Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Tesla Model S Battery Extended Service Plans from 057 Technology

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Again, if you've got a service plan, need service, and haven't gotten it: DM me.

For the record, I've received zero DM's, emails, PMs, etc here or elsewhere regarding this since my post above 10 days ago. In fact, the last DM about anything service plan related was in September it looks like. (Popping in now from an unrelated DM notification, and it reminded me of the above.)

Not sure if I can roll my eyes any harder about all of this. I'd expect people would be knocking down my DM door if there were an actual issue, but that's clearly not the case.

Inside info Re: Renewals: They were scrapped before I left. A solid effort was made to extend the program indefinitely, though, but the options were basically renewals for anywhere from $4k - $9k for another 24 months (depending on exact vehicle), or to just not bother. No one was going to renew at those rates, or at least not enough people to make sense supporting for that long, so renewals (outside of those permitted by the terms under certain conditions) were scrapped.

Funny enough, I had a convo around that time, back when the Powerball was over $1B again, where I said (paraphrasing) that if I won the Powerball I'd just spend some of those millions on new packs right at local Tesla service centers for everyone who'd signed up, and then retire. 😅 Sadly I've won no billions.

For the record, I've received zero DM's, emails, PMs, etc here or elsewhere regarding this since my post above 10 days ago. In fact, the last DM about anything service plan related was in September it looks like. (Popping in now from an unrelated DM notification, and it reminded me of the above.)
That DM, I'm assuming, was from me back in September when I got radio silence from 057 after Tesla diagnosed my '13 with needing an HV replacement (I didn't get a response, btw). I was just looking for any response from a human at 057 as my car sat for a month and counting while hearing absolutely nothing from 057. It wasn't until I posted about it here on TMC that I got any sort of response (here, suggesting I get a second opinion). I had the car towed to a different SC where I outlined everything I wanted them to check (battery heater, PTC heater, drive unit), they still came back and said it needed an HV replacement. At that point, my options were either to keep pressing Tesla, have the car towed back to me and hope I get a response from 057, or just have Tesla do the replacement.

In the end, I decided to just have Tesla do the replacement. It had been over a month from the initial diagnosis and I honestly was just frustrated by the entire experience and had lost all hope that 057 could help me...oh and I actually needed to use my car.

I'm not looking for anything here, I just want to share my experience with needing my service plan and being left hanging.

Sorry, I am choosing to no longer directly engage in fruitless discussions that do not pertain to the issue most of us are here for.
In any case, Though I am now aware of the difference, I will be referring to the company generally as "057" and will not be distinguishing between the "old 057" and "new 057" unless necessary. I feel this is fine as the current iteration of the company, and apparent terms of the mid-2023 sale, seem to prefer that the end user believe they are wholey the same entity.

I am in the same boat. I purchased the service plan in 2022. I reached out to them for details on when I would get the required BMD. Was told could be sometime. No sweat. But never got it. Again no sweat. I did not speak up much, as I was also under the impression that if anything happened to my battery and I contacted them, they would support me regardless...so again no sweat as I understand COVID impacted a lot of business in various ways.

As of today, it would be nice to know what is going on, so I will continue to wait to see what is going on. I will just save my money next time and recommend others to as well. Better to just save it and pay Tesla to fix it if you ever get into that mess.

Better to just save it and pay Tesla to fix it if you ever get into that mess.
Well, that seems to be taking the wrong moral of the story. I think the more relevant moral is "Don't prepay for large things like this." You can wait and see when it happens, and then pay as you go with another shop that is still operating. It doesn't have to be Tesla, which is going to be more expensive.

Not sure if I can roll my eyes any harder about all of this. I'd expect people would be knocking down my DM door if there were an actual issue, but that's clearly not the case.

Inside info Re: Renewals: They were scrapped before I left. A solid effort was made to extend the program indefinitely, though, but the options were basically renewals for anywhere from $4k - $9k for another 24 months (depending on exact vehicle), or to just not bother. No one was going to renew at those rates, or at least not enough people to make sense supporting for that long, so renewals (outside of those permitted by the terms under certain conditions) were scrapped.

