Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S UMC cut open and modified to J1772

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
a
Tony this is really impressive! But I'm wondering...Why are you changing the connector?

Actually, that's question I had as well. Why convert the UMC when the adapter is available. Tony, aren't you restricting your options when you're on the road?

- - - Updated - - -

I can answer for him, he has a RAV4EV, and wants a portable solution to charge at 40A on the road (think RV Parks), the Model S UMC with a J-1772 connector is a way to get that done, and he can use all of the different adapters Tesla has availble.

FYI: a the RAV4EV has an onboard 10KW charger, same as the Model S (Tesla makes it, in fact)

OK. My fault for assuming it was for the Model S.

I ordered a couple Tesla UMC's and had them Fedex'd overnight. Here's what showed up, times 2:

null_zpsc31dbb11.jpg

Those pins are 31mm deep:

null_zps03c5639d.jpg

So I know the connector on the right connects to the car. Is the one on the left what connects to the adapter that plugs in the wall? Haven't seen that before.

Or I guess that's what plugs into the public charging station? Is that cable for both public charging stations and the UMC?

The bottom Mennekes plug goes in the car. The receptacle on the Model S should have a small notch on the center top that allows the Supercharger plug to go in, but not allow a Supercharger plug to go in generic Mennekes receptacle on the competitor's cars.

The top plug is what would go into the European 3 phase plug so that it can be plugged into the wall.

- - - Updated - - -

Happen to get any red adapters with these as well ? Sell them to us in Europe.. :)

I did also order the NEMA adaptors for the North American market, and they were correct. I suspect I wasn't the only person who got the wrong UMC. These are delivered to Tesla from the vendor in boxes that hold four UMC's each.

Is someone knows the relay reference used in the Model S UMC ? I actually build my own wall box, 240V single phase 32A (not based on open EVSE but on my own board because I will have more functions), and I am curious to know which relay they use.
I will probably use this one: T92P11D22-12
datasheet is here :
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1717913.pdf

Another question, in the Tesla Wallbox, do they integrate a breaker and a ground fault breaker (GFCI?) or just the relay, and breaker and ground fault breaker must be installed before ?

Another question, in the Tesla Wallbox, do they integrate a breaker and a ground fault breaker (GFCI?) or just the relay, and breaker and ground fault breaker must be installed before ?

Just like the UMC the GFCI is in the HPWC. From the installation manual:

The High Power Wall Connector has a ground monitoring circuit that continuously checks for the presence of a safe ground connection and automatically recovers from faults. Manual testing and resetting is not required.
Temporary problems such as ground faults or utility power surges are overcome automatically. If a GFCI fault occurs that interrupts charging, the High Power Wall Connector automatically tries to clear the fault and re-attempt charging.

I was talking about a GFCI breaker with manual rearmament, but if they are able to automatically try to clear the fault they cannot have a manual GFCI breaker.
As openEVSE board, they probably just have a current transformer (CT) to measure ground fault. Somewhere I seen a photo of the inside of the UMC,but I don't remember if I seen a CT ?

And in the HPWC, do they integrate an overcurrent breaker ?