Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not everyone can get the full benefit of $7500 federal tax credit. I make okay salary, but I have 2 dependents, a few property taxes, and installed Solar panels this year (30% tax credit). With all the tax credits I will get, I won't be able to take full advantage of $7500.
I started looking for new or demo MS, but learned if I get a used and factor in the discounts, it's better for me. It's all depends on our financial situation.

Not everyone can get the full benefit of $7500 federal tax credit. I make okay salary, but I have 2 dependents, a few property taxes, and installed Solar panels this year (30% tax credit). With all the tax credits I will get, I won't be able to take full advantage of $7500.
I started looking for new or demo MS, but learned if I get a used and factor in the discounts, it's better for me. It's all depends on our financial situation.
Your situation is probably more the exception to the norm. Maybe slide your purchase into 2016 since you have the solar credit this year (congrats to you on that very smart move)? That's just a sneeze away... I think most buyers of new and CPO can probably take the full $7500 federal deduction and Tesla needs to price based on the factors of the majority of their current buyer population and how they make their decisions. I would think Model lll buyers that will shift with more folks paying fewer taxes and not maximizing the tax benefit, if it even exists by that time. It'd be smart for them to outright drop the fuzzy math of "after tax incentive" and "gas savings". I really dislike that angle, feels like the old "what do you mean you can't afford this? You cannot afford NOT to buy this..." Used car sales approach.

The federal tax credit can't be claimed on CPO but should be available on most, if not all, inventory models.
yes, maybe I can better phrase that. Most Potential Buyers of used/CPO will qualify for the $7500 tax credit if they elect to purchase a new or inventory vehicle. That's part of their decision matrix, not to imply that used/CPO buyers will get any tax subsidy. That is an exception in CO I understand assuming the used was never registered in CO a $6k new/used/CPO state tax break exists. MorrisonHiker can probably provide some confirmation assuming he/she lives in beautiful Morrison Co (we lived in Parker Co 1995-2002).

That is an exception in CO I understand assuming the used was never registered in CO a $6k new/used/CPO state tax break exists. MorrisonHiker can probably provide some confirmation assuming he/she lives in beautiful Morrison Co (we lived in Parker Co 1995-2002).

That is correct about the $6000 state tax credit. I'm currently exploring my options and don't know if I'll be purchasing a new X, a new S or an inventory S...but no matter the choice I should be eligible for $13500 in tax credits.

Yes, beautiful Morrison, Colorado. I think I have one of the best possible views of Red Rocks. [emoji41]

Your situation is probably more the exception to the norm. Maybe slide your purchase into 2016 since you have the solar credit this year (congrats to you on that very smart move)? That's just a sneeze away... I think most buyers of new and CPO can probably take the full $7500 federal deduction and Tesla needs to price based on the factors of the majority of their current buyer population and how they make their decisions. I would think Model lll buyers that will shift with more folks paying fewer taxes and not maximizing the tax benefit, if it even exists by that time. It'd be smart for them to outright drop the fuzzy math of "after tax incentive" and "gas savings". I really dislike that angle, feels like the old "what do you mean you can't afford this? You cannot afford NOT to buy this..." Used car sales approach.

Nope, I'm in the same position as him minus the children. Haven't paid federal taxes for the past 3 years due to the solar and geothermal HVAC I installed. At my rate of recovery the earliest I would be eligible for the $7,500 EV credit would be 2017. Personally I'd rather let others take the huge depreciation hit that we've seen every time something new gets released.

I wish it was possible to purchase one of the Canadian ones and bring back to Texas. $52K US for this guy (S85, Pano, Tech Pkg): http://www.teslamotors.com/en_CA/models/preowned/P27819 with only 28K miles is a TOTAL STEAL. A buddy of mine put down a payment on a different Canadian one on Friday but it turns out there are some weird tax issues so they won't bring it in.

Hmm interesting observation. There's a P85+ in Vancouver for $66K USD and I think that's a total steal as well! Why is it that Canadian Teslas are considerably cheaper?

Website suggestion:

Someone build something that tracks the sale prices of CPO's, mileage, options, battery etc so we can see some trend analysis on where prices are going? Obviously over time the older the car the lower the price but I'm really interested in what the prices were in April compared to what they are now in September.

Guess I just haven't been watching enough yet to know what a good deal is.

I think I'll wait for a D (or potentially buy new later on)

Website suggestion:

Someone build something that tracks the sale prices of CPO's, mileage, options, battery etc so we can see some trend analysis on where prices are going? Obviously over time the older the car the lower the price but I'm really interested in what the prices were in April compared to what they are now in September.

Guess I just haven't been watching enough yet to know what a good deal is.

I think I'll wait for a D (or potentially buy new later on)

I'm not sure if there is some sarcasm there, or just not knowing, but the main discussion in this thread is about the CPO consolidator which includes lots of great statistics for a small fee. Here is a link to a separate thread with support for his site, and includes links to it on the first posts.

EV-CPO.com CPO Consolidator support thread

This is going to take some time, since each country has it's own website and native language, although the technology looks the same under the covers.

Can people order/buy CPO cars across country borders in the EU, like we can do within the US? Will Tesla ship CPO cars like that to other countries? Since each country only has a handful (6 or less usually) CPO cars available in the entire country, I'm not sure EV-CPO can help that much, especially if a buyer can't buy from outside their country.

Can people order/buy CPO cars across country borders in the EU, like we can do within the US? Will Tesla ship CPO cars like that to other countries? Since each country only has a handful (6 or less usually) CPO cars available in the entire country, I'm not sure EV-CPO can help that much, especially if a buyer can't buy from outside their country.

Indeed, the offer is quite low at the moment.
I know that for inventory cars, you can buy them from other EU countries and import them (this is without Norway and Switzerland). Delivery cost can then vary based on location. I imagine that for CPO cars they will use the same rules, but can't be sure right now.