Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 vs BMW 3 Series (Electrek)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KarenRei

ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ
Jul 18, 2017
Iceland
Great article over on Electrek comparing the Model 3 with the BMW 3 series while ignoring the fact that the former is electric, open for incentives and costs a small fraction as much to operate. The comparison is focused solely on what features you get standard or as options and for what price.

The short of it... it really looks like Tesla knocked it out of the park on this one.

Tesla Model 3 vs BMW 3 Series: how pricing and options compare

The short of it... it really looks like Tesla knocked it out of the park on this one.

Last week I would have agreed with you on this one. But now we know the base does only 220miles. When you then consider 10% safety buffers at top/bottom and add a winter penalty, suddenly we are left with less than 160 miles of safe, day-to-day usable range which (at least for me) doesn't replace an ICE. For that you need the extended range but that adds another 9k. So summary is, Model 3 is going to be a game changer no doubt but probably not a steal price-wise

Winter is only ~20% for a given speed (give or take), unless you're compacting snow (then it's complicated based on the snow's density and thickness). Slowing down (which you should do in the winter!) has a much more significant impact on range.

Before you add any options at all onto the Model 3, you have to bring the BMW's price up to ~$42-43k just to match the base $35k Model 3. That's $35k *without* tax incentives; if you get, say, $3750 in the US (not counting state incentives) then then Model 3 is $31250 base. Here in Iceland, EVs are exempt from VAT, which is a quarter of a vehicle's purchase price, so it's even more major And depending on how much you drive and your local gas prices, operating the vehicle will save you $1-3k per year.

So go on and add the long range pack. You still come out way ahead. As for me, I really don't see much of a point to more range (although I might be tempted into it for longevity reasons, or - if Tesla comes to Iceland - supercharging rates). My speed limit is 90kph (56 mph); driving the speed limit here in local summer weather conditions should give something like 300 miles range, due to the strong correlation between EV speed and energy consumption. Up to 5 1/2 hour long drive times. I mean, who needs that?

Last edited:
But now we know the base does only 220miles. When you then consider 10% safety buffers at top/bottom and add a winter penalty, suddenly we are left with less than 160 miles of safe, day-to-day usable range which (at least for me) doesn't replace an ICE. For that you need the extended range but that adds another 9k.
What fraction of the market drive anywhere near 160 miles almost daily without opportunistic charging ?
I'll be surprised if it reaches 1%

For the next couple of months I'll have trips where I drive 250 miles each way about twice a month. I'll have to stop for 10- 15 minutes at a SC en-route, which is about 0-5 minutes more each way that I otherwise would have in an ICE. This is so trivial, I'm going back to agonizing over what color to choose.

Last edited:
I waited for the model 3 reveal and really hoped that this would finally be a worthy replacement for my c-class....
Turns out I`d need to invest a good 50.000 just for an electric powertrain with decent range and still get an interieur that's several classes below what I´m used to....

Well, my desires for the model 3 died together with the reveal.
I fully expect TMC to be flooded by trolls bankrolled by the likes of BMW and Mercedes.

What fraction of the market drive anywhere near 160 miles almost daily without opportunistic charging ?
I'll be surprised if it reaches 1%

For the next couple of months I'll have trips where I drive 250 miles each way about twice a month. I'll have to stop for 10- 15 minutes at a SC en-route, which is about 0-5 minutes more each way that I otherwise would have in an ICE. This is so trivial, I'm going back to agonizing over what color to choose.
So there is still 1% of the market left for BMW. Tesla is thriving with <1% of auto market share, BMW can learn to do the same :D

So there is still 1% of the market left for BMW. Tesla is thriving with <1% of auto market share, BMW can learn to do the same :D
That exact thought crossed my mind too. And judging by the stock market, many others as well

Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 8.30.16 AM.png

Last edited:
Last week I would have agreed with you on this one. But now we know the base does only 220miles. When you then consider 10% safety buffers at top/bottom and add a winter penalty, suddenly we are left with less than 160 miles of safe, day-to-day usable range which (at least for me) doesn't replace an ICE. For that you need the extended range but that adds another 9k. So summary is, Model 3 is going to be a game changer no doubt but probably not a steal price-wise

Why do people think it was going to be a steal price-wise? Tesla is in many ways still a startup. What they were aiming to do with the Model 3 was produce a car that is half as expensive as the Model S and they did that. Going from a 75D to a 100D in a Model S gets you an extra 76 miles of range and costs and extra $23k. To me $9k for an extra 90 miles in a Model 3 isn't too bad.

Going from a 75D to a 100D in a Model S gets you an extra 76 miles of range and costs and extra $23k. To me $9k for an extra 90 miles in a Model 3 isn't too bad.
Exactly. In fact, at least for now the only other car with over 300 miles range is the 100 kWh Model S, which starts at ~$100k.

Some people are deflating from ridiculous expectations, but the Model 3 is stunning value.

Why do people think it was going to be a steal price-wise? Tesla is in many ways still a startup. What they were aiming to do with the Model 3 was produce a car that is half as expensive as the Model S and they did that. Going from a 75D to a 100D in a Model S gets you an extra 76 miles of range and costs and extra $23k. To me $9k for an extra 90 miles in a Model 3 isn't too bad.

Well EM said base at 35k will be better than any other car at that price - is that reasoning completely off when considering whether it is a steal or not? Also, I don't believe local temporary EV incentives should be considered for the comparison.

Don't get me wrong, I do believe the Model 3 is a game changer no doubt. I already own a Hybrid so will never consider a pure ICE and will definitely be getting a Model 3 for sure but this comparison relates to the general folk to whom BMW 3 appeals to - for them, I don't think it is a clear cut winner as was originally anticipated.

Reactions: AceSkywalker
Simply put...most people aren`t looking at the model 3 from a general EV perspective, let alone from a model S perspective, which is high luxury segment.

People like me without an EV background simply hoped for something like......well something on the level of a VW Passat or similar at roughly the same price...but electrified. Exactly what the classic manufacturers still don`t offer.

But with that pricing, feature list and perceived quality (cockpit f.e.).......it`s another enthusiast car imho.

I did this same comparison yesterday and came to similar conclusions: Tesla has just killed BMW (and Mercedes etc.)

Same here. The Model 3's price advantage ($35K v. $44K for comparably equipped BMW 330i) is especially noteworthy because it ignores not only tax advantages and other incentives but fuel savings, which are significant for most people -- about $900 per year in the U.S. on average or $4500 over five years, if the .237kWh/mile estimate floating around is correct.

Using .237kWh/mile, average fuel costs for a Model 3 in the U.S. should be $370 based on 12,000 miles and average residential electricity costs (currently $0.13/kWh). EIA - Electricity Data

Average fuel cost for the BMW 330i in the U.S. is $1267 based on 12,000 miles, 27 MPG (EPA combined estimate) and $2.85/gallon average cost of premium gasoline. Retail Prices for Premium Gasoline

Obviously the price savings can be higher or lower depending on local electricity and gas prices, but on average make the price advantage of the Model 3 base version over the BMW 330i even greater -- something on the order of $13.5K over five years in the U.S.

Last edited: