Majority is not absorption, but reflection.

If water used while installing is too much, then Tesla has to change something very soon.
If somebody will sleep in the cabin with HVAC off or HVAC on but recirculation on, there can be a lot of water dripping down the glass.
I've had that many times in my vehicles.

@mongo
AFAIK, windshield with no films is pretty close to that 70%. Majority is not absorption, but reflection.

If water used while installing is too much, then Tesla has to change something very soon.
If somebody will sleep in the cabin with HVAC off or HVAC on but recirculation on, there can be a lot of water dripping down the glass.
I've had that many times in my vehicles.

Doesn't transparency/ transmission include effects from both absorption and reflection?

Agree on water susceptibility, frost testing should have highlighted any problems (soak car/ component at below freezing temps, then expose to high temp/high humidity, causes frost formation on all surfaces followed by melting/ free water).

I'm really sad if they have unsealed connectors facing upwards...

Of course, I had to replace a dishwasher keypad due to their decision to have a flex connector exit the PCB vertically near the steam vent... Condensation ran down and corroded the connections...

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and navguy12
Both. Absorption and reflection. Measuring machine sends light, whatever gets reflected or absorbed is lost.
This is why totally clear laminated windshield is far from 100%. There are at least 4 medium change boundaries.
Adding a film will add one/two more.

I saw a model that they bolted modules onto the firewall. Modules are usually IP30.

There are “tints” available, which help mitigate heat intrusion, but are clear. I assume that the same problem may arise with installation.

We have this on our front windshield of the S, and it really helps with the heat during the summer.
I live in Florida and full tinting of the windshield is allowed for those who can a medical necessity, which I qualify for. However, that front windshield is so big that I can't blame anyone for wanting to put additional tint, medical necessity or not. It gets brutal down here in the summer.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
Putting tint on your windshield should raise your insurance. Savvy drivers look into cars to see if the driver is paying attention to driving. Attenuating that imaging increases the risk in traffic to all other drivers.

ie - It tells me whether you are playing Pokemon Go or staring into your crotch while texting so I can assess you as a road hazard.

Sorry for your issue. How much water are we talking about? I’m sure you didn’t dump a gallon of water behind your dash. How did the water get there? We shouldn’t have to worry about cleaning the windshield with glass cleaner, etc and being concerned about a drop or two getting behind the dash.
The interior glass on the doors and windshield were sprayed, squeegeed and wiped clean prior to installing the tint. Nothing out of the ordinary. Before doing any of that they placed paper towels over the whole dash and over the console to protect them from the spray and potential runoff. This is exactly the same way it was done on my Model S in 2013. Anyway, once they cleaned the windshield, the AC started up and I was asked to turn it off. I turned it off, he wiped it again and the AC went on again. This time, when I went to turn it off, the console was acting very strange, as though I was trying to press multiple spots on the screen at once. It was also not turning off the AC. It would keep turning it on as soon as I turned it off. I was only able to lower the fan speed to minimum. The other weird thing was that I could not close the center storage covers. It was as if the magnets stopped working. Lastly, I am pretty sure I saw a cursor on the main console screen at some point as I attempted to turn the car off. Very weird. By the time they finished their work, the console display did not work at all. It was just blank. I tried to reset it, but nothing worked. The problems started right away as soon as they cleaned the glass so I don't know what to tell you. I am waiting for the SC to replace the main computer and hopefully that will fix it, but now I am concerned about the quality of the wiring and if they are all exposed under the dash. Something in the design has to change to prevent this from happening. I am glad to know I'm not the only one that this occurred to.

The interior glass on the doors and windshield were sprayed, squeegeed and wiped clean prior to installing the tint. Nothing out of the ordinary. Before doing any of that they placed paper towels over the whole dash and over the console to protect them from the spray and potential runoff. This is exactly the same way it was done on my Model S in 2013. Anyway, once they cleaned the windshield, the AC started up and I was asked to turn it off. I turned it off, he wiped it again and the AC went on again. This time, when I went to turn it off, the console was acting very strange, as though I was trying to press multiple spots on the screen at once. It was also not turning off the AC. It would keep turning it on as soon as I turned it off. I was only able to lower the fan speed to minimum. The other weird thing was that I could not close the center storage covers. It was as if the magnets stopped working. Lastly, I am pretty sure I saw a cursor on the main console screen at some point as I attempted to turn the car off. Very weird. By the time they finished their work, the console display did not work at all. It was just blank. I tried to reset it, but nothing worked. The problems started right away as soon as they cleaned the glass so I don't know what to tell you. I am waiting for the SC to replace the main computer and hopefully that will fix it, but now I am concerned about the quality of the wiring and if they are all exposed under the dash. Something in the design has to change to prevent this from happening. I am glad to know I'm not the only one that this occurred to.

That sounds like the phantom touch issue. It may also be possible that they inadvertently leaned on the display.

Putting tint on your windshield should raise your insurance. Savvy drivers look into cars to see if the driver is paying attention to driving. Attenuating that imaging increases the risk in traffic to all other drivers.

ie - It tells me whether you are playing Pokemon Go or staring into your crotch while texting so I can assess you as a road hazard.

I am not talking about a dark tint, but rather a special, mostly clear tint that reduces all the other rays and helps keep the interior cooler.

Yes, we have the 0% tint designed just to reduce heat. Works amazingly well in the summer. No visibility issues.
0% materials are not real.
One can design a plastic film that doesn't have black die, but it will reduce transparency anyway.
Visibility likely will not be significantly reduced.

I'm sceptical about filtration ability. What does it do at all. Absolute clear glass block almost all UV rays and a lot of IR rays.
If it doesn't block visible light, it hardly blocks anything.

Having ridden motorcycles for years, looking at what the driver is doing, such as turning their head or making eye contact, is a great way to get killed when they seem to acknowledge you and then pull out right in front of you or make an unexpected lane change.

The only thing anyone should be looking at to figure out what a car is going to do is the front tires.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and F_T_K
Having ridden motorcycles for years, looking at what the driver is doing, such as turning their head or making eye contact, is a great way to get killed when they seem to acknowledge you and then pull out right in front of you or make an unexpected lane change.

The only thing anyone should be looking at to figure out what a car is going to do is the front tires.

If their head is pointed at their groin when they are approaching a stop sign, I'll continue to assume they aren't going to stop. You can assume they will stop.

My MC license was issued in '75 and I'm still alive. I will continue to assume the worst of drivers, and continue to use situational awareness. Ride however you see fit.