Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Source is extremely, extremely, extremely (Don't make me say it again) close to the delivery process.

Total orders in Aus (reservations placed initial $1,500): ~7,000
Total who have placed configurations (paid $3,000): ~2,500
Total QLD orders: ~750

I'm sure you're understanding I can't provide more info on the source due to their proximity I'm sorry.
I have heard something similar.

Deliveries starting before the end of this month with around 2000 cars to customers by the end of September

Reactions: Random206
And how many of those VIN-s we know are actually been made officially visible to customers? How many can Tesla still change before they make them final? [conspiracy is hard to kill]o_O
Here, have a tin foil hate and go sit over there... we'll call you when your number is ready.

Just kidding, the ranges that they are all showing in are either not shipped yet, or have been after a particular date (can't remember which date from the top of my head) but if they don't drastically change, it's not possible sorry mate.

Tbh. Just want to call a spade for what it is.

Tesla could easily have clarified their intentions about who when and where. They have known exactly what they were doing for weeks. This is not the local staff. But it is 3.5 years for many. They have provided appalling communications for ppl who have put up cash on faith and still don't know whether to go to bali. Seriously.
Tesla do cars, not communications. Best get used to it. They must have the worlds worst communications department located right here in australia selling the worlds best cars

Insurance update for fellow Kiwis:

AA seem to be the only insurer with Model 3 models listed on their online quoting system. All other insurers as soon as you list a Tesla freak out and say to call them for a quote. AA quote is more expensive than State Insurance and Vero though - almost double.

Regarding delivery comms and the uncertainty, to me it seems entirely expected given the chaotic nature of the system. There are too many uncontrolled variables, it is not a build-to-order pipeline.

I think Tesla has been pretty clear that this is not a build to order pipeline and that cars are allocated based on reservation and configuration dates and ultimately finance. No one has told me that owners are allocated to cars before shipping and the fact that I can change configuration while cars are in transit is a pretty sure sign that no allocation has been made.

My only misgivings are that salespeople has been telling nearly every reservation holder that their car will be on the first shipment. This is clearly not the case as there are likely 2500 configurations currently paid for and only a limited number of cars arriving per shipment (unless a RoRo shipment occurs).

Although I do like the idea that Tesla is that organised that they are already here. It's a nice idea to think about.[/QUOTE]
Watching the boats and containers may alleviate the anxiety but that does not change the fact that you will not know if the cars are/were on the that boat or previous boats. For all we know they may already have a warehouse full of those containers with the cars offloaded from previous boats somewhere in customs being fumigated or waiting for customs clearance. Though it does make the time go faster reading about people doing boat spotting...
Every company wants their cash asap. Cashflow is king and especially for tesla. Warehousing a stack of cars makes zero business sense.

Anyone else just get an email from MAcquarie saying 'congraultations you're approved' but there's a bunch of stuff they still need to do?

I got this email as well but it is generic.

Just for some background My Tesla account is now the same as the Cash folks and just awaiting a tax invoice. It all boils down to how quickly they go into Tesla's system and create what Tesla calls a "solution" for you which is essentially the terms of your finance etc. Once this is done your screen goes from the checkboxes (awaiting finance) to the we will send you a tax invoice shortly.

AA seem to be the only insurer with Model 3 models listed on their online quoting system. All other insurers as soon as you list a Tesla freak out and say to call them for a quote. AA quote is more expensive than State Insurance and Vero though - almost double.

Once Tesla becomes more popular and the risk pool increases think we will see significant drops in insurance figures.

I got this email as well but it is generic.

Just for some background My Tesla account is now the same as the Cash folks and just awaiting a tax invoice. It all boils down to how quickly they go into Tesla's system and create what Tesla calls a "solution" for you which is essentially the terms of your finance etc. Once this is done your screen goes from the checkboxes (awaiting finance) to the we will send you a tax invoice shortly.
Well everyone (Macquarie and Tesla) tell me they have done all they can at their end. And I am still at the 'We will tell you when finance is approved' part with no invoice. :(

While I am as excited as anyone to get my car, if Tesla really wants to survive and not just become an afterthought they really need to master this part of the business as well.
I think Tesla will survive just fine.

Orders are still outstripping the ability to deliver cars worldwide and this will just widen with more and more Model 3's delivered

New models in R&D

Word of mouth is such a powerful tool.

With our own local market with more Tesla's being delivered in the next couple of months than they have delivered here in the last 2-3 years, the word of mouth concept will just keep getting stronger and more cars being ordered