Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still no VIN for me yet, although the letter combination "vin" now appears 7 more times on my source page than it did yesterday, so I guess that's some kind of progress...!

I think most of the extra references to VIN appear to be related to backend changes to enable the just launched Tesla Insurance in California. Probably means nothing in relation to our orders down under.

Reactions: Dave3333
How long before we reckon that the first Model 3s start showing up on Carsales for profit?

Depends I guess on how long the initial cars take to get here/delivered and how long the wait will be once all the reservations turned orders go through. Remember that if the numbers we hear are correct (2500 orders from 6000 reservations) about half the people who put 1500 down have not ordered yet. Also remember that while, within our community this car is very desirable, for the general Aussie population, this is most likely a scary and very niche, very different product which they refuse to even go near.

Since I've put my order in I have found discussions with friends/colleagues quite interesting. Most people I speak to, who are in the market for a new car in that price range, have had fleeting thoughts of Teslas but really quickly discount the brand and move on without actually a) knowing much about it, b) knowing anything more about electric cars other than FUD and c) having ever driven an electric car or a Tesla specifically. And this is a group of people that are educated/intelligent professionals and actually have the resources to educate themselves quite easily.
The most interesting bit is that when I challenge people to go have a test drive, they just refuse to do so - not sure why that it.

Based on that (albeit small sample) I don't think we'll see much on carsales tbh - will be interesting to watch.

Reactions: maveric74
Did you try searching 5Y? Mine went from 55 “vin” to 62 too. The actual vin is in the body of the text (not where I thought it would show up)
Yeah, I also search for '5y" every time too. I got very excited when I got a hit yesterday, but it was just a randomly generated form build ID that happened to include 5y...

C'mon Tesla - give me some love...

You can use the vin in certain juristictions rtio lookup more info about each person. Potentially leading to building a profile on someone.. one many use of this might be identity theft.

Remember this forum is not private. Anyone with the appropriate Google search could end up here.

Unlikely, probably but i don't want to make it any easier for them than i have to!

In Victoria at least you can look up the VIN on the VicRoads website based on the registration number, which is prominently displayed on your vehicle. I suspect that nefarious uses of the VIN are nothing but paranoia, at least in Australia.

Reactions: one4spl
The most interesting bit is that when I challenge people to go have a test drive, they just refuse to do so - not sure why that it.
I can tell you exactly why!

Because crappy car sales people, stalk the buyers and basically harass them until they put down a deposit, and even then continue to harass them until they have their cars off the dealers car lot.

It's totally wrong that debt collectors have rules against how many times they can contact someone within a certain time frame, yet a car dealer does not.

Any normal person without our knowledge of Tesla would think that Tesla is just another car dealer who abide by the same philosophy of 'pi**ing off the customer until they cripple and hand over the money'. Not just that but 'these Teslas are insanely expensive and I can't afford to repair it if I crash it on the test drive' springs to mind.

Reactions: stedes
Depends I guess on how long the initial cars take to get here/delivered and how long the wait will be once all the reservations turned orders go through. Remember that if the numbers we hear are correct (2500 orders from 6000 reservations) about half the people who put 1500 down have not ordered yet. Also remember that while, within our community this car is very desirable, for the general Aussie population, this is most likely a scary and very niche, very different product which they refuse to even go near.

Since I've put my order in I have found discussions with friends/colleagues quite interesting. Most people I speak to, who are in the market for a new car in that price range, have had fleeting thoughts of Teslas but really quickly discount the brand and move on without actually a) knowing much about it, b) knowing anything more about electric cars other than FUD and c) having ever driven an electric car or a Tesla specifically. And this is a group of people that are educated/intelligent professionals and actually have the resources to educate themselves quite easily.

Based on that (albeit small sample) I don't think we'll see much on carsales tbh - will be interesting to watch.

If someone challenged me to drive the new Kona or any other random car that I had zero interest in I'd refuse that just as quickly as your workmates dismissed test driving a Tesla, Teslas are great and some of your mates are missing out but they're far from a one size fits all car.

Reactions: stedes
In Victoria at least you can look up the VIN on the VicRoads website based on the registration number, which is prominently displayed on your vehicle. I suspect that nefarious uses of the VIN are nothing but paranoia, at least in Australia.
Yep, same here in QLD, there is also an app on both iOS AppStore and Google Play Store for this too.

Point your phone camera at this and it'll take you to the download screen for your device OS App Store.

2kvtnf.png