Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was thinking it might be this weekend we would take delivery in NZ.
The latest boat came in from California on 5th August - ite been 4 days surely that is enough time to get things organised.
Next boat comes in on 12th August...
In the meantime I have filled in the details on my Tesla account. I did it before I got the text message informing me!

Sounds like your life has gone to ship like the rest of us. Latest tracker spreadsheet Public - Google Drive

Have any NZ'ers tried calling the 0800 004 029 number

I tried this morning
press 1 for sales - sorry you've called outside business hours
please call back between 9am and 5:30pm (this was 9:30 am NZ time)
press 4 for account/technical/something else I can't remember, assistance
pressed 4
press 2 to speak to local support
Given a choice of Au locations, nothing for NZ.

Hello there is a store in NZ I've been there

Tried 0800 005 431 similar result

Whats up with that Tesla....
if systems persist, hold down the scroll wheels for 10 seconds with foot on the brake....

Reactions: BarnabySydney
Just a update on my experience with the the New Zealand 'Delivery Form':

On Wednesday evening I completed the delivery form and submitted it.
  • I entered my home address (Christchurch) and submitted that item. Then I couldn't view or change it. Bugger :(
    I was expecting an option to 'pickup from the Auckland Sales Center'.
  • It gave an option for 'Standard Plates' or 'Custom Plates'.
    I selected 'Custom Plates' / 'T3SLA3'.
After form submission I clicked 'Change Delivery Details' and left a note I would pickup from Auckland Sales Center.

Today I got an email from my 'Delivery Advisor' David Robertson that my delivery location had been changed to Auckland.
I discussed with him the custom plates and ended up changing back to 'Standard Plates'
(VIN needed to manufacture custom plates in Australia -> Christchurch -> Auckland, 2 weeks before delivery = too risky).
Once I get the car back to Christchurch I can order the correct size custom plates, fit them myself, and do the paperwork.

Looking at my Account [Manage] web page source:
  • I have a VIN=5YJ3F7EB3KF489058. I expect it will disappear soon.
  • Configuration: Model 3 Long Range All-Wheel Drive Performance, Red Multi-Coat Paint, 2019, 2019 Aero Wheels, All Black Premium Interior, Autopilot, Full Self-Driving Capability

Last edited:
Reactions: CAM3RON
Have any NZ'ers tried calling the 0800 004 029 number

I tried this morning
press 1 for sales - sorry you've called outside business hours
please call back between 9am and 5:30pm (this was 9:30 am NZ time)
press 4 for account/technical/something else I can't remember, assistance
pressed 4
press 2 to speak to local support
Given a choice of Au locations, nothing for NZ.

Hello there is a store in NZ I've been there

Tried 0800 005 431 similar result

Whats up with that Tesla....
if systems persist, hold down the scroll wheels for 10 seconds with foot on the brake....
I tried 0800 005 431 press 3 and waited for 10 minutes (during work time :( ).
Eventually I talked to an obviously American lady, who was very nice, but was no help what so ever. She said my 'Deliver Advisor' was David Robertson so I sent him my queries.
David has been helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whoa. That vin better disappear. It is from August 1 vin batch of 3950 - The latest batch. If would barely be on a ship. August 7 was the latest pickup, due Sept 2 in Auckland. The vin isn’t on carjam either. Has to be a temporary vin.

• Informative
Reactions: T3SLA3
Whoa. That vin better disappear. It is from August 1 vin batch of 3950 - The latest batch. If would barely be on a ship. August 7 was the latest pickup, due Sept 2 in Auckland. The vin isn’t on carjam either. Has to be a temporary vin.
It's ok, thery're now delivering all earlier VIN cars to Australia and bypassing NZ until later shipments.

I discussed with him the custom plates and ended up changing back to 'Standard Plates'
(VIN needed to manufacture custom plates in Australia -> Christchurch -> Auckland, 2 weeks before delivery = too risky).
Once I get the car back to Christchurch I can order the correct size custom plates, fit them myself, and do the paperwork.

Can you help me out here, I don't really understand. when you said manufacture custom plates in Australia, are you suggesting for Australians by Tesla, or that NZ custom plates are manufactured in Australia? I'm a little confused.

Can you help me out here, I don't really understand. when you said manufacture custom plates in Australia, are you suggesting for Australians by Tesla, or that NZ custom plates are manufactured in Australia? I'm a little confused.
As far as I know the New Zealand government has given the contract to manufacture custom plates to an Australian company.
Make sense as the volume of custom plates for New Zealand is probably quite low.
I don't know where the standard New Zealand plates are made.

On Wednesday evening I completed the delivery form and submitted it.
  • I entered my home address (Christchurch) and submitted that item. Then I couldn't view or change it. Bugger :(
    I was expecting an option to 'pickup from the Auckland Sales Center'.
  • It gave an option for 'Standard Plates' or 'Custom Plates'.
    I selected 'Custom Plates' / 'T3SLA3'.
After form submission I clicked 'Change Delivery Details' and left a note I would pickup from Auckland Sales Center.

Today I got an email from my 'Delivery Advisor' David Robertson that my delivery location had been changed to Auckland.

Looking at my Account [Manage] web page source:
  • Configuration: Model 3 Long Range All-Wheel Drive Performance, Red Multi-Coat Paint, 2019, 2019 Aero Wheels, All Black Premium Interior, Autopilot, Full Self-Driving Capability

Interesting
I to have completed NZ delivery form
No reservation
No finance
No VIN as far as I can see
No contact from Delivery advisor
ordered 3/06/19
P3+ with FSD

I just got a call from Tesla rep asking if I would like a test drive on Model 3 in Brisbane, seeing as I have reservation but have not converted to order yet.
Oh man! I’ve been hanging out for a test drive before ordering, caved in yesterday. Have registered for test. Presume I can delay actual purchase until test drive is available even when the 3k order payment has been made...

I tried 0800 005 431 press 3 and waited for 10 minutes (during work time :( ).
Eventually I talked to an obviously American lady, who was very nice, but was no help what so ever. She said my 'Deliver Advisor' was David Robertson so I sent him my queries.
David has been helpful.

No Soup for me.......or DA info
I did end up talking to a nice lady in the USA
Who couldn't really help

Au seemed well catered for if you dive deeper in the IVR
no Bueno for NZ. I hope we are not relegated to having to call during
Au hours to actually talk to someone who can help with NZ issues :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man! I’ve been hanging out for a test drive before ordering, caved in yesterday. Have registered for test. Presume I can delay actual purchase until test drive is available even when the 3k order payment has been made...

I think if you've ordered and you delay, your car will be reassigned by Tesla if they have someone else who has ordered the same spec.

Then you'll be subject to the torturous wait and relegated who knows when the next Tesla magical mystical slow boat from San Fran sets sail at the whim of the delivery gods