Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just like Vedaprime and many others I was one of the lucky ones to pick up my car yesterday. As Vedaprime was the first of the day there, I was one of the last ones. My delivery time was set for 6PM. I had to leave home at 3:40PM with public transport to make it in time. Little over 2 hours later, I arrived 10 minutes before 6 with my son. As soon as we arrived, we noticed 4 MSM Models 3-s lined up at the delivery area. I knew that one of the 4 was going to be mine, so I opened up the Tesla app, and to my wonder, my car showed up there with 86% charge. My lootbox showed 1500km free charge remaining. I did not interact with any rookies or temporary delivery assistants, Morris saw me when I arrived and came and said hi and said since I have been there a few times he will get one of the guys who I have been dealing with previously to do the handover. So I asked the usual questions on when I can get the tow bar and floor mats and sun shades for the ceiling. They said they are expecting some stock for some of those to arrive next month but cannot confirm what will arrive or when exactly. They did promise to let me know when they get stock.
First of the 4 cars drove away very shortly, then they moved the remaining 3 on and mine was in the middle. Now about the car. First we paired my phone to act as key, then Bluetooth, then I plugged in the USB I brought for dashcam footage and to the delivery guys surprise it was recognized instantly and working. He said he was going to offer to format and set it up for me but I obviously know what I am doing. I mentioned that I may have watched a few youtube videos and read some forum posts.
The car had about 15km on the clock and came with software 9.15 that appeared to be slightly behind, however the phone app said the car had detected an update 9.32 that had been scheduled for download on Saturday at 12AM.
We tried to find the buggy racing game but that was not in 9.15 firmware so I promised my son that he could have a go at it after we get home and update the car. Had a walk around the car and looked in the boot and frunk. The chargers were in the boot. The mobile one has 3 tails. 10A, 15A and some round one I don't know. The panel gaps looked even, so happy with that. the paint looks beautiful. There was some assisting person with microfiber cloth still polishing the paint while we were looking over the car. I had to sign the Ipad for the delivery and was ready to go. We had to wait for the car that was in front of mine to finish their check and leave, so chatted with the delivery boys a bit more. Was out of there by 6:15PM. The car said it was calibrating. My son was amazed by how quiet the car is and how fast it accelerated with no sound. We played with the sound and emissions testing and voice commands a bit. Then it started to rain a little and took me a while to get the wipers set to auto. After about 6-7km the car was calibrated and I set the cruise on, but autosteer was not enabled and it said the car needs to be in park to turn on autosteer. So I pulled over and turned that on. Then the drive got even more fun. On M1 we caught up with another family that picked up the MSM P- just before my car, they had the whole family with kids at the pickup and in the car. My son wanted to get their attention so we got both MSM M3-s side by side, and my son opened the window and kept waiving at them until they responded. They appeared to be concentrating on learning the car more than looking at the car next to them :)
It was just over 70km drive home and I got home with 63% charge remaining. Since mine is SR+ I think that was just perfect. I had moved the old Merc our of the garage to the street and tried backing the Model 3 into the garage. My son went out to spot me. He said it is so quiet that you think the car is not running and then it moves, so strange. Well getting this thing in my garage was a 15 minute job as I need to fit the car next to the motorcycle. the motorcycle was touching the wall on one side and when getting Tesla in there I had to fold mirrors and ended up with 2cm gap between the other side wall. Once in the garage, connecting to wi-fi took 10 sec and I figured I would do the firmware update first. So kicked that off from the phone app and it started a 2 minute time on screen for update to start. 15 minutes later the phone alerted that update had finished. I went to the garage and checked the new games on the car and version was 9.32.2.2 so up to date for AUS.
Since the electrician is scheduled to come in 2 weeks to hook up the HPWC, I plugged mobile charger into a standard 10A socket in the garage and set the charge limit to 90% (we plan to do some mountain drives over the weekend).
This morning the car was charged and ready to go. IMG_20190927_181428.jpg IMG_20190927_181433.jpg IMG_20190927_181449.jpg IMG_20190927_181424.jpg MVIMG_20190927_181614.jpg

Last edited:
Mine was delivered last Friday. Oh what Joy even if it was a few days later than originally advised. I have had my white P3D for a week now. Enjoying it very much especially the acceleration (care this weekend though as its double demerits)! All pretty good at delivery except for minor panel fit issue RH corner bumper and some scratches on console (and a few other very minor items). Had its tint done today and its booked in to attend to my delivery gripes on October 8. I originally reserved in May 2016 and ordered in early July 2019. I am heading to Albany as a test soon. Everyone who has ridden in it or driven it is blown away.

Any suggestions on reasonably priced electricians to install the TESLA wall charger appreciated.
Would be really interested in feedback on your Albany trip goes as considering doing same. I know there's the fast charger at Arthur river but was hoping to be able to do the trip on one charge. Based on experience so far, car appears to be capable of it. Would be great if could do it sitting on the speed limit and not have to draft a grey nomad to do it. PM'd you re electricians as posted this info earlier.

This may be a time consuming request so much thanks in advance.

For the poor SR+ owners who are stuck without any mats, could someone with full premium factory mats please provide some photos with basic measurements?

I’d like to get a few meters of automotive carpet from Bunnings and trim to fit, just to get me by while Tesla manages to get some more stock in a couple months time.

Hopefully this covers it off, the backing is velcro like, but not full on velcro, be careful putting mats under the accelerator and brake as the factory mats stay in position an need a little effort to move/be removed.

Attachments

• IMG_8151.JPG
    IMG_8151.JPG
    781.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2542.JPG
    IMG_2542.JPG
    764.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2843.JPG
    IMG_2843.JPG
    726.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7017.JPG
    IMG_7017.JPG
    753.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0240.JPG
    IMG_0240.JPG
    633.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0727.JPG
    IMG_0727.JPG
    841.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2988.JPG
    IMG_2988.JPG
    740.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4056.JPG
    IMG_4056.JPG
    766.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0175.JPG
    IMG_0175.JPG
    340.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6197.JPG
    IMG_6197.JPG
    389.8 KB · Views: 51
Congrattulations! Nice write up on the experience. Could you take a photo of the round charging attachment you mention? I am sure somewhere here can quickly identify it and am curious myself and I thought it only came with 10 amp and 15 amp but more connectors is always good news.

If it looks like the one in my post, then it is a 16A caravan/commando plug adaptor. The Euro and NZ cars come with them. It did not come with my UMC. I got one because I already had the right outlet after having had an Audi A3 etron charger.
Model 3 Charging in Australia

Like others have said on here I certainly won't leave out this part when someone asks about the process of buying a Tesla.
A work colleague was really upset when I told her that I wouldn't hear anything until October. She said after the Model Y launch that she would buy one. I told her buy it anyway cause it will be a bloody good car. Just don't put in the reservation. I might add later that unless she wanted to show the support. But she has to understand reservation may mean nothing. And communication may be next to nothing. So pretty much order and chill.

Last edited:
P- has better acceleration and higher max speed. However, the LR AWD has an extra 60km in the advertised range (620 vs 560). Lots of people are claiming the cars have the same hardware, so the actual range would be the same, but I haven't seen anything to verify this (I'm just hoping it's true).

the difference in range was only the cycle which was used. Initially Australia used WLTP or so I think.

Is the RHD dead pedal different to LHD? In pictures I've seen from Model 3 in the US it has a plastic cover:
View attachment 459881

But in my car it is carpeted:
View attachment 459887
Mine has the carpet there also. I think carpet looks nice.
I finally finished going through the settings on the car display and I suspect mine does not have the fog lights option as some appear to. It does list rear fog lights button but there is no front fog lights button anywhere.