Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it will be a while until people will trust a Star Trek style transporters and even there for shorter distances they used vehicles, so getting a Model 3 now will not be made obsolete by those. Earth Final Conflict style gateways though might make ground transport obsolete at some point.
I would prefer Star Trek type replicators to the Stargate ones as the latter were somewhat hostile to all life forms.
I didn't mean for people, I meant for manufacturing. No way would I send anything biological through a transporter...

Citation needed? I, and I'm certain others here are currently driving cars that are older than 4 years and are still going strong.

Personally, I'm going to miss my 2009 Subaru when I trade it in.
Mercedes R320 at four years had dropped the suspension, gearbox and a few other things I can't remember as that was a while ago.
Audi A1 (only 40,000 km in seven years) has been just "unwell" for a few years. I won't drive it any more.
Had SAABs before that which also collapsed.
Tesla is the best car I've ever driven and I've driven a lot in 50 odd years and over 1m km.

logged just one defect today via the app and immediately, like instant, got a date of Oct 8th to sort it.
Good to hear that Tesla is at leave responsive, hopefully They will fix it properly.

IMO, it shows that quality control at their factory may be lacking. The car shouldn’t have left the factory with these defects, which don’t have anything to do with the transit/delivery process. These imperfections and defects should have been picked up at the factory. Makes you wonder about things that we can’t see beneath the surface...

Reactions: MonicaPlease
Wow that's a word I have not seen for a long time! I like it, it should come back into fashion.
When I was in my late teens I worked in a newsagency doing deliveries and all the back room stuff in unpacking and sorting magazines... I’m pretty sure there was a men’s magazine by that name back then. For an innocent and naive teenager it was very... educational :p

• Funny
Reactions: Hagrid
Ask the same question after you've had it 4 years (after any "other" car has fallen to bits).
Hmmm... I have bought 4 cars in my life, each one was new. My first was a Holden Barina. I had it for 19 years. It was extremely reliable, the maintenance only started to increase in the last 5 years of ownership (and these were age related e.g. I needed the engine reconditioned and new gaskets put in). My second was a Toyota Corolla Seca hatchback. I had it for 17 years. It too was extremely reliable, can’t recall any major issues I had with it. My third, which I still have, is a Toyota Camry sedan, now 15 years old. It’s starting to show its age but no serious problems. It will get replaced with Model 3. The most recent one was my Nissan LEAF, now 5 years old, which has needed absolutely nothing done to it.

It seems mechanical or other unreliability is the hallmark of expensive, fancy, imported, non-Japanese cars. So the lesson is - buy boring cars and you’ll have no problems.

Reactions: Trodderus
C9AFC98E-3081-4FC1-A9DB-5BA8A92D9E73.jpeg @one4spl Teaser. Ready for delivery Brisbane. 15 waiting for delivery today in basement

Have a great delivery!

Hmmm... I have bought 4 cars in my life, each one was new. My first was a Holden Barina. I had it for 19 years. It was extremely reliable, the maintenance only started to increase in the last 5 years of ownership (and these were age related e.g. I needed the engine reconditioned and new gaskets put in). My second was a Toyota Corolla Seca hatchback. I had it for 17 years. It too was extremely reliable, can’t recall any major issues I had with it. My third, which I still have, is a Toyota Camry sedan, now 15 years old. It’s starting to show its age but no serious problems. It will get replaced with Model 3. The most recent one was my Nissan LEAF, now 5 years old, which has needed absolutely nothing done to it.

It seems mechanical or other unreliability is the hallmark of expensive, fancy, imported, non-Japanese cars. So the lesson is - buy boring cars and you’ll have no problems.
and drive them boringly. I enjoy driving.
The Leaf should last tho.
Father-in-law has a Camry bout 5 years and is starting to have problems (he's not too quick at 84 years old).

Good to hear that Tesla is at leave responsive, hopefully They will fix it properly.

IMO, it shows that quality control at their factory may be lacking. The car shouldn’t have left the factory with these defects, which don’t have anything to do with the transit/delivery process. These imperfections and defects should have been picked up at the factory. Makes you wonder about things that we can’t see beneath the surface...

I think we are all willing to give Tesla some extra rope and latitude understanding what they are ultimately seeking to do.
Many of these delivery issues are BASIC and could be easily resolved. Probably many of the scratches, chips and dents can be attributed to the 3rd party distributer. The 3rd party should not be allowing cars with some of these issues to be delivered without better / further detailing.
I'm sure they are doing all it all for a low price but our expectations are high for a $100K car and should be. Your heart should not sink when you inspect your car for the first time.

We should not be making excuses for Tesla as some of these issues are really basic. You would like to think that the management in Aus has daily standups with the delivery teams (inc 3rd party Logistics) discussing and working to resolve these basic issues at this critical time for Tesla. Who is feeding back to the factory that ie trims are hanging out so this can be fixed, not enough brake fluid etc?
I'm really looking forward to my delivery, but will have no hesitation to walk away if the car is not acceptable.

You kinda hope someone senior in Tesla reads our thread here......the good & the not so good :)

Last edited:

Yep agreed. The rush to get cars out the door is probably deliberate. They figure many of those defects will not be noticed by customers and when they are they’ll deal with the them later. Personally I think it’s a poor decision as it reflects badly on the brand.

When I bought my just sold brand new Mercedes I have to say their predelivery checklist was superb (even though I didn’t like the brand). The car was in absolutely perfect condition and at pick up I was provided with a long and detailed list of items that had been hand ticked off as having been checked. They had even printed me a multi page computer diagnostics dump showing the car had passed all the computer checks. THAT is how they should be trying to deliver the cars, not sending them out the road with brake fluid warnings as you drive out, dents in the panels, acoustic foam hanging out the doors..

I know the excuse is that “they are very busy” but honestly it doesn’t take long to have a staff member at the very least spend 10min per car doing at least a basic look around.

I'm sure they are doing all it all for a low price but our expectations are high for a $100K car and should be. Your heart should not sink when you inspect your car for the first time.

We should not be making excuses for Tesla as some of these issues are really basic. You would like to think that the management in Aus has daily standups with the delivery teams (inc 3rd party Logistics) discussing and working to resolve these basic issues at this critical time for Tesla. Who is feeding back to the factory that ie trims are hanging out so this can be fixed, not enough brake fluid etc?

I have to agree. Tesla is no longer a startup Company that deserves a lot of slack and be given a pass on these things. They have made and delivered hundreds of thousands of cars, they have tens of thousands of employees and are one of the most valuable car Companies in the world with a sky high share price. We should expect and demand better. The days of accepting a bit of stuff on a $100,000 car are over and IMHO if Tesla doesn’t start to address this issue they are going to lose the battle when they come up against a competition that does delivery this kind of great service. Other manufacturers are here and cheaper with equal features. I know down under we’re a tiny market but if you look to overseas you can see that the others, Nissan, Hyundai, are catching up as they have a compelling offer, established brand and good service and delivery. Come on Tesla - it can’t be that hard now.

and drive them boringly. I enjoy driving.
The Leaf should last tho.
Father-in-law has a Camry bout 5 years and is starting to have problems (he's not too quick at 84 years old).
Big assumption is being made here though, in my opinion, @Vostok & @raynewman. Distance traveled is more likely to be the more of a main factor to decide reliability of a car than its life.

Mine is 10 year old BMW, with only 60k km on the odometer. Although I would like to, I don't think I can really claim that it is more reliable than 10 yo Camry that went through 150k km.

Reactions: Tigger
So after being originally scheduled for delivery in the 16th, i couldn't make that and rearranged about a month ago for the 20th when i was back in town. They since tried to reschedule me to the 27th which i couldn't make and we renegotiated the 24th.

So my car was due for delivery in perth this coming Tuesday 24th until i got the dreaded call from tesla... and now it's been brought forward to Monday :)

So perth people have hope!

I wish I could have hope. My delivery was scheduled for today but last Friday the moved it out to 4th of October without any real explanation.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
I think we are really a too small a market to justify the resources for pre inspection in Oz. At least as WA is concerned that is. From Tesla point of view I think their plan is to just to deal with any issues as they come up until they get to any volume. For the 38 cars so far in Perth it doesn't justify a full time inspector at say $80k(?) per year salary + needed repair costs. Way cheaper to just pay the repair costs even if the repairs are much higher than normal. Any business, not matter how great they think they are will have defects in their products.

The end result you want is satisfied customers for the least $ outlay. For the known 38 cars so far in WA they can allow $2100 of repairs per car before they would ever consider a dedicated employee and in reality would be at least double that before an employee starts paying for themselves. I've run businesses for a long time and I would do the same as Tesla as far as this goes...(admittedly I would also do a lot better in paying someone to just tell the customers whats going on which seems to be the greatest concern on this forum here..)

I have no issues having problems with my order, what happens next is way more important and how they resolve the issues. For my defects I put on the video I posted, I logged just one defect today via the app and immediately, like instant, got a date of Oct 8th to sort it. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever have I had a company automatically respond and outside business hrs, with confirmed time to sort my issue. Took a total of 30 seconds and only because I can't type quick ..trying doing that with Telstra..I spent most of my life it seems on the phone with those Telstra robots, call centres/idiots sorting out trivial issues, usually not getting anywhere, and usually at my cost....lost most of my hair because of this company alone. Tesla (not Telstra) is really setting a benchmark here with service, and delivery (many may not agree due to the comms issues but in the grand scheme its still way better) and I truly hope it leads to getting rid of our Wait Awhile (WA) attitude to customer service.. Telstra is setting a low tide benchmark of how crap it can be, and Tesla is setting the high tide benchmark. Tesla won't nail the king tide benchmark till they get the communication issue sorted but hopefully they are getting the message.

Congratulations on getting your car! I know your area well, I live only about 5 minutes away. Unfortunately mine has been delayed.