Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The trouble with this is that I have received information from Tesla which says they WILL attach custom plates if we have them.

So like all things with this process, we’ll only find out the truth when the cars are ready for collection...

I hope you're right. I think initially they were going to do custom plates but now have backtracked due to how many cars they need to pump through their doors. I just hope they dont end up charging me the $110 for the plate fees because ill need that money to pay for putting my custom plates on. It wouldnt make sense for Tesla to put on random plates only have them swapped out with custom ones.

After waiting 3 years for surgery would you try and negotiate the operation schedule? Tesla staff have a lot of cars to deliver in a short time, best you give them the all the help possible. This is not some massive car corporation sucking every dollar out of you wallet, they're doing something that everyone said wasn't possible and no one else had the courage to attempt.

100% agreed. They havent even begun deliveries in AU yet and people are already complaining? Settle guys. We have waited this long. Just do your best to try to be there on delivery day or nominate someone if you cant. I travel a lot for work so there is a very good chance I wont be around for the delivery (which I am bummed about) but understand that they need to move the car if i cant make it within 7 days of the car being available.

It was only when I dropped a timecode on it in Premiere that I seen the time was just 3.15s less than the advertised 3.4s - https://techau.com.au/australian-tesla-model-3-performance-pulls-amazing-3-15s-0-100km-hr-time/
I am pretty sure that like about any other car the speedo in the Model 3 reads a few kmph high, i.e. you probably need to measure to about 103-105kmph not 100 on the screen, and that may be closer to 3.4 seconds. Some forums seem to have people asking why it doesn't calibrate given it does have GPS, but it doesn't seem to and goes by wheel speeds like other cars. But obviously also the 0-100 time will depend on the road, temperature, weight in the car, etc so maybe you had some fairly ideal conditions.

Does anyone know if i fly to Sydney to pick it up if tesla will give it to me earlier? Would their systems handle that?

I suppose I'd then have to figure out how well the SR+ would go across the nullabor...
Yes, that would be the most fun way to take delivery. Too easy up to Clare Valley Supercharger, but AC charging will be slow from there to Perth. Definitely need to borrow pigtails for 32amp 3phase and an EVSE capable of 11kW.
I have done Perth to Adelaide 3 times, first when organising the 3phase sockets for the Nullarbor Roadhouses taking 5 overnights, then finally the last trip taking 3 overnights. Daylight driving only.
But this last was with a 100kWh battery and 18kW charge rate, so M3 will be slower.
Remember it is quicker overall not to drive at 110kph, since AC cannot replace the excess electrons used at high speed fast enough. So the charging time increases more than the time saved by driving fast.

After waiting 3 years for surgery would you try and negotiate the operation schedule? Tesla staff have a lot of cars to deliver in a short time, best you give them the all the help possible. This is not some massive car corporation sucking every dollar out of you wallet, they're doing something that everyone said wasn't possible and no one else had the courage to attempt.

Funny you should use that analogy....because that’s exactly what I’ll be doing if it works out the way you state it should be done...except I’m not the patient. So I would potentially have to cancel at last minute notice the surgery of a dozen patients because Tesla will want us to come at a specific date and exact time that suits them...and from many previous forum posts and YouTube videos I’ve seen there is an extremely high chance that appointment will also be canceled by them multiple times at short notice.

Hey I’ve drank more cool aid than most but let’s be reasonable people. If they want to do this then they need to be more flexible themselves. Longer opening times would be a start.

I understand what you are trying to say, but I beg to differ.

The NBN, though of potential long-term benefit to the nation, required a massive up-front investment, while - at least according to the PWC bean counters, autonomous vehicle use will generate a $80billion benefit per annum to the nation.

I did hear some hysterical politician screams about the government defending the weekends of tradies, which left me scratching my head like everyone else... but I have not lost all my faith in our political system [yet].

I suspect that other nations who have started mandating the phasing out of ICE vehicles have read similar reports to that prepared by PWC. They probably also realised that autonomous cars have to be EV cars and - given the savings to the national economy - to ensure that this transition will happen sooner rather than later, they have chosen to mandate the transition out of ICE cars.

