Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Woo hoo! You should contact Electrek or reneweconomy.com.au and let them know, I’m sure they’d like to do a story on the first person to line up in the world finally taking delivery of their Model 3.

Sorry, I never had any contact from them, but Trevor Long from EFTM did a brief write up here. He was the first one to spot me outside the St Leonards showroom back in 2016.

Yeah, that would be me :D but no order yet, yet alone a delivery date ;)

Hail "Vostok Record Breaker"!

Reactions: Vostok
The nice thing (and I'm not even an environmental person) is that the Barnawatha ones are powered by a huge bank of solar panels. (I'm sure they have an electric backup too)

ByHzoGy.jpg
All power for the ChargeFox network is 100% renewable, although they will all be grid connected since their power needs are far more than they could ever supply with a little bank of solar panels, although the site may currently be a net energy producer.

• Love
Reactions: TaylorP
Semantics, you get my point. The irony that Australian companies are producing kit that is top of the league globally, while our ridiculous government says you’ll lose your weekends, or it’ll be faster to walk to Wagga, I mean the fact that aussies can do that against the torent of negativity from our federal government makes them hero’s in my eyes...

I must add that my M3 SR+ has max dc charge of 100kw. That was so fast at Barnawatha I barely had time to pee and buy a chicken salad sandwich and get back to the car. At some point ultra rapid stupid fast charging goes beyond the point of utility.
Oh, no question, I just wanted to clarify the charge rate thing. Tritium have been doing amazing work since back when they were making drive inverters for solar race cars. Furthermore, despite the current anti-science government, Australia is installing renewables at an enormous rate and the power sector might even hit the numbers we need for the Paris agreement. So sad that the coal-loving lickspittles in power are doing everything that they can to stop this, with the support of a media that is not far from pure evil.

Getting away from politics and back on topic, we need more than just fast charging networks, we also need more motels and hotels to have destination chargers (or equivalent). While it is nice to be able to charge on the road, nothing beats going to sleep and waking up with a full car.

Delivery number estimates. I am in the process of working out delivery number estimates for the quarter based on what I have.

For WA, SA, Tas, Act, NT, happy for people to speculate below in the comments, as I have no specific data I have been tracking.

I believe Tas (due to not being able to be find a free ship to transport across the Strait) and NT are zero.

I think I saw about 37 in first WA delivery batch. Any local comments appreciated.

Delivery number estimates. I am in the process of working out delivery number estimates for the quarter based on what I have.

For WA, SA, Tas, Act, NT, happy for people to speculate below in the comments, as I have no specific data I have been tracking.

I believe Tas (due to not being able to be find a free ship to transport across the Strait) and NT are zero.

I think I saw about 37 in first WA delivery batch. Any local comments appreciated.

I'm tracking a little over 400 slimline plates issued to Model 3s in NSW, but that's only in the EDH and EEA blocks...

Attachments

• cars_2019-09-29T0944.png
    cars_2019-09-29T0944.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 74
Well, three and a half years after placing my deposit, I am now the proud owner of a Deep Blue Tesla Model 3 AWD Performance.

After a few days driving around, I can conclusively say that this is the best car I have ever driven. I love this car more than I could have possibly imagined.

It is easily the smoothest and quietest car I have ever driven, it is also the fastest and most fun to drive. Every single passenger that has been in it so far has been stunned by how great a car it is. Every time I punch the accelerator I can expect profanity, followed by uncontrollable giggling from passengers, so far, EVERY SINGLE PASSENGER, EVERY SINGLE TIME.

It has a +500km range and can be charged for free from the solar panels at work or at home. If I am out and about there seems to be free charging stations popping up everywhere.

The technology it comes with is staggering (no exaggeration, everyone who takes a ride is amazed by the tech), I don't have a key, I don't unlock or lock it, I don't start or stop it, I just walk up, get in and drive silently away. It can already drive itself on most roads and with the next few updates will be able to do much more (eg navigate all by itself from where you parked it to come and pick you up from where you are waiting for it).

All that aside, it is amazing that this thing can literally run on starlight rather than burning fossil fuels.

I love this car. Without a doubt THIS IS THE FUTURE.
View media item 120400View media item 120401View media item 120398View media item 120396View media item 120397

I recently had the opportunity to A/B my TM3P with my mums new Mercedes C300 4 door. I thought this will be interesting, because they are close to the same dollars and both pretty expensive 4 door sedans. I hadn't driven her car since she bought it earlier in the year, I took it out for a drive few days ago.

Its difficult to say this without upsetting people and I sound WAY too fanboy-ish, but the Merc felt like a bloody tractor. Slow, loud, jerky, rough. I know its a diesel, but having just stepped out of the Tesla, the Merc just felt aweful.

