Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to be patient. I am just tired of driving a CRV :crying:
Yep, I'm also doing my best to be patient. Here, an 85D would be ideal for snow and ice, but not at today's prices. I'll continue to tolerate having to put state-mandated snow chains on a 2WD car provided it's cheap enough (ideally in the $40s). While I'm thankful for the LEAF and Prius that we are currently driving, and I still enjoy the LEAF for local driving, a Tesla will really be a welcomed step up for our family.

Just look at the prices of 2014 P85 CPO vehicles. Add about $10-15K to those prices and that's about where the P85D prices will be next year.

Be patient :) P85D prices have nowhere to go but down.

I really wonder if it's wise if Tesla depreciates their cars quickly as some of us hope they will. For us first-time buyers, the more the prices are depressed, the better but for those who want to trade in or resale, the more depressed the prices, the worse off they are. So I feel that Tesla would do better to prop up prices of the used Teslas so that current, and more importantly potential, owners are not feeling like they bought a quickly depreciating asset. I don't know how Tesla depreciation compares to comparable ICE cars but the market will eventually decide what the "correct" price-points are. As a potential buyer, I would love to get a great deal but would that great deal turn into a bad deal when I try to sell it down the line?

I really wonder if it's wise if Tesla depreciates their cars quickly as some of us hope they will. For us first-time buyers, the more the prices are depressed, the better but for those who want to trade in or resale, the more depressed the prices, the worse off they are. So I feel that Tesla would do better to prop up prices of the used Teslas so that current, and more importantly potential, owners are not feeling like they bought a quickly depreciating asset. I don't know how Tesla depreciation compares to comparable ICE cars but the market will eventually decide what the "correct" price-points are. As a potential buyer, I would love to get a great deal but would that great deal turn into a bad deal when I try to sell it down the line?

What makes you think that Tesla has any control over how much the cars depreciate? A premium luxury car is a quickly depreciating asset. Always has been. Always will be as within a year or two something better will be available and this pace of innovation will be even higher for EVs. It has barely been a year and the P85D has already been eclipsed by the P90D as the ultimate in EV performance and who knows what next year will bring...

A P85D depreciates about $1700 each month for about the first year or so and this is the reason that a P85D costs about that much each month to lease. The issue with the current CPO pricing is that IMHO actual depreciation is not fully reflected in the listed prices. The listed prices barely take into account about $10,000 in rebates. Then you consider a CPO car with options that you may not even want and it makes more sense to buy new and just pay for the options you want.

With the current CPO pricing, they are hoping people will pay more. And some I am sure may just do that but I bet there are many others waiting on the sidelines. Sooner or later used Model S prices will settle around the price of a used Mercedes S Class with perhaps about a 10% premium for the Tesla but not much more than that. The used Tesla market is still developing as the supply increases. To put that in perspective realize that next year Tesla plans to build as many cars as they did since pretty much the inception of the company and those cars are eventually going to hit the used market and essentially double it within the next year or two.

Yes, they can attempt to control the market by setting prices and controlling inventory but at the end of the day the market will set the prices.

As for your conundrum about what would happen when you later sell the used car you buy, realize you are buying a premium luxury car. It is not an investment and it is a quickly depreciating asset. Just look up a 3-5 year old S Class and perhaps add a 10-15% premium to that to have some idea about what a used Model S of that age might fetch.

Whether new or slightly used, you have to pay to play as the depreciation will be quite high...

Last edited:
There are several 85D's in the 82K to 90K range on cars.com. I doubt prices will go much lower than that for a year or so. We are about a year into the P85D and prices are still high.
One could buy a brand new 85D for that much... Agree with MsElectric that these are "premium" cars and are bound to depreciate at some point. And for a savings of $20K, I'll be willing to install tire chains on an S-85 now and then. My time is valuable, but not that valuable.

We're all speculating on where/when prices will go. Nobody knows with certainty and maybe some of the guesses will pan out but it's still a guessing game. I certainly hope prices will fall more for my own benefit but if an asset depreciates quickly in the beginning, presumably its value later on is less than an asset that doesn't depreciate as quickly. For a new car buyer, obviously they know that the car depreciates as soon as you take delivery, probably even before the ink is dry! It's a question of how much and how quickly. Tesla can control the depreciation by setting the price at which they sell the CPOs. They don't negotiate as far as I know and if there are willing buyers, then the cars move; otherwise, the cars sit and they start discounting as we've seen from the price history on HLR's ev-cpo site.

Cars.com also has a P85 for 40K- scam/fake/fraudulent...of course it is. I am another waiting for the CPO program to match my budget, and would have a really hard time purchasing from a private party. Not for this car, no way.

All things being equal, I would actually prefer to purchase from a private party as long as the selling price is reasonable. There is a distinct advantage in purchasing a car from a private party. You get to meet the previous owner of the car and get some sense as to how it was used. The biggest benefit is that you can buy a 2015 Model S with an Extended Warranty good until 2023 by purchasing from a private party. With a CPO 2015 Model S the warranty will run out in 2019 with no way to extend it. We keep our cars about 6-8 years so for us the lack of CPO warranty extension makes a private purchase much more attractive since we wouldn't want to own a Model S (or any high end car for that matter) out of warranty.

As long as you check the CarFax, have the car pre-purchase inspected at a high end body shop for any possible past damage, and then take the car over to a Tesla Service Center with the original owner and have them pull up and go over the full service and repair history of the car a private purchase can be just as good, if not better than a CPO car. IMHO anyone buying a used Tesla, private party or CPO should do those 3 things I suggested as a part of your due diligence.

I would actually prefer to purchase from a private party as long as the selling price is reasonable. There is a distinct advantage in purchasing a car from a private party. You get to meet the previous owner of the car and get some sense as to how it was used.

Hmm, we feel the exact opposite. We want the "new" car feeling, so we don't want to know or need to deal with anything of the previous owner.

Our CPO was in the kind of shape you'd call "well loved" (well used might be more apt).

Tesla took it from that condition to near-new in three weeks, and when we took possession, it was just like having a new car. New tires, brakes, charging equipment, all maintenance (titanium shield, etc)...you name it.

Given how robust (to say the least!) the Tesla Model S is, how overbuilt the components, there just isn't the same sense that a previous owner "babied" or "hammered" the car. No way to know.

We have an early 2013, "A" pack battery, but the range "loss" is very minimal, so who knows or cares what the previous owner did, the drive train is solid and well within tolerance/norms.

My 2c.

33 cars removed from the site.....WHAT IS HAPPENING?!!!

One sold, and looks like they pulled off 32 cars -- ALL Inventory cars which were just added 4 days ago. Interesting and odd.

Either adding them in was in error, or someone changed their minds about listing that many Inventory cars on their site.

- - - Updated - - -

13 of these cars were P90DL cars with pretty low miles. I wonder why they decided to remove them?

Hmm, we feel the exact opposite. We want the "new" car feeling, so we don't want to know or need to deal with anything of the previous owner.

Our CPO was in the kind of shape you'd call "well loved" (well used might be more apt).

Tesla took it from that condition to near-new in three weeks, and when we took possession, it was just like having a new car. New tires, brakes, charging equipment, all maintenance (titanium shield, etc)...you name it.

Given how robust (to say the least!) the Tesla Model S is, how overbuilt the components, there just isn't the same sense that a previous owner "babied" or "hammered" the car. No way to know.

We have an early 2013, "A" pack battery, but the range "loss" is very minimal, so who knows or cares what the previous owner did, the drive train is solid and well within tolerance/norms.

My 2c.

You do realize that with a CPO car that you still will be implicitly dealing with whatever happened to the car under the previous owner right? If you buy a CPO car and learn the previous owner did a bad paint job on the car, that's now on you.

4 new tires will cost around $1K and I'd be surprised with regen if you need new brakes after just a year or two of driving. Our ICE cars can go 4-5 years between brake pad replacements.

My biggest point about the benefit of buying from a private party has to do with warranty coverage. For a 2015 car, we'd much rather have an extended warranty cover the car until 2023 than buy a CPO car with the warranty running out in 2019 and no way to extend that. If you switch cars prior to 4 years this might not be a big deal but since we keep our cars longer the warranty coverage is a really big deal for us.

In any case the CPO cars are a great purchase options for a used Model S. I just wanted to point out that there are tangible benefits on buying a private party car as well. All things being equal, we'd opt to buy from a private party solely on the account of a private party car purchase having much longer warranty coverage.

Whether you buy CPO or from a private party, do your due diligence and go over the car carefully.

- - - Updated - - -

33 cars removed from the site.....WHAT IS HAPPENING?!!!

Wish they would stop this game of musical chairs with the cars. Potential buyers may have exacting exterior color, seat color, and option package preferences. It is silly to reduce the inventory so a customer may no longer be able to find the car they need because it is now "hidden." I guess all the more reason to visit a local Tesla store to check the inventory but it is silly to have to go to a Tesla store to look at the inventory when it should be on their Web site...