Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Insurance has been a concern for me. Im in SA and our RAA quotes over $2000 for an X or S (scary) my $50k VW is $600 through them ! Nothing yet for M3. I checked out few other comps the same. AAMI however has insurance for X S at $1000 ie a lot better. Still no M3 so tempted to go Aami when i purchase RWD. Also of interest i contacted my novational lease company to quote me on M3 leasing. They on sell an insurance policy ( dunno who) but the quote was $1600 for M3. Better than RAA and first quote I've had. NLC is my lease company btw.... hope this helps someone....
Apia just quoted $1189 on a new Model S75d

Not sure if I am considered “old” (48, was 44 when I got my S) however my Model S has only ever cost me $1,380pa and our Model X less....apparently my 38 year old wife is a safer bet according to the insurance company (even though I’ve never lost my license, have full points and have never been in an accident, touch wood)...

Not sure if I am considered “old” (48, was 44 when I got my S) however my Model S has only ever cost me $1,380pa and our Model X less....apparently my 38 year old wife is a safer bet according to the insurance company (even though I’ve never lost my license, have full points and have never been in an accident, touch wood)...
Its because statistically the ladies are less likely to total the car, simply because they are too busy destroying wheels on kerbs, denting bumpers, and adjusting makeup mirrors.

Is the 7 days / 1000 km return policy in place for Australia - I thought it'd read it was, but the Salesperson in Tesla Chadstone said today that it wasn't.....

It gave me comfort to know it was there in case (in the phenomenally unlikely event I'm not happy with my choice of car Ive bought without trying it) that i can get out of the purchase at little or no impact to me financially.

She also wasn't sure when she'd have test drives available in a right hand drive (she thought their test drive cars were likely on the same boat as first order cars)....

Is the 7 days / 1000 km return policy in place for Australia - I thought it'd read it was, but the Salesperson in Tesla Chadstone said today that it wasn't.....

It gave me comfort to know it was there in case (in the phenomenally unlikely event I'm not happy with my choice of car Ive bought without trying it) that i can get out of the purchase at little or no impact to me financially.

She also wasn't sure when she'd have test drives available in a right hand drive (she thought their test drive cars were likely on the same boat as first order cars)....
It was definately available (the 7 day cancellation) when I last looked at the website, but it has now been removed.
I’ve learnt that when ordering a tesla, print the material that they provided that influenced your decision. I’m sure its all genuine, but things happen fast at tesla and small details like representations to buyers seem to get missed.
Having said that, I’m sure you will be thrilled with your tesla.

Its because statistically the ladies are less likely to total the car, simply because they are too busy destroying wheels on kerbs, denting bumpers, and adjusting makeup mirrors.

My girlfriend laughs at me because I say I am going to become rich by making a car seat with a rear view mirror for the bathroom. That way ladies can put their makeup on before leaving the house. We were out one morning and I started pointing out all of the women in cars with the rear view mirror turned as they put on eye liner etc. She had a good laugh and finally admitted that I might be on to something.

Has anyone looked into model 3 insurance yet. Might be a bit tricky at first with no cars on the road yet.

Nobody is quoting a model 3 as far as I know. I've been pricing a 2015 Model S 60 (or 75D) at $75k as a guide for quotes (My benchmark has been - QLD, over 30, assuming good driving record, garage, no claims and $2000 excess, 15000km or more per year). Depends on your situation so a good comparison is hard to do.

Huddle is the best I have found at just under a $1000 annual. I don't know them at all.

I have seen quotes for $3000 for the exact same thing.
The bigger players seem to be about $1200-$1800 if they even quote for a Tesla.

Last edited:
For me a Model S 75D w/ 2000 AUD excess, 15000km ,Under 30, Kept in driveway. 1500 AUD on online quote with suncorp. Seems very cheap, not sure why. If financed, then goes up to around 1800 AUD.
Most other insurances don't even offer if the car is not kept in a garage and if they do it is quite pricey, i.e. 2500 -3000 AUD.

I’ve been checking regularly to see if white seats have started to be offered. They haven’t.

Today I saw FSD went up to $8500 from $7100 on the order screen.

Definitely not changing my order now with FSD. Black seats it will be. Locked in FSD at $7100.

Definitely not changing my order now with FSD. Black seats it will be. Locked in FSD at $7100.

Yeah at $7100 pre LCT it was a “hmm don’t think so”...at nearly $12k now with LCT and with the only current ability in Oz being doing a really bad job at self parking I think it’s very much a “Tell them they’re dreaming”.

I give it 6-12months before they realise that 99% of people are no longer buying it and they’d be better off pricing it at some sensible levels especially currently where “Full Self Driving” is 95% pipe dream and 5% reality

Yeah at $7100 pre LCT it was a “hmm don’t think so”...at nearly $12k now with LCT and with the only current ability in Oz being doing a really bad job at self parking I think it’s very much a “Tell them they’re dreaming”.

I give it 6-12months before they realise that 99% of people are no longer buying it and they’d be better off pricing it at some sensible levels especially currently where “Full Self Driving” is 95% pipe dream and 5% reality

Yes, if is up across the world by about USD1000. If the price is the same for an OTA upgrade 5min after delivery then the 8.5k is still cheaper than the old price when you factor in LCT and SD if you are buying the Performance. For 12k I could hire someone to come and park the car for me. I’ll still consider it at delivery @8.5k but it will be more about the future and certainly not about what it can do now in Australia.

So for now my order remains the same - blue performance. Nothing else. I’ve actually warmed to the black interior somewhat.

I've never had an issue with self parking. Always works perfectly for me, whether it is parallel or into a tight spot in a car park. Have you had issues with it?
I can’t speak from personal experience but after hours of watching videos of youtube reviewers it’s not so much that it does a terrible job (although not great) but it is super picky about showing parking is available. It seems to reject the majority of parking spaces.

I’ve been checking regularly to see if white seats have started to be offered. They haven’t.

You do realise what you get for “full self driving”? Presume you have researched how long tesla have been promising the other features for, and what the authorities have to do before you will even get them? The verynfirst model s in australia was supposedly equipped for FSD within a year. I think we are now up to the 4th version...but at least its still within a year.

You do realise what you get for “full self driving”? Presume you have researched how long tesla have been promising the other features for, and what the authorities have to do before you will even get them?

Yes. Been waiting for this car since the Elon blog of 2006 re the Master plan. I plan on keeping this car for a while. FSD has indeed been vapourware. Taking a risk, but no regrets with the decision. The Tesla neural net demo video convinced me on the progress being made. Decision Secured.

Has anyone looked into model 3 insurance yet. Might be a bit tricky at first with no cars on the road yet.
Rang Shannons today and received a quote for our M3P-, they had it on the system already so that was good. Around 1250 with 950 excess. I’m nearly 50, have a few cars with them and a clear history. Garaged and a reasonable risk location in rural Queensland (150km west of Brisbane).

Yes. Been waiting for this car since the Elon blog of 2006 re the Master plan. I plan on keeping this car for a while. FSD has indeed been vapourware. Taking a risk, but no regrets with the decision. The Tesla neural net demo video convinced me on the progress being made. Decision Secured.
Lot of money just to currently get parking assist that other manufacturers already do so well and we can't even get summons feature here yet so we're buying a very expensive dream. Dont get me wrong im fully behind the Elon FSD future but not getting anything much more than everyone else is doing

Reactions: jontyh