Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 vs BMW 3 Series (Electrek)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did this same comparison yesterday and came to similar conclusions: Tesla has just killed BMW (and Mercedes etc.)

Except for the Audi A4 base price $36000, which includes

3 zone automatic climate control

Comfort armrest

Sunroof with sunshade power tilt and slide features

Auto dimming interior rear view mirror with digital compass

Trunk storage package (cargo tie-downs, right-side net and grocery hooks

Leather seating surfaces

Eight-way power front seats and four-way power lumbar adjustment for driver

Heated front seats

10 speakers signal CD player with MP3 playback

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

2 x SDXC card slots with 64GB operating capacity

Audi music interface with two USB ports for data and charging connections

Homelink

Rear view Parking camera

Keyless engine start/stop

Audi pre sense basic

Audi pre sense city

Rain/light sensor for automatic windshield wipers and headlights

Front and rear floor mats

Choice of white or black paint no charge

9 other paints for $575

4 different leather seat colors no charge

Taking the Model S as a template, you have to convert the base price to Euro 1 to 1. Then add 10% import duty and 19% VAT.

And then add 19% VAT to the BMW, and subtract €4,000 from the Tesla for the EV rebate. Good try, though ;)

Add the PUP, 19'' wheels and some colour other than black and you are at about 56K Euro

Then do the same thing to the BMW, which only offers black and basic white base colours and charges €700 for other colours; comes standard in 17" wheels; etc. And PUP isn't an option in either the Model 3 (at least at present) or the 3-series (ever). The 3-series seats are actually unusually swampy in hot weather.

Comfort armrest

Leather seating surfaces

Heated front seats

Homelink

Rear view Parking camera

Audi pre sense basic

Audi pre sense city

9 other paints for $575

Yet in the U.S. in 2018 it will probably sell about as well as the similarly priced Bolt. Why is that?

What fraction of the market drive anywhere near 160 miles almost daily without opportunistic charging ?
I'll be surprised if it reaches 1%

For the next couple of months I'll have trips where I drive 250 miles each way about twice a month. I'll have to stop for 10- 15 minutes at a SC en-route, which is about 0-5 minutes more each way that I otherwise would have in an ICE. This is so trivial, I'm going back to agonizing over what color to choose.
I will reiterate this comment, on a daily basis, most people don't drive alot per day, may be 100 miles. Do we really think the vast majority of people (vast majority does not equal southern california) drive even more than 100 miles per day?

So I was actually a bit disappointed with the comparison namely on size specs. I thought the 3 would be bigger on the inside than a 3-series due to innovative packaging and design by Tesla. But what we have is an almost identical interior size-wise with an additional 2 cubic feet of storage space. Having driven 3-series before I'd hardly call them spacious. Wasn't Elon saying he'd shrink the exterior more than the interior? The Electrek article basically says that the 3 series has the same headroom, legroom, hip/shoulder room and cargo room as the Model 3 in basically the same exterior dimensions. What's innovative here (putting aside the drivetrain and other tech)? And with the D next year, I presume frunk will shrink and we will have about the same cargo space as the 3-series, no?

What am I missing?
The car was designed to perform better on safety tests and crash tests. This engineering constraint limits the internal size. Clearly the MS nad MX could have been very big on the inside but at the expense of less well designed structural members.

• Informative
Reactions: gavine

Comfort armrest

Leather seating surfaces

Heated front seats

Homelink

Rear view Parking camera

Audi pre sense basic

Audi pre sense city

9 other paints for $575

And the 100k people who lined up during a work day to reserve an A4...

It's going to be really interesting to see what Tesla looks like in 2019 - once the most die hard folks have gotten their orders AND full production is up at 500,000 cars per year. Will there be enough demand for a $40k-$60k car to meet these production goals? Currently the BMW 3 series is not even manufacturing 500,000 cars per year, and USA Sales make up 100,000 - 140,000 of that. (numbers at the bottom of the page)

So we're saying that the model 3 is going to replace and surpass the BMW 3 series sales? That's a tall order, especially without tax credits.

Despite the vocal camp here that thinks they hit it out of the park, there's another just as vocal camp outside these forums that doesn't agree. More to the point, I think many can agree that BMW is the reigning King for a reason, it's a solid car that's fun to drive. It's not like the rest of the ISE world (again outside of these forums) is clamoring for a replacement. You have to convince them to make the change somehow.

uuuh, ex-fanboy here. after taking yesterday to largely refrain from posting and think about it a lot, I'm still seeing the base Model 3 as not being competitive with a loaded Civic. Yeah the EV-ICE part is not comparable, but looking at the overall package, it just makes better short-term sense for someone not obsessed with EVs or performance driving to throw $25k+ at a loaded Civic or Accord than settle for a bare bones $35k Model 3, especially if the bulk of full tax credits are taken by high-end 3 buyers.

