Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So annoying that newer P85D's dont have the plus suspension. $107K it should.

Model S P85D 090020 | Tesla Motors

I actually prefer the P85D exactly the way it is. Few are going to buy a 5,000lb+ car that seats 5+2 for extreme cornering maneuvers or track racing. We want a car that is comfortable and super fast and the P85D fits that bill perfectly and many other potential customers might feel the same way. We recently had a P85D with 19" wheels for an extended drive and the driving experience was absolutely perfect. There's nothing we'd personally want to see changed in how well it drove and handled.

So annoying that newer P85D's dont have the plus suspension. $107K it should.

Model S P85D 090020 | Tesla Motors

I actually prefer the P85D exactly the way it is. Few are going to buy a 5,000lb+ car that seats 5+2 for extreme cornering maneuvers or track racing. We want a car that is comfortable and super fast and the P85D fits that bill perfectly and many other potential customers might feel the same way. We recently had a P85D with 19" wheels for an extended drive and the driving experience was absolutely perfect. There's nothing we'd personally want to see changed in how well it drove and handled.

That's exactly why Tesla should offer a P85D+ (or even a P85 and a P85+ again!!!)

That's exactly why Tesla should offer a P85D+ (or even a P85 and a P85+ again!!!)

So the funny thing is that some service staff say that all P85D's come with the + suspension. So I am curious Hank, do you know what exactly it means when your site says under a cars options "Performance Plus" or "No performance Plus package"?.....does no mean no plus suspension or no + staggered wheels?

It's pretty annoying that there's so much confusion between Tesla employees.

So the funny thing is that some service staff say that all P85D's come with the + suspension. So I am curious Hank, do you know what exactly it means when your site says under a cars options "Performance Plus" or "No performance Plus package"?.....does no mean no plus suspension or no + staggered wheels?

It's pretty annoying that there's so much confusion between Tesla employees.

"Performance Plus" means P85+.

Is there a log anywhere that has the various old pricing schemes for the CPOs? I am curious what the dual chargers were optioned out at in the early days (2012/early 2013 models).

Way way back, the HPWC and Dual chargers were offered as a factory $3000 option/bundle.

Then they briefly broke them out as two separate $1500 options.

Then removed the HPWC from the ordering page (sold as accessory only).

Then shortly after that they removed the dual chargers from the ordering, and can only be bought as a $2000 accessory (although it may be possible to order this if you call them, I'm not sure about this part).

Thanks much Hank, you are a tremendous resource to this community!

For anybody who has gone through with a CPO purchase, can you tell me 1) are there additional fees beyond the stated price to close the deal (like the $1200 destination/doc fee they tack on for new car purchases)? and 2) Does tesla include a mobile charge connector with CPO purchases, or must a buyer add on the $650 option from the Tesla Accessory store if they want it? Have any of you had any luck negotiating these little items, or is it all quite non-negotiate as everything else with Tesla seems to be?

Cheers!

Thanks much Hank, you are a tremendous resource to this community!

For anybody who has gone through with a CPO purchase, can you tell me 1) are there additional fees beyond the stated price to close the deal (like the $1200 destination/doc fee they tack on for new car purchases)? and 2) Does tesla include a mobile charge connector with CPO purchases, or must a buyer add on the $650 option from the Tesla Accessory store if they want it? Have any of you had any luck negotiating these little items, or is it all quite non-negotiate as everything else with Tesla seems to be?

Cheers!

You're welcome!!

I didn't buy a CPO car, but I did buy an Inventory car in 2014. It came with a UMC, and I would be very, very, surprised if a UMC isn't included in every CPO purchase -- how would you otherwise be able to charge the car when you got home (or anywhere else except a supercharger)?? Also, I had an $1,170 doc fee AND a $700 transportation fee. None of that was negotiable. I even had to pay $250 more for the parcel shelf which became standard about 2 weeks after I got my car. But none of that really mattered in the end, because I got a really good discount off of new and I love my P85+!!!

Edit to add: There have been a few stories of people negotiating $1000 to $2000 off of CPO prices near the end of the quarter. YMMV.

The CPO cars do not charge a doc fee and may charge a $500,$1k,$1.5k delivery fee depending on how far they have to be shipped. I paid $0 above sticker + government fees when I bought mine since I picked up at the Service Center that had the car.

