Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you are right, some Model 3 owners would be interested.
Hopefully, in the future, Tesla will allow TC to be able to be fully turned off.
Yes, there are interested owners. The answer is to buy a performance model and put it into track mode. Look at the recent Randy Probst videos. Once track mode got tuned a little the Performance (stock) was equaling the times for a Ferrari Italia. OK, it's an older Ferrari but not that old and it tells you the potential for the car.

I’d like to know if Andreas Stephens, the #1 reserver in the world, is ready to pull the trigger when the Configurator is opened up, or whether he’s moved on :)
I think Tesla Staff were the #1 reservers. Apart from that, unless he was the guy & gal in line in Melbourne on the first morning, then he wasn't the first. Melbourne was taking reservations 15 minutes before Sydney.

I thought so too, but I had heard that some US employees in Fremont had put in reservations earlier and the 2 people at the front of the line in Melbourne were not owners but their reservation was taken nontheless, even though it was meant to only be an owners day for reserving.

The day Tesla opened orders there was no suggestion that it was for existing owners only. I was one of the people who lined up in Lane Cove NSW on the day, nobody suggested Tesla wasn't going to take my money (and they were eager to do so).

I am not a current Tesla owner, as since 2010 I've not lived in a house that could accommodate an S or X in the garage (or any other similar sized car - current garage is under 5m wide and barely fits the two in it at the moment). I fully expect this means I will wait in line for another few weeks as people add their second or third Tesla to their personal fleet while I wait for my first, but after 3 years what's another few weeks? It's a small price to pay to participate in the de-polluting of the Australian car fleet.

The day Tesla opened orders there was no suggestion that it was for existing owners only. I was one of the people who lined up in Lane Cove NSW on the day, nobody suggested Tesla wasn't going to take my money (and they were eager to do so).

I am not a current Tesla owner, as since 2010 I've not lived in a house that could accommodate an S or X in the garage (or any other similar sized car - current garage is under 5m wide and barely fits the two in it at the moment). I fully expect this means I will wait in line for another few weeks as people add their second or third Tesla to their personal fleet while I wait for my first, but after 3 years what's another few weeks? It's a small price to pay to participate in the de-polluting of the Australian car fleet.
They were taking any reservations, but there was some talk of them preferentially fulfilling the orders of current owners. I suppose the thinking being that current owners had already invested their money in the company so should get some reward.
I ended up buying a Model S and only recently cancelled my reservation. By the time the 3 hits Australia most orders should be filled quickly, so it probably doesn't matter what order they fulfill them.

Reactions: houdini
I think Tesla Staff were the #1 reservers. Apart from that, unless he was the guy & gal in line in Melbourne on the first morning, then he wasn't the first. Melbourne was taking reservations 15 minutes before Sydney.
I didn’t think I needed to be pedantic, but Tesla employees don’t count. It is generally understood that when talking about the “waiters” we are talking about the general public, not Tesla employees (who we all know got first bite of the cherry before reservations opened up to everyone else).

So yes, I am talking about the guy at the head of the line at the St Leonards store in Sydney. I was there and doors opened up at 08:00 on the dot. I have not seen verified information that the Melbourne store took public reservations ahead of its scheduled 08:00 opening. Has someone posted a time stamp from their reservation email proving it?

Brisbane doesn’t have daylight saving, and didn’t have a store at the time, so reservations were taken at the Carindale Shopping Centre from 9:00am their time, two hours after reservations opened in Sydney and Melbourne. Everyone else in Australia had to do it online at the time of the reveal, 30 hours later.

• Informative
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Since I put my order in only about a year and a half ago, I do not expect to be in the first wave when the configuration opens for Australia. I suspect they will take enough orders for 1-2 ship loads, then make and ship those, then invite the next 1-2 shiploads to configure. Since they will be filling orders from the rest of the world at the same time and as they have stated the manufacturing is constrained by battery production speed still, I would be happy if I got mine before the end of the year (though I would be really happy if I got mine as early as August though doubtful). I don't mind a little extra wait, as it allows me to sort my electricity out in the house. I have managed to get 5kw solar already on roof and 10kw battery attached to the solar. I am in the process of changing my energy rates and metering and will hopefully get a controlled load connection to my garage for the charger for the rainy days when solar will not produce enough.

I didn’t think I needed to be pedantic, but Tesla employees don’t count. It is generally understood that when talking about the “waiters” we are talking about the general public, not Tesla employees (who we all know got first bite of the cherry before reservations opened up to everyone else).

So yes, I am talking about the guy at the head of the line at the St Leonards store in Sydney. I was there and doors opened up at 08:00 on the dot. I have not seen verified information that the Melbourne store took public reservations ahead of its scheduled 08:00 opening. Has someone posted a time stamp from their reservation email proving it?

Brisbane doesn’t have daylight saving, and didn’t have a store at the time, so reservations were taken at the Carindale Shopping Centre from 9:00am their time, two hours after reservations opened in Sydney and Melbourne. Everyone else in Australia had to do it online at the time of the reveal, 30 hours later.

Its a pointless issue given the first few hundred will be on the same boat. I guess when they do the media event we’ll all know for sure. At the time it was quite clear, and noting tesla change things all the time so this may no longer be the case, that when the configurator opens everyone will be ranked as follows;
1. Tesla owners with multiple tesla, in order of quantity, and if the same quantity order date decides, then;
2 . Tesla owners with one tesla based on order date, then;
3. General public based on order date.
But the reality is tesla will build and ship cars based on group similarities, as their production seems to now be tailored in that direction, and its likely to be the most expensive variant first. Hence if you are first in line expecting a US$35k variant, you wont be the first model 3 delivered.

...given the first few hundred will be on the same boat.
It will be interesting to me how Tesla handles the Australian market delivery of the Model 3.

Given estimates of about 8,000+ pre-orders for the Model 3 in Oz, a single ship carrier could deliver the whole pre-order batch in one go :) even if they followed the European model of 3,000 per week, it would only take three ship visits to complete the pre-order queue.

Physically delivering the cars to customers could be tough, unless they can streamline the handover significantly. The queue at the supercharging locations would be epic. The next 6-months while this plays out is going to exciting to watch.

It will be interesting to me how Tesla handles the Australian market delivery of the Model 3.

Given estimates of about 8,000+ pre-orders for the Model 3 in Oz, a single ship carrier could deliver the whole pre-order batch in one go :) even if they followed the European model of 3,000 per week, it would only take three ship visits to complete the pre-order queue.

Physically delivering the cars to customers could be tough, unless they can streamline the handover significantly. The queue at the supercharging locations would be epic. The next 6-months while this plays out is going to exciting to watch.
I’d really like to see a lot more superchargers built. The number of Teslas on the road is going to double or triple in the next 12 months.

It would make logical sense to deliver them on 5 separate deliveries to the ports of the 5 major capital cities, given that a majority of the customers will be in these cities. (Yes, I recognise the irony of a Tasmanian talking to another Tasmanian about excluding our state :p ) It doesn't make sense to delivery a shipment to Melbourne and then put all the (e.g.) South Australian vehicles onto trucks, 8-10 at a time, and drive them to Adelaide.

It's actually never occurred to me that I don't know how current manufacturers do it!

I’d really like to see a lot more superchargers built. The number of Teslas on the road is going to double or triple in the next 12 months.

Wouldn't we all! :) Do you mean footprint expansion or duplication of existing routes?

Pictures of the superchargers (and Chargefox chargers!) on the Hume posted to Facebook over Easter last week showed lots of vehicles near the associated facilities but no ICE-ing and plenty of stalls available. Christmas-New Year will be the next peak.

At the V3 announcement I think they said Q4 this year for Asia-Pacific. Interesting to see if they replace or duplicate the existing Melbourne-Sydney-Brisbane route. I think but Wangaratta and Yass are good candidates for new V3 sites, if Tesla decided to go that way. Each are within 250-280 km of Melbourne and Sydney respectively, enough to make the most of high charge rates at low SOC.

We'll get more of an idea of Tesla's V3 rollout plan before then as the North America and Europe rollout happens!

Wouldn't we all! :) Do you mean footprint expansion or duplication of existing routes?

Pictures of the superchargers (and Chargefox chargers!) on the Hume posted to Facebook over Easter last week showed lots of vehicles near the associated facilities but no ICE-ing and plenty of stalls available. Christmas-New Year will be the next peak.

At the V3 announcement I think they said Q4 this year for Asia-Pacific. Interesting to see if they replace or duplicate the existing Melbourne-Sydney-Brisbane route. I think but Wangaratta and Yass are good candidates for new V3 sites, if Tesla decided to go that way. Each are within 250-280 km of Melbourne and Sydney respectively, enough to make the most of high charge rates at low SOC.

We'll get more of an idea of Tesla's V3 rollout plan before then as the North America and Europe rollout happens!
I would benefit from a wider footprint, but I think Tesla would benefit from a few more sites in the major cities.
There is going to be a lot of frustration (justified or otherwise) when all the thousands of M3 owners have to queue for St Leonards or Broadway superchargers.