Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SSDs are ideal, really.
I bought a Samsung T5 1 TB SSD. Split it into two partitions (one for music, one for videos). Note that if you do that sort of thing, you have to reformat the drive, since the Model 3 runs (if I remember rightly) a Linux variant: the standard Windows NTFS won't work, nor will Apple's HFS+ (or APFS, for that matter.) To add to the fun, Windows won't format a FAT32 drive to higher than 32 GB capacity.

$279 at JB Hifi. It's probably the best tradeoff between cost, performance, and capacity.

Side note: if anybody in Melbourne needs help formatting a large drive for use in the Model 3, feel free to drop me a private message. I have the systems and knowledge to do it quickly (neither Windows nor macOS make it particularly straightforward, unfortunately). I'm in the eastern suburbs - if you say Eastland, you won't be far out.

Side note: if anybody in Melbourne needs help formatting a large drive for use in the Model 3, feel free to drop me a private message. I have the systems and knowledge to do it quickly (neither Windows nor macOS make it particularly straightforward, unfortunately). I'm in the eastern suburbs - if you say Eastland, you won't be far out.

FWIW I can do the same in North West Sydney.

I bought a Samsung T5 1 TB SSD. Split it into two partitions (one for music, one for videos). Note that if you do that sort of thing, you have to reformat the drive, since the Model 3 runs (if I remember rightly) a Linux variant: the standard Windows NTFS won't work, nor will Apple's HFS+ (or APFS, for that matter.) To add to the fun, Windows won't format a FAT32 drive to higher than 32 GB capacity.

$279 at JB Hifi. It's probably the best tradeoff between cost, performance, and capacity.

Bought same, but Samsung T5 SSD 500mb, $99 umart and the Jeda usb hub

Reactions: DavidRL
If there is no VIN in the source code, does that mean there will be no car allocated to that order in the first batch. Does anyone know this ?

Impossible to say. But order should be similar to UK- something like this -
Employees, Existing Owners, Reservation Holder Order, with Premium vehicles first - higher profit margins first - total guess on my part - no knowledge of this - but wouldn’t seem unreasonable, but UK hasn’t totally followed this, some premium later orders have got vehicles before SR+ reservation holders, and some SR+ have gone out in some random order.

Reactions: stuartl
I have heard the 7000 figure before as well.

It is interesting for sure.. I am one of the original reservation holders. And also one of the 4,500 that have not, so far, proceeded to order.
My reason is the LR battery, to me, will cost a minimum of $ 23,000 to get a 17.5 kw h bigger battery .. so am hesitating at that price, and the SR+ doesn't suit my needs, not after the performance. ( FWIW i think the price of the SR+ is fine, so is the performance. )
So I am only a single sample of those that have yet to convert from reservation to order - I have no idea what the other 4,500 reservation holders are ding, some may have cancelled, some are holding our for the LR RWD to re-appear again, others may have difficulty with the money - situations change.

Tesla told me at Martin place, last week, that if I dont order I will miss out on September deliveries, and have to wait till December. They were busy in Martin place at the time , and I had an appointment so didn't hang around to ask more questions.

So perhaps Tesla are figuring out there options as to how to "convert " 4,500 reservation holders (might be less now ) , to actual sales orders.

Perhaps they can find the demand levers in marketing , so that after the 2,500 initial deliveries done, then another large batch in September, and another in December, and finally settle down to some kind of sales / manufacturing normality. End target of course between now and December would be to translate a far higher percentage from reservations to sales.
The next trigger is test drives. It will generate a lot of sales.

0F06E488-8AEA-44CB-B492-D56BA9BB14BE.jpeg

OMG. The first invoice has advised has been issued in NZ. What a day so far.

This has to be his car vin 443650.

Paul Stananought on Twitter

This is the same person told his car was on the wharf.
View attachment 442386
It confirms a few things vin date and compliance date 9 July. (Vin reg dat was July 7 - could be July 6 depending on timezone.
On ship - Jul 12-13 works. 3 days to get to Oakland. Tesla are known to move cars qiuickly from the factory
Vin is now real- after ship arrival - like we were told - Cap was the last ship.

I think the compliance date can't be until it is actually in the country and fitted with the compliance plates? At least this is how it was with my BMW... It got "complianced" on the docks...

Also.... I hate to break it to them but Tesla misspelled compliance.... Compilance lol