Model 3 should've been sold as a smaller, less equipped, $50k version of the Model S with cheaper, even less amazing versions eventually available instead of a $35k mass market car. This isn't a mass market car, it's an expensive toy that probably won't make a meaningful impact on the real mass market of Toyota/Honda/Subaru drivers. That's the group that needs to be sold on EVs for any meaningful transition away from ICE to occur.

It's going to be really interesting to see what Tesla looks like in 2019 - once the most die hard folks have gotten their orders AND full production is up at 500,000 cars per year. Will there be enough demand for a $40k-$60k car to meet these production goals? Currently the BMW 3 series is not even manufacturing 500,000 cars per year, and USA Sales make up 100,000 - 140,000 of that. (numbers at the bottom of the page)

So we're saying that the model 3 is going to replace and surpass the BMW 3 series sales? That's a tall order, especially without tax credits.

Despite the vocal camp here that thinks they hit it out of the park, there's another just as vocal camp outside these forums that doesn't agree. More to the point, I think many can agree that BMW is the reigning King for a reason, it's a solid car that's fun to drive. It's not like the rest of the ISE world (again outside of these forums) is clamoring for a replacement. You have to convince them to make the change somehow.
Not too worried about it. The 500k per year is just a target. Tesla doesn't really have to hit it to do well.

It's like the worry about the Model S when it first launched.

uuuh, ex-fanboy here. after taking yesterday to largely refrain from posting and think about it a lot, I'm still seeing the base Model 3 as not being competitive with a loaded Civic. Yeah the EV-ICE part is not comparable, but looking at the overall package, it just makes better short term sense rather throw $25k+ at a loaded Civic than settle for a $35k Model 3, especially if the bulk of full tax credits are taken by high-end 3 purchasers.

Model 3 should've been sold as a smaller, less equipped, $50k version of the Model S with cheaper, even less amazing versions eventually available instead of a $35k mass market car. This isn't a mass market car, it's an expensive toy that probably won't make a meaningful impact on the real mass market of Toyota/Honda/Subaru drivers. That's the group that needs to be sold on EVs for any meaningful transition away from ICE to occur.
We get these comparisons from time to time, but they don't make sense considering how Tesla had been presenting the Model 3 all along. It was always aimed at the 3 series/A4. It was never aimed at the economy market.

In general, you can always get a loaded economy car for a lot less than an entry level premium car.

EVs that try to compete with loaded economy ICE cars tend to fall flat on their face in terms of sales (see the Bolt) as it's not possible to hide the long range battery costs with such a low price (and people in general are not willing to pay a large battery premium). So counter-intuitively, using the strategy you suggest actually leads to lower EV sales and a less meaningful transition away from ICE.

Tesla's strategy actually ensures the car is competitive in its segment (the equipment levels are similar with entry level premium cars). It will still result in around ~300k-500k sales per year (that's how much the 3 series sells; many people underestimate its sales). That's moving as fast as Tesla can expand already.

We get these comparisons from time to time, but they don't make sense considering how Tesla had been presenting the Model 3 all along. It was always aimed at the 3 series/A4. It was never aimed at the economy market.

In general, you can always get a loaded economy car for a lot less than an entry level premium car.

EVs that try to compete with loaded economy ICE cars tend to fall flat on their face in terms of sales (see the Bolt) as it's not possible to hide the battery costs with such a low cost (and people in general are not willing to pay a large battery premium). So counter-intuitively, using the strategy you suggest actually leads to lower EV sales and a less meaningful transition away from ICE.

Tesla's strategy actually ensures the car is competitive in its segment (the equipment levels are similar with entry level premium cars). It will still result in around ~300k-500k sales per year (that's how much the 3 series sells; many people underestimate its sales).
Yeah, but I just don't see Tesla accelerating a move to sustainable transport with it's cars yet. They've started the conversation, but the movement conintues to limp along. Actually, perhaps Elon's goal really is to get manufacturers with the production wherewithal to go EV, which is happening sloooowly. Eh, at the end of the day, I'm ashamed to admit that I had high hopes for this car - probably exacerbated by me buying rumors that never came to fruition - that have been dashed by the actual details revealed last Friday.

Model 3 was supposed to be a game changer, but is really just another expensive toy. After 15+ months of me evangelizing Tesla and the Model 3, a few co-workers have already stopped by my office to take pleasure in throwing this in my face this morning.

Yeah, but I just don't see Tesla accelerating a move to sustainable transport with it's cars yet. They've started the conversation, but the movement conintues to limp along. Actually, perhaps Elon's goal really is to get manufacturers with the production wherewithal to go EV, which is happening sloooowly. Eh, at the end of the day, I'm ashamed to admit that I had high hopes for this car -probably exacerbated by rumors that never came to fruition - that have been dashed by the actual details revealed last Friday.
What exactly did not come to fruition?

• Disagree
Reactions: zmarty and Big-T

Comfort armrest

Leather seating surfaces

Heated front seats

Homelink

Rear view Parking camera

Audi pre sense basic

Audi pre sense city

9 other paints for $575

Had a Audi A4 for a loaner it was a fun car to drive. Audi's virtual cockpit is awesome !!