Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long time lurking here and learning
Been waiting since model 3 was announced
Visited NZ store to check out M3 a few weeks after it arrived in NZ
more waiting...
ordered p3- 31/5/19
Changed to p3+ 03/06/19
Getting used to waiting....
Visited the M3 in the store a few more times, felt a bit strange like some sort of imposter
after all this time and now actually being a finally a Tesla owner ....sort of, nearly, all most

11 July txt Thanks for placing your order, would you like finance with that model 3
2nd August txt your model 3 is nearly here...
Tesla app playing up yesterday got excited thought something was happening
back to normal today
6 August checked Tesla account yet again
yes! finally something changed time to enter delivery details
Completed all fields rego, payment etc. edit car gone
wooo!!
searched source code
no VIN for you!....noooo, more waiting

Dono what I'm going to do once the car is finally here and all the waiting / forum stalking / tracking following strange twitter posts about ships / tracking random ships across the globe/ obsessing over VIN numbers is finally over

Guess I'll have to order more stuff from Taptes to fill the void, and substitute with tracking the
Chinese post and constant refreshing google translate.

ha! I know the feeling. I dont know what ill do with myself once I get the car. All that spare time ill have from no longer checking twitter/forums/reddit.

Model 3 questions answered today:
- White Seats on Perf only (same as US)
Well that’s simply not true. Total BS, right up there with “there are only 2 reservers left who haven’t ordered yet”.

In the US and even the UK for that matter, white interior can be ordered on any Model 3 configuration. The above is only “true” for AU/NZ... for the time being, we hope.

Tldr; had a gander at white option without changing anything and was wondering if it may delay shipment.

When I heard of the white interior option of the performance model I had a gander on the 17th of July without changing any.
Being a day 1 purchaser I was surprised to see that I received an email saying I had "modified" my order and as a result the website shows it to be so.

I'm new here; apologise for naivety, just a bit excited.

Being a day 1 purchaser I was surprised to see that I received an email saying I had "modified" my order and as a result the website shows it to be so.
Don’t worry, lots of us got that email around 17/18 July saying the order had been modified. I believe it was for a couple of reasons. 1) Pearl White paint became a no cost option, so reduced the price if you ordered that one, and 2) In Victoria, the stamp duty reduced, so that altered the price too.

Don’t worry, if you didn’t change configuration, you won’t have lost your place in the queue.

In regards to VINs not being assigned to some of us NZ.
I just spoke with David at Tesla NZ (very helpful and friendly) and I had selected the wrong setting regarding payment. I had selected "Loan Submitted" which put a "flag" on my account. When in reality my loan was approved with UDC so the dude at Tesla tidied up my account and changed it to UDC finance. He explained that UDC and Tesla systems communicate with each other and my order should line up automatically with my pre approved loan with UDC (my guess is based on first and last name?). Still no VIN but I am guessing this is what stopped the VIN being assigned when I first completed the form. I also would assume that there a few "flags" that would stop the VIN assignment, Trade In certainly would be one, and Finance being the other. I will keep an eye on my account today and see if a VIN drops in now that I have no flags on my account.

I also asked him the golden question around timing and he said delivery should be going to customers before the end of August. He said that we should start hearing from them "in the very near future". I also asked what sort of timeframe we will have prior to delivery as I need to book flights to Auckland to collect the car. He said they are aiming for 1 week. My understanding is the 1 week time frame is in line with the rest of the world when it comes to Tesla delivery's so nothing out of the ordinary here!

Reactions: Vedaprime
I just spoke with David at Tesla NZ (very helpful and friendly) and I had selected the wrong setting regarding payment. I had selected "Loan Submitted" which put a "flag" on my account. When in reality my loan was approved with UDC so the dude at Tesla tidied up my account and changed it to UDC finance. He explained that UDC and Tesla systems communicate with each other and my order should line up automatically with my pre approved loan with UDC (my guess is based on first and last name?). Still no VIN but I am guessing this is what stopped the VIN being assigned when I first completed the form. I also would assume that there a few "flags" that would stop the VIN assignment, Trade In certainly would be one, and Finance being the other. I will keep an eye on my account today and see if a VIN drops in now that I have no flags on my account.

I also asked him the golden question around timing and he said delivery should be going to customers before the end of August. He said that we should start hearing from them "in the very near future". I also asked what sort of timeframe we will have prior to delivery as I need to book flights to Auckland to collect the car. He said they are aiming for 1 week. My understanding is the 1 week time frame is in line with the rest of the world when it comes to Tesla delivery's so nothing out of the ordinary here!
Could be. We have a vin, and no finance or trade-in.

• Informative
Reactions: freshmax

What were you meant to put then? I am also pre-approved by UDC and the only sensible answer was ‘Loan Submitted’.

What were you meant to put then? I am also pre-approved by UDC and the only sensible answer was ‘Loan Submitted’.
Agreed. The correct answer was to tick the UDC box, I remember hovering my mouse over both options and deciding on Loan Submitted, turns out it was the UDC option we needed to select. Give them a call and tidy it up, they are super helpful on the phone and I didnt need to wait to get through to someone.

It is a well known issue in climates where they put grit on the roads during winter. Grit is literally little bits of crushed rock and adds grip to the road surface when icey/snowy. The grit smashes into the paint and wears it away very quickly. They put grit on the roads in NZ in some parts but nowhere in Australia to my knowledge. It can be prevented by not being in such a country (us) or some people are choosing mudguards or ppf. I am considering mudguards. Early tests indicate they do not effect range at all - which makes sense considering they are, by definition, in the same windstream as the tyres themselves. There are some nice moulded mudguards available for quite cheap. I suspect, though, that for most people in Australia this will not be a noticeable issue as we do not grit our roads.

Might be an issue if you regularly drive on unsealed roads, I suppose?