Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Performance Model 3 Sleeper Models $50k - value of upgrades?

Do you think the value of parts between Sleeper and Full P3 is $5k?

• 1. More than $5k of P upgrades

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • 2. Less than $5k

Votes: 29 65.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been helping a huge group of people find these cars and kept on getting asked the same question - what is the value of upgrades from the New $50k Sleeper P3 and the existing P3 at $55k.

What do you think is the Value of: 20” rims, Carbon Fiber Spoiler, Suspension, and Track Mode?

All I know is the stock of these Sleeper Models at $50k is selling very fast based on my own site, OAs chats, and responding to 100s of msg.

Thanks all :)
Dave - TeslaShowroomDeals

Attachments

• 32312184-6C76-442A-92AB-E340FD53D2F7.jpeg
    32312184-6C76-442A-92AB-E340FD53D2F7.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 400
Last edited:
That value is in the eye of each person, correct? In order to determine the cost, you would have to look at what those parts would be purchased separately. The cost of the 20 inch wheels on tesla's website is 4k (just wheels, not the brakes). So for 1k additional one gets the brakes, the spoiler, whatever the differences are in the suspension, and track mode.

Most car manufacturers would charge more than 1k for the enhanced brakes by themselves. None of that matters if a person doesnt find the value in it. I personally can not stand the look of the aero cap wheels, and would never have them on my model 3, regardless of the efficiency of those wheels. Obviously the 19s and 20s look the same.

Reactions: mswlogo
That value is in the eye of each person, correct? In order to determine the cost, you would have to look at what those parts would be purchased separately. The cost of the 20 inch wheels on tesla's website is 4k (just wheels, not the brakes). So for 1k additional one gets the brakes, the spoiler, whatever the differences are in the suspension, and track mode.

Most car manufacturers would charge more than 1k for the enhanced brakes by themselves. None of that matters if a person doesnt find the value in it. I personally can not stand the look of the aero cap wheels, and would never have them on my model 3, regardless of the efficiency of those wheels. Obviously the 19s and 20s look the same.

Well that’s why I’m asking what YOU value it at? Plus I don’t think Tesla rim prices are accurate cause you also have the selling value of the Aero.

How much more does it cost Tesla? Probably 2K in parts.
How much will it cost to upgrade to the same exact setup from a - to a +? Probably 4-5K.
What's the most economic way to upgrade the car? Get sticky summer tires (18 inch) and upgrade the brake pads. Probably 1.2. - 1.5K total cost.

Track mode is included in the old P3D- cars. Not sure about the newer ones.

Reactions: SoCalLawyer
The 20" sport wheel/tire package is $4k. The 18" aero wheel/tire package would likely be $2k, so a $2k net difference. Spoiler is $600. Factor in brakes and suspension, and it might easily be $5k in parts, etc.

I just picked up my P3D- (Or as some have started calling it, P3D Stealth). It has track mode.

For me, I don't want to be stuck with the larger wheels. I like the look of the aero's without the caps on. I don't like to stand out so this model is perfect for me. Except for the red underlined 'Dual Motor' badge, it looks just like my MR did. If I can find an easy way to remove that, I'll be removing it too.

I just picked up my P3D- (Or as some have started calling it, P3D Stealth). It has track mode.

For me, I don't want to be stuck with the larger wheels. I like the look of the aero's without the caps on. I don't like to stand out so this model is perfect for me. Except for the red underlined 'Dual Motor' badge, it looks just like my MR did. If I can find an easy way to remove that, I'll be removing it too.

Did you trade in your MR model to get this version of the performance model, or did you keep it and add the new car to your stable?

I see little value in the PUP and often see complaints about each individual component. But I think it comes down to the person and what they want to do with the car. If they care a lot about looks and aren't tracking the car then the 20" wheels are highly attractive to a bunch of people. However, the big problem is those same wheels combined with the low profile tires are not great for daily driving if where you live is riddled with potholes, especially bigger ones and they are expensive to replace along with the tires. This is one of the biggest reasons I've see why people want to avoid the PUP entirely, myself included. The tires are nice but because the model 3 is not traction limited they don't help in straight line performance, just for additional grip and thus handling in the curves. In fact the Sleeper P3D is likely to be a tad faster than with the heavy 20" wheels. So if you're someone who wants to track your car lightly or loves to drive in the twisties, then you'll probably see the value. If you're someone who plans to track your car moderate to heavily, you're probably just going to change out the brakes/wheels anyways because neither of those do a whole lot compared to aftermarket. Tesla really should have just gone with much beefier brakes and probably 19" wheels. The biggest value to someone planning to track the car is going to be Track Mode. The spoiler is attractive to a lot of people but not anything noticeable in functionality unless you're really going at super high speeds with the car. I'm sure people serious about tracking might get an aftermarket spoiler though.

In terms of importance ranking to those who may want PUP for any various reasons, I'd put them in this order:
20” rims
Track Mode
Carbon Fiber Spoiler
Suspension

I still don't have the rear spoiler. I wonder what Tesla's cost is for those ?

I don't know what the real differences are between my full P3D brakes and the standard brakes (other than bigger red calipers), but I agree with @jjrandorin on the cost of brake upgrades from other car manufacturers. For example, the brake upgrade (granted they are carbon ceramic and the mine are not) on the new NSX is $10,600.