Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well that's *sugar*! Anyone a consumer law expert on false advertising? Lol

I’ll start by saying I am not an expert in AU consumer law. Clearly there is a potential customer service / reputation issue, but a legal breach seems like a stretch. At the end of the day, our reservation and “order” money is fully refundable. I think it is semantics to even say the 3k “order” is anything more than a reservation. In fact that’s precisely what our order agreements say...
“The Total Price indicated on the Vehicle Configuration is our estimate of the drive away price of your vehicle. Because your delivery date is in the future and individual circumstances may vary, we are not able to determine the actual amount of these charges until closer to the time of delivery and after we have confirmed delivery information with you. The final Total Price will be presented to you on your Final Price Sheet as your delivery date nears“

Once a VIN is assigned and you are invoiced with the “final price sheet”, now clearly there is a specific and enforceable agreement that is accepted once paid. Post this point any changes would be a breach. Short of that, I think the order is nothing more than a fully refundable intent to purchase which Tesla clearly indicates.

So my main point is there are two arguments. Go in guns blazing showing old order pages and talking about consumer law and they will probably just whip the above quote form the order agreement out and say there was never an agreed price and configuration at time of reservation or order. The better approach is to accept legally we have no grounds and go the customer service / reputation route (i.e. be friendly as all get out and try to see if they have any latitude to make you happy on your big purchase). I think many of us may get a lot farther, and if we don’t, enjoy the best car in the world and pay a tad more. I am certainly not going to hand the car back because it is $300 more expensive (but it is an option).

Unless it's a mistake. Advertising is not a contract.
Actually it is a contract when they accept your money. Which they have done, and then remain silent and don't notify you that there has been a change to what you have ordered. So yes, they have engaged in false advertising.

Avoid being mislead about price, quality and value | Your rights, crime and the law | Queensland Government

If they say you can accept it as is or cancel your order, that's not good enough. They have still engaged in false advertising, because they can't advertise something they knowingly can't offer, even if unintentionally misleading the customer.

Offering to cancel the order, doesn't make things good again. That's like the equivalent of braking the law and then saying, oh let's rewind and pretend it never happened.

No, you advertised, accepted my money whether electronic or not, and now I expect my order as it was advertised.

If it doesn't come as advertised, they'll be hearing from me and if they don't provide as advertised, they'll be hearing from QCAT too.

So open a citi account, deposit the bank cheque with a clerance request ($10 and transfer the cleared funds from your citi account to theirs.
If you are going to the bank to get a bank cheque, just ask the bank to do a transfer instead and save the extra walk....or even better do it yourself online with a temporary limit increase. Speaking from experience, your bank may stop the transaction to tesla until you confirm over the phone that a tesla employee has confirmed the account number to you by voice. This is due to account numbers being hacked by rogue’s over email.
So the point is, dont leave it to the last moment or your car may not be delivered as planned.