If nothing else works, it is my hope that once hard data from these nations becomes available about their national cost savings from autonomous vehicle use, it will be a lay down misere for the Australian government to follow suit.

I envy your enthusiasm and trust that our government will do what is best for the country in long term. I did read the report mostly while skimmed some sections there. They do not say that the benefit generated is $80 billion per annum, they say it could be up to $80 billion in 20 years if the uptake of the self driving vehicles is over 30% of vehicles. It also states that the uptake may be influenced by incentives and suggest government would need to set up a governing body to regulate this. It also mentions that a large part of the report is based on assumptions.

So looking at how our government has been faring so far, they do not appear to be thinking much past the next election and it will take them time to decide if they will be doing this on state level or commonwealth and once that has been decided, it will take time to actually develop any regulations and start enforcing them.

Because there is no centralized regulation for other aspects of the cars like having a web browser or use of mobile devices and each state has their own opinions, currently Tesla does not even allow us to have a web browser in Australia, so I really do not believe our government can bring this all together under one governing body and get all the regulations developed and enforced in the next 5 years. I hope they do, but I have major doubts.

I am pretty sure that like about any other car the speedo in the Model 3 reads a few kmph high, i.e. you probably need to measure to about 103-105kmph not 100 on the screen, and that may be closer to 3.4 seconds. Some forums seem to have people asking why it doesn't calibrate given it does have GPS, but it doesn't seem to and goes by wheel speeds like other cars. But obviously also the 0-100 time will depend on the road, temperature, weight in the car, etc so maybe you had some fairly ideal conditions.
My S reads 102 at 100 kph as checked with GPS.
Australian design rules specify that the indication must be at least 2 kph greater than the actual.

My S reads 102 at 100 kph as checked with GPS.
Australian design rules specify that the indication must be at least 2 kph greater than the actual.
I have not checked the design rules, but have noticed that, well that number can change a little depending on conditions, as I have noticed on my Merc. When I have just replaced tires with the tire pressure being perfect and warm tires it appears to be dead on 100 on GPS is 100 on car dashboard, after half a year with slightly lower tire pressure and some of the rubber worn, I tend to get about 102 on car showing 100 on GPS.

Mixed messages out of NZ

1. 1 report from someone living near Tesla Auckland, spotting White cars being transported to the store. Unknown model. If true, this would be from Seoul Express. For all we know it could be Model S, 3, X. Hard to know. Or could be the press cars.
2. Some people have had vins disappear. Not unexpected. UK had this a bit. Probably part of the reason they hide it.
3. 1 person had a vin registered from July 21 - This would mean Brotonne Bridge - July 26 arrival. I would def believe this. It had a long load time.
Yes, VIN has gone. As you say, can't really complain when it was hidden, but strange nonetheless.

Looking at the exchange rates, I read this:
https://electrek.co/2019/08/07/tesla-raise-prices-china-lower-yuan-model-3/
If that has any merit and they are actually looking at raising prices in China from September because of exchange rate movement, it would be only logical to assume that the same price change might come to Australia as our exchange rate has done similar dip.

• Informative
Reactions: tom_kauf
Sylvia Wilson spent $150 running her car on a three-month trip around Australia

Go Sylvia!

Long time lurker and Tesla enthusiast. 2016-04-02 reservation and finally ordered a Black SR+ (sans FSD) on 2019-06-01 :). Have received the same communiqué from Tesla the latest being the "Your Model 3 is almost here ..." SMS on Fri 2 Aug. Tesla account page still in "Prepare for delivery" mode. Also need to sell a VW Golf ICE :(.

Seoul Express scheduled to dock at Melbourne Swanson West 2 terminal on 4:30pm Mon 12 Aug from Sydney.

upload_2019-8-9_10-17-35.png

• Informative
Reactions: jaykaye
Wooo! Email from Tesla. Heart dropped.

Jokes, old news:

We’re proud to announce that Model 3 now has an ANCAP 5-star safety rating overall.
This was made possible by Model 3's all-electric architecture and powertrain design, as well as its advanced passive and active safety features including Seatbelt Reminder, Lane Assist, Speed Assist and Automatic Emergency Braking.
We believe that safety is the most important part of all Tesla cars, and will continue to make this our top priority for all owners.