The gearbox felt slow and dumb, often not picking the gear I wanted, then down changing and roaring like a bull.

The suspension in the Merc is definitely not as plush as the Model 3 (Merc on 19s, Tesla on 20s) and I both felt AND heard the bumps far more.

Initially the Tesla's interior looked too sparse and minimalist to me, but after a few days in it, the Mercedes dash seems like a giant mess of buttons and switches. I do think on a whole though, the interior of the Merc is more expensive looking, I will give it that.

The Merc is one of the quicker diesels with 180kW but straight after the M3P it felt SLOOOOOOOOOOW. Slow in gear but REALLY slow off the line. The Tesla feels like flying in a spaceship with some kind of silent warp drive in comparison. Anybody genuinely driving both of these back to back will pick the Tesla as a nicer car to drive, its not even close.

Sorry mum!

Sorry, I never had any contact from them, but Trevor Long from EFTM did a brief write up here. He was the first one to spot me outside the St Leonards showroom back in 2016.

Hail "Vostok Record Breaker"!
Well, three and a half years after placing my deposit, I am now the proud owner of a Deep Blue Tesla Model 3 AWD Performance.

After a few days driving around, I can conclusively say that this is the best car I have ever driven. I love this car more than I could have possibly imagined.

It is easily the smoothest and quietest car I have ever driven, it is also the fastest and most fun to drive. Every single passenger that has been in it so far has been stunned by how great a car it is. Every time I punch the accelerator I can expect profanity, followed by uncontrollable giggling from passengers, so far, EVERY SINGLE PASSENGER, EVERY SINGLE TIME.

It has a +500km range and can be charged for free from the solar panels at work or at home. If I am out and about there seems to be free charging stations popping up everywhere.

The technology it comes with is staggering (no exaggeration, everyone who takes a ride is amazed by the tech), I don't have a key, I don't unlock or lock it, I don't start or stop it, I just walk up, get in and drive silently away. It can already drive itself on most roads and with the next few updates will be able to do much more (eg navigate all by itself from where you parked it to come and pick you up from where you are waiting for it).

All that aside, it is amazing that this thing can literally run on starlight rather than burning fossil fuels.

View media item 120400View media item 120401View media item 120398View media item 120396View media item 120397

Congratulations. I absolutely love the spec you chose too (Blue/Black). Massive fanboy of that combo.

Reactions: Ploddy
Furthermore, despite the current anti-science government, Australia is installing renewables at an enormous rate and the power sector might even hit the numbers we need for the Paris agreement. So sad that the coal-loving lickspittles in power are doing everything that they can to stop this, with the support of a media that is not far from pure evil.
If Australia hits its Paris targets without accounting trickery (using theoretical ‘credits’ from Kyoto) it’s fair to say it will be achieved despite everything this knuckle-dragging Government has done to try to stop it. Sheer and utter bastardry - which will then be rubbed in by the Government’s hypocrisy and breathtaking gall to try to take the credit for it if it happens.

I went solar+battery partly as a middle-finger to all the deniers and troglodytes out there. I now generate more power than I use using nothing but sunshine - but according to them that’s impossible and I live in a cave. And when I buy my Model 3, I won’t be buying petrol any more. So take that. Revenge to big coal and oil is soooo sweet.

When people ask me what, besides being electric, is different about a Tesla, I tell them there is no ON/OFF button or key. It just knows.

Honestly there are so many small differences to what people are conditioned too - the whole experience is just right.

Walk up to car
open door (already unlocked)
seat is in easy entry position,
sit in, press brake
Seat,mirrors,wheel moves to my personal position
Car is ready to put into drive and go.

Reverse is also true.
stop
push park button
seat moves to easy entry
get out, walk away.

Want to go somewhere?
Find the location on your phone, send location to car, job done
Or use voice command "Navigate to xxx"
Or connect your calendar and it knows when and where you need to be somewhere (so long as appointment has location)

• Love
Reactions: TaylorP
Honestly there are so many small differences to what people are conditioned too - the whole experience is just right.

Walk up to car
open door (already unlocked)
seat is in easy entry position,
sit in, press brake
Seat,mirrors,wheel moves to my personal position
Car is ready to put into drive and go.

Reverse is also true.
stop
push park button
seat moves to easy entry
get out, walk away.

Want to go somewhere?
Find the location on your phone, send location to car, job done
Or use voice command "Navigate to xxx"
Or connect your calendar and it knows when and where you need to be somewhere (so long as appointment has location)

Hmmm... I’ve got all that with my 2014 BMW 2 series coup.
But I’m still looking forward to getting my SR+ sometime in October to replace it.