Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y charging concern

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone, It’s been 1 week owning my new 2023 Model Y in Canada .

I’m in love what this car offers at the moment. Feels luxury and simplicity together. I’ve got all new interior for better sound system and they removed ultrasonic sensors and waiting for that software update.

I have question for all of you about range and charging. Right now in canada temperatures stays between -10 to 0. Range wise I’m only getting around 300-350 km of range. Is this what we can expect in this temperature?

Another question is about changing. I live in apartment and thought be supercharge for while until my building set my charger for me. I’ve been through superchargers and charging my whole battery can cost me around 40-45 CAD which is more than GAS for range I’m getting. Also there are other options CCS(Car is enabled) upto 350 kw which is way cheaper then tesla supercharger and 50kw chademo to tesla available everywhere. I’ve ordered CCS connector for my car and I don’t when I will receive that. I also would like to know how long it takes to ship. How good is to use those as cheaper charging options?. Keep in mind I will use this once a week or twice. All the answers will be appreciated.

Attachments

• 32CD3F7F-6500-4B88-9154-26B04D8D57C7.jpeg
    32CD3F7F-6500-4B88-9154-26B04D8D57C7.jpeg
    483.4 KB · Views: 221
Range wise I’m only getting around 300-350 km of range. Is this what we can expect in this temperature?
Seems about right. You did not state what tires you are using (winter tires increase consumption.) Short trips use more energy from the battery per km. Since you only use the Supercharger network or CCS network to charge you are not currently able to precondition the Tesla Model Y while plugged in to warm the passenger cabin and warm the battery as needed.

Reactions: brkaus
One thing to consider, consistent super charging versus using slower speed charging can deteriorate your battery more quickly.

I am absolutely not clicking on some youtube video with a clickbait thread title, but that certainly should not be used as some sort of proof that consistent supercharging will somehow make a model 3 battery "die".

I am absolutely not clicking on some youtube video with a clickbait thread title, but that certainly should not be used as some sort of proof that consistent supercharging will somehow make a model 3 battery "die".
Certainly n=1 doesn't prove it.
But Tesla told him that was likely the reason. Cell voltages were too variable across the pack giving warnings.
He was supercharging an average of 3x per day being an Uber/Lift driver and had no access to home charging.
Cost $8K for a brand new battery with 5yr warranty and he seems happy with the refreshed car and restored range the new battery has brought.

Another question is about changing. I live in apartment and thought be supercharge for while until my building set my charger for me. I’ve been through superchargers and charging my whole battery can cost me around 40-45 CAD which is more than GAS for range I’m getting.
That seems excessive. When I drove up to BC, I charged at a supercharger in richmond. I charged from like 13% to 90%, and it only costed $21 Canadian. The top rate was $1.00/minute, but I only spent 2 minutes at that rate.

@Ronika I would suggest downloading PlugShare application and explore the Level 2 chargers around you. Very often you may find free Level 2 chargers or if not free, they are usually much cheaper per kWh compared to fast chargers. So maybe you ll be able to find a good location within a walking distance from the place where you live/work and use it regularly.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Seems about right. You did not state what tires you are using (winter tires increase consumption.) Short trips use more energy from the battery per km. Since you only use the Supercharger network or CCS network to charge you are not currently able to precondition the Tesla Model Y while plugged in to warm the passenger cabin and warm the battery as needed.
I can precondition my car by putting my nearest tesla supercharger in the navigation. What are your thoughts?

Hello Everyone, It’s been 1 week owning my new 2023 Model Y in Canada .

I’m in love what this car offers at the moment. Feels luxury and simplicity together. I’ve got all new interior for better sound system and they removed ultrasonic sensors and waiting for that software update.

I have question for all of you about range and charging. Right now in canada temperatures stays between -10 to 0. Range wise I’m only getting around 300-350 km of range. Is this what we can expect in this temperature?

Another question is about changing. I live in apartment and thought be supercharge for while until my building set my charger for me. I’ve been through superchargers and charging my whole battery can cost me around 40-45 CAD which is more than GAS for range I’m getting. Also there are other options CCS(Car is enabled) upto 350 kw which is way cheaper then tesla supercharger and 50kw chademo to tesla available everywhere. I’ve ordered CCS connector for my car and I don’t when I will receive that. I also would like to know how long it takes to ship. How good is to use those as cheaper charging options?. Keep in mind I will use this once a week or twice. All the answers will be appreciated.
Actually getting 300km-350km or that's what the range displays?

I'm in northern Ontario, it's cold so id say similar temperature. I do have a L2 charger at home, charge to 80% and leave it plugged in to condition car in the morning. My MYLR says about 419km on an 80% charge. If the vehicle has to warm your battery and climate the inside without being plugged you'll definitely see a reduction in distance you can drive from the power being used to do that.

I agree $45 seems like a lot for a charge - coming back from Southern Ontario to Northern Ontario the biggest charge I had was I think $26 (you haven't said what you are charging up to and how low you are when you charge it) You should also take a look at the charger information in the vehicle so you can see what they are charging at that supercharger based on the various tiers. There is definitely a huge range in Canada it seems and sadly I haven't seen anywhere that you can actually view what the rates are in advance of using the supercharger (probably cause in most cases, at least in my area, it really doesn't matter because you wont make it to the next city that has superchargers without charging lol)

Certainly n=1 doesn't prove it.
But Tesla told him that was likely the reason. Cell voltages were too variable across the pack giving warnings.
He was supercharging an average of 3x per day being an Uber/Lift driver and had no access to home charging.
Cost $8K for a brand new battery with 5yr warranty and he seems happy with the refreshed car and restored range the new battery has brought.
That’s not the case for me. I charge like once in a week. At superchargers. Also what I think is tesla is forcing us to use superchargers more then any other network by saying they can effect battery life: what my thought about charging is, when car like volkswagen polo can take 150kw CCS then why not tesla?

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Actually getting 300km-350km or that's what the range displays?

I'm in northern Ontario, it's cold so id say similar temperature. I do have a L2 charger at home, charge to 80% and leave it plugged in to condition car in the morning. My MYLR says about 419km on an 80% charge. If the vehicle has to warm your battery and climate the inside without being plugged you'll definitely see a reduction in distance you can drive from the power being used to do that.

I agree $45 seems like a lot for a charge - coming back from Southern Ontario to Northern Ontario the biggest charge I had was I think $26 (you haven't said what you are charging up to and how low you are when you charge it) You should also take a look at the charger information in the vehicle so you can see what they are charging at that supercharger based on the various tiers. There is definitely a huge range in Canada it seems and sadly I haven't seen anywhere that you can actually view what the rates are in advance of using the supercharger (probably cause in most cases, at least in my area, it really doesn't matter because you wont make it to the next city that has superchargers without charging lol)
I agree. If car is hot or you are driving for long you will definitely get more range. I’ve only charged it once from 7-100% and cost me 43$. Display was showing 531kms of range but actual range was around 350. My apartment is getting level 2 charger soon so after that I might be able to find out more. Also I’m keeping my speed around 115km/hr. Please share what can be great driving speed to get more range.

@Ronika I would suggest downloading PlugShare application and explore the Level 2 chargers around you. Very often you may find free Level 2 chargers or if not free, they are usually much cheaper per kWh compared to fast chargers. So maybe you ll be able to find a good location within a walking distance from the place where you live/work and use it regularly.
I do have one nearby like 400m. I use that sometimes but takes a long time to charge. I might use it or might not.