Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMHO I think reservations don't mean nearly as much as people think they do. Tesla wants money and they want it as quickly as possible. Even in their FAQ the answer to priority is very wishy-washy.

Hence why those in NZ who chose cash vs. finance were quickly assigned a VIN. I remember someone saying they had to call and let tesla know their finance was approved because they didn't get an invoice.
Tesla historically wont release cars in australia until the cash is recieved, whether that be from the buyer or financier, including tesla’s preferred financier macquarie

Well, things are moving, I just got a call from Tesla rep asking if I would like a test drive on Model 3 in Brisbane, seeing as I have reservation but have not converted to order yet. So I told him that I will definitely take the test drive and I got scheduled in for next week Saturday. I also told him that I want the LR RWD model and he said they have no information about that coming here and asked why I would not go AWD, I explained that over 90k is way out of my capabilities and he understood, He did express hope that I might still put the order in for SR+ as apparently I would get priority queue as I have reservation and that might mean I might get the car very quickly. He did not elaborate how quickly that might be.

Well, things are moving, I just got a call from Tesla rep asking if I would like a test drive on Model 3 in Brisbane, seeing as I have reservation but have not converted to order yet. So I told him that I will definitely take the test drive and I got scheduled in for next week Saturday. I also told him that I want the LR RWD model and he said they have no information about that coming here and asked why I would not go AWD, I explained that over 90k is way out of my capabilities and he understood, He did express hope that I might still put the order in for SR+ as apparently I would get priority queue as I have reservation and that might mean I might get the car very quickly. He did not elaborate how quickly that might be.
Well that's fire trucking exciting!

Well, things are moving, I just got a call from Tesla rep asking if I would like a test drive on Model 3 in Brisbane, seeing as I have reservation but have not converted to order yet. So I told him that I will definitely take the test drive and I got scheduled in for next week Saturday. I also told him that I want the LR RWD model and he said they have no information about that coming here and asked why I would not go AWD, I explained that over 90k is way out of my capabilities and he understood, He did express hope that I might still put the order in for SR+ as apparently I would get priority queue as I have reservation
Hi Priit ,

We are in the same boat except.. no call for a test drive here in Sydney. I wont be surprised though if I get one in the next week / 10 days.
I thought about the Model 3 + , but when I checked the A Better Routeplanner (Like using that) I looked at a lot of my trips and still left me hoping for a LR battery.

Will you suck it up and go for the cheaper SR+ , and cop it sweet for longer trips , as in , more supercharger time required on longer trips?

Also , can you schedule only one type of model for a test drive?

Reactions: baillies
Hi Priit ,

We are in the same boat except.. no call for a test drive here in Sydney. I wont be surprised though if I get one in the next week / 10 days.
I thought about the Model 3 + , but when I checked the A Better Routeplanner (Like using that) I looked at a lot of my trips and still left me hoping for a LR battery.

Will you suck it up and go for the cheaper SR+ , and cop it sweet for longer trips , as in , more supercharger time required on longer trips?

Also , can you schedule only one type of model for a test drive?
Well my main issue is that some of my regular trips with LR RWD would not need any charging on the way, but with SR+ I would have to change the route a bit and would need to charge as it wont make it without a charge on route directly. I have not really decided if I will give in and order SR+ or if I can still hold on for a little longer. I suspect that after driving it, it might be even more difficult to wait and that might be the reason they are offering test drives, to push people that are on the edge...
Will have to see how we go.

Reactions: raynewman
Life if full of compromises. This is just another one. I would love a M3 Performance but compromised on a SR+

Was thinking it might be this weekend we would take delivery in NZ.
The latest boat came in from California on 5th August - ite been 4 days surely that is enough time to get things organised.
Next boat comes in on 12th August...
In the meantime I have filled in the details on my Tesla account. I did it before I got the text message informing me!