Funny enough, I had a convo around that time, back when the Powerball was over $1B again, where I said (paraphrasing) that if I won the Powerball I'd just spend some of those millions on new packs right at local Tesla service centers for everyone who'd signed up, and then retire. 😅 Sadly I've won no billions.
Jason I just tried to DM you here on this forum and it said no. Please let me know how to contact you directly. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_3982.jpeg
    IMG_3982.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 37

Also says I cannot message you on Twitter since I am not “verified”?? WTF.

Attachments

• IMG_3983.png
    IMG_3983.png
    398.4 KB · Views: 26

Jason, this is what I am trying to DM you:

Jason, I purchased the service plan in July of 2022. Last message received from the online ticket system was from a Russ Wrye telling me to standby for my BMD tracking once it ships in Dec of 2022. Subsequent messages and phone calls are unanswered. I don’t currently have any battery issues on my 2014 Model S. So with all that said, I’m assuming my plan expires this year. I’m quite upset with the lack of official communication. I don’t count back and forth on a Tesla forum “official communication” from any business. I feel if I did have a battery failure, I would have gotten the same treatment, with zero contact. I hope you understand my frustration. This battery service plan was a HUGE factor in why I decided to purchase a used Tesla out of factory warranty. I’m retired military on a fixed income and wouldn’t be able to afford the cost of a replacement HV battery if needed. I’ve been worried about all this mess since never receiving my BMD or any more official communication. I appreciate your time in reading this Jason.

Last edited:
Well, that seems to be taking the wrong moral of the story. I think the more relevant moral is "Don't prepay for large things like this." You can wait and see when it happens, and then pay as you go with another shop that is still operating. It doesn't have to be Tesla, which is going to be more expensive.
I agree with what you are saying. I was not trying to take any moral stance. Just an opinion. Everyone will have their bandwidth to these things. For my situation at this time, there are no reputable shops near me...so I will have to take it to Tesla. Most likely more folks are in this same boat. But I sure hope to find a more reputable shop locally soon...As I really would love to hold onto my MS85 for as long as possible.

Jason I just tried to DM you here on this forum and it said no.
Duhh... 😅

• Funny
Reactions: cleverscreenam
I agree with what you are saying. I was not trying to take any moral stance. Just an opinion. Everyone will have their bandwidth to these things. For my situation at this time, there are no reputable shops near me...so I will have to take it to Tesla. Most likely more folks are in this same boat. But I sure hope to find a more reputable shop locally soon...As I really would love to hold onto my MS85 for as long as possible.
Quan Wang from the BMS_u029/018 Facebook Group is located in between Baltimore and DC. I've talked to him and he's excited about starting to work on Teslas. Want me to connect you two?

This is a waiting game. Each purchaser's service plan will expire thus eliminating them from the list. The list will shrink until the last plan has expired ... problem solved.
Yup. Exactly. I was literally thinking about this today. They are just waiting for all plans to expire and fade away into the sunset….🤬

Hughes pokes the hornet nest and gets this...
That DM, I'm assuming, was from me back in September when I got radio silence from 057 after Tesla diagnosed my '13 with needing an HV
replacement (I didn't get a response, btw). I was just looking for any response from a human at 057 as my car sat for a month and counting while hearing absolutely nothing from 057. It wasn't until I posted about it here on TMC that I got any sort of response (here, suggesting I get a second opinion). I had the car towed to a different SC where I outlined everything I wanted them to check (battery heater, PTC heater, drive unit), they still came back and said it needed an HV replacement. At that point, my options were either to keep pressing Tesla, have the car towed back to me and hope I get a response from 057, or just have Tesla do the replacement.

In the end, I decided to just have Tesla do the replacement. It had been over a month from the initial diagnosis and I honestly was just frustrated by the entire experience and had lost all hope that 057 could help me...oh and I actually needed to use my car.

I'm not looking for anything here, I just want to share my experience with needing my service plan and being left hanging.

Oct 1, 2023:
BMS_w035 is almost never a battery pack issue. Not sure why no one has responded with that info. We use the BMD to determine when possible, but we can't always see what the source of an external isolation issue is. When the BMD isn't available, we usually want to see something other than an external isolation fault to indicate a failure of the battery before shipping a vehicle a long distance and wasting resources all around only to find out it's unrelated.

BMS_w035 is usually the battery heater, PTC heater, or drive unit. On a 2013, I'd lean towards the drive unit. Failures have once again been creeping up in regularity, and usually show as BMS_w035 or similar isolation fault errors.

Tesla misdiagnoses this pretty regularly, and I tell customers to insist that Tesla perform isolation checks on all HV components directly. Sadly, Tesla seems to be so short on good techs that as soon as they see "BMS"-anything, they're just like "you need a battery" and quit there. You definitely don't want to ship your car across the country to find out you just need a $500 unrelated repair. Unless you're right around the corner, I'd suggest making Tesla do their job and get a proper diagnosis.
- this is all from the guy that promised everyone a BMD, telling a client that the Tesla Service Center diagnosis is incorrect (and the second SC) because "[it's} almost never a battery pack issue" and eluding that this could be verified or differentiated if Hughes/057 had sent the client the BMD that the client had paid for.

Hughes Oct 1, 2023: "Not sure why no one has responded with that info."
Oof, that statement has not aged well. None of us are sure why anyone at 057 hasn't responded to any of our inquiries. Two weeks ago, this man was threatening legal action to defend his allegedly former company's name while the company itself is the one doing the actual harm. Laughable.

Hughes: Oct 1, 2023: "We use the BMD to determine when possible, but we can't always see what the source of an external isolation issue is."
Well, this pretty much drives the point home as to why so many of us feel duped about not getting a BMD like we were promised.
Please, keep coming around every week or two to dig a bigger hole for yourself.

Analogy:

My insurance company won't answer the phone anymore. Or email. Website "contact us" form was also fruitless but it now says they're not selling any new policies. I prepaid my premium up front in full for the year [2 years in this case, though car insurance is usually 6 or 12 months payment at a time], just a short time before they went silent. Someone online found evidence the company ceased operations. Do I have an active policy? I sure hope never to need to file a claim, who does, but since it looks like they won't be there if and when I need to file one, I better try to look at options to get my money back.

Yes not 100% apples to apples, not a warranty but a service plan, not insurance which has strict state motor vehicle rules but a service plan, yada yada yada. Focus on the "I paid a lot for something and who knows if it's worth the paper it's printed on" part.

I agree with what you are saying. I was not trying to take any moral stance. Just an opinion.
Uh, no, not that meaning of the word moral, like good or bad morality. It's like "What's the moral of the story?" like what is the summary lesson to be learned from this?

For my situation at this time, there are no reputable shops near me...so I will have to take it to Tesla.
But why? Near you shouldn't matter. For something like this, that is kind of niche, I think it's better to go with a shop that is good and reputable, rather than just being "near me". If my battery were to fail tomorrow, I would probably use a shop called Recell that is in Texas, because: "Shipping and Installation Included*" Their cost of battery replacement of $9,995 includes shipping the car from your house to their shop. And then you can pick it up there, or they can add the cost for return shipping. It would still be cheaper than Tesla.

Uh, no, not that meaning of the word moral, like good or bad morality. It's like "What's the moral of the story?" like what is the summary lesson to be learned from this?

But why? Near you shouldn't matter. For something like this, that is kind of niche, I think it's better to go with a shop that is good and reputable, rather than just being "near me". If my battery were to fail tomorrow, I would probably use a shop called Recell that is in Texas, because: "Shipping and Installation Included*" Their cost of battery replacement of $9,995 includes shipping the car from your house to their shop. And then you can pick it up there, or they can add the cost for return shipping. It would still be cheaper than Tesla.

Recell is probably one of the better options for quick turn around, reputable work, and best bang for the buck (base price+free transpo to them+no extra install cost+no state tax if from out of state). Recell's basic warranty is 6-12 months (don't remember off hand) but they do offer a two year/25k mile extended warranty for $2500. The owner would be responsible to return the car to them for any warranty work.

A Tesla reman is around $16k total with a four year/50k mile warranty bundled in. And if there's any warranty issues the owner simply has to take it to their nearest Tesla Service Center.

Both have their pros/cons, so an owner needs to digest all the info and make their own decision.

Where has he said that? All I've seen is him say if you have an issue requiring service under your agreement and aren't getting a response that he would try to push things from his side...
@wk057 said to DM him, but it appears that he's disabled DM's. Mouse over his avatar in his last post and the "start conversation" button is gone. Attempting to do it through https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/conversations/add gives the "You may not start a conversation with the following recipients: wk057" error that @ccalahan saw.

I just want someone at 057 to respond to my 5 month old ticket that is being ignored. I don't need battery service; I'm trying to get a cancellation/partial refund after trading in my S.