All cars bought from Tesla come with the UMC.

The CPO cars do not charge a doc fee and may charge a $500,$1k,$1.5k delivery fee depending on how far they have to be shipped. I paid $0 above sticker + government fees when I bought mine since I picked up at the Service Center that had the car.

A little off topic from your post. But something that made me pause when almost hitting the buy button. My bank booked out a 2014 P85D. CPO price was $105. Bank said it was only worth $83K and that is what they would loan. I have bought all my Tesla's through them so I was stunned but they said that they have been burned with a few people defaulting on their loans and losing money trying to sell used Tesla's. There are also several used car dealers in my area that wont sell them because they are hard to off load.

Value

MSRP Wholesale Retail Trade-In Private Party Auction CPO
Base $105,670 $77,343 $78,554 $74,984 $76,372 $76,704 $0
Adjusted $105,670 $79,281 $80,571 $74,984 $76,372 $76,704 $0

Had a very fortunate experience last week at the Tesla factory. Won't go into too much detail in case corporate thinks this is a bad idea and forbids this in the future. I wanted to see the pre-CPO cars after trade in but before reconditioning. I wanted to see how the paint, body and interiors held up after coming back in from the wild. All I have ever seen are new cars, parking lot cars, freeway cars etc. I wanted to see the orphaned pre-owned cars that were trade-ins. I figured these would be the most motley.

A wonderful Tesla employee provided me with the opportunity to walk the lot with her and answer questions. I otherwise could not gain access to the area I believe. The lot had about 25 cars. Each car had been inspected with blue painter's tape to designate flaws in paint, windshield, pano roof, bumper etc. even the smallest of rock chips, dings etc had blue take to tag it. The cars were all locked but I look closely at the interiors. Regardless of age (I looked at vins) or miles (I had no idea of each car's mileage) all the seats and interiors looked really good with the exception of a grey seat that looked dirty but not worn. Black appeared to hold up best. Almost all the 21" rim cars had curb rash (passenger side front rim mostly) and the paint armor lines were really obvious on the cars that had it as the cars were all dirty from sitting. All the cars I saw were CA vehicles with one WA.

Off near the area where I assume the do the reconditioning was a huge dumpster full of mostly 21" rims with a few bumper covers as well. My guess is that any rim with damage probably gets pulled off and recycled. Same with the bumbers. Further past this dumpster were several dozen aluminum bodies behind a chain link fence. I couldn't get much closer but I think I saw both X and S unpainted aluminum frames and bodies. These were all kinda' stacked up like you'd see in a salvage yard. My guess is these were either test runs for the X production line or S bodies that didn't pass inspection and went back to the yard for recycling without going any further.

Back on the lot there was also an X back there under cover. It was assumed it was a prototype. Another dozen or so S's were under covers (that outdoor cover is really nice FYI) with painted labels like "body repair demonstrator". Many of these cars are going to be reconditioned and then they will be housed at a tesla used car lot in Antioch. Interested buyers will be able to go and look over, test drive and purchase directly from the lots. Prices will be fixed like all things tesla. That's the idea I was told and that's public information.

My final impressions are. This is a company that is working very hard to do everything right. Quality matters as does reputation and customer experience. I found a white one I was interested in and asked "so, if I wanted this one and was willing to take it in 'as is' condition, would Tesla sell it to me at a discount?" The answer was (paraphrasing) "no, we want to sell the best product possible regardless of new or CPO. Every car goes through the reconditioning process". Impressive.

Finally, the parking lot is overflowing with employee cars. There were no spots to park and I had to park in a non designated spot like many of the employees do. This is a good sign and indicates to me they are running full steam ahead. Sorry, no pics or other details I can provide (only thing I was asked not to do was take pics) but I wanted to share with anyone considering a CPO that comes out of the Fremont factory my impressions. I'm convinced now I'll be doing CPO out of N Cal.

Had a very fortunate experience last week at the Tesla factory. Won't go into too much detail in case corporate thinks this is a bad idea and forbids this in the future. I wanted to see the pre-CPO cars after trade in but before reconditioning. I wanted to see how the paint, body and interiors held up after coming back in from the wild. All I have ever seen are new cars, parking lot cars, freeway cars etc. I wanted to see the orphaned pre-owned cars that were trade-ins. I figured these would be the most motley.

A wonderful Tesla employee provided me with the opportunity to walk the lot with her and answer questions. I otherwise could not gain access to the area I believe. The lot had about 25 cars. Each car had been inspected with blue painter's tape to designate flaws in paint, windshield, pano roof, bumper etc. even the smallest of rock chips, dings etc had blue take to tag it. The cars were all locked but I look closely at the interiors. Regardless of age (I looked at vins) or miles (I had no idea of each car's mileage) all the seats and interiors looked really good with the exception of a grey seat that looked dirty but not worn. Black appeared to hold up best. Almost all the 21" rim cars had curb rash (passenger side front rim mostly) and the paint armor lines were really obvious on the cars that had it as the cars were all dirty from sitting. All the cars I saw were CA vehicles with one WA.

Off near the area where I assume the do the reconditioning was a huge dumpster full of mostly 21" rims with a few bumper covers as well. My guess is that any rim with damage probably gets pulled off and recycled. Same with the bumbers. Further past this dumpster were several dozen aluminum bodies behind a chain link fence. I couldn't get much closer but I think I saw both X and S unpainted aluminum frames and bodies. These were all kinda' stacked up like you'd see in a salvage yard. My guess is these were either test runs for the X production line or S bodies that didn't pass inspection and went back to the yard for recycling without going any further.

Back on the lot there was also an X back there under cover. It was assumed it was a prototype. Another dozen or so S's were under covers (that outdoor cover is really nice FYI) with painted labels like "body repair demonstrator". Many of these cars are going to be reconditioned and then they will be housed at a tesla used car lot in Antioch. Interested buyers will be able to go and look over, test drive and purchase directly from the lots. Prices will be fixed like all things tesla. That's the idea I was told and that's public information.

My final impressions are. This is a company that is working very hard to do everything right. Quality matters as does reputation and customer experience. I found a white one I was interested in and asked "so, if I wanted this one and was willing to take it in 'as is' condition, would Tesla sell it to me at a discount?" The answer was (paraphrasing) "no, we want to sell the best product possible regardless of new or CPO. Every car goes through the reconditioning process". Impressive.

Finally, the parking lot is overflowing with employee cars. There were no spots to park and I had to park in a non designated spot like many of the employees do. This is a good sign and indicates to me they are running full steam ahead. Sorry, no pics or other details I can provide (only thing I was asked not to do was take pics) but I wanted to share with anyone considering a CPO that comes out of the Fremont factory my impressions. I'm convinced now I'll be doing CPO out of N Cal.
Lots of great info, thank you. It makes me think I should go CPO instead of the eBay/craigslist route.

I agree. It's interesting and odd that the private sale cars are usually priced higher than CPO as if CPO was inferior to private sale. With private sales the warranty is always less unless they bought the extended (seldom see that) and I think the cars are in worse off shape since the CPO cars get true replacement parts for cosmetic reasons and mechanical repairs and replacements due to defects. Each of the cars I saw had the fogged up tail lights. I was told "oh, we replace all these with the newer ones that are more water resistant". Imagine asking a private seller to do that before you'll take delivery.... All things being the same, I now see the average private sale car as inferior to the average CPO and the price delta is at least the cost of the extended warranty ($4k I think) if not more due to what I saw last week.

Private cars are most likely more because people owe more on them.
very true. No one wants to sell a car they are underwater on and have to make up the difference. Just wish I knew what the trade in values were on the cars I saw. I was told they are expecting a wave of lease returns and buy back guarantee cars in the near future along with the S that are X trade-ins. I believe we will see some impressive price reductions soon especially on the 60, P85 and P85+(although it was acknowledged that these prices were recently reduced heavily). Not so much on the 85 as that seems to be the most desirable for the CPO buyer.

I spoke with my local Tesla salesman and he said he no longer has access to CPOs before they go up on the website. Anyone else hearing this?

Somewhat, that trend seems to be disappearing. Tesla is also hiring a person in each state or region that is going to be the go to person for CPO sales. Hank's site really is your best bet at this point.

Last edited: