Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s appalling.
The article is riddled with errors too here’s the glaring one….

“Model 3 Standard Range Plus which offers a driving range in excess of 500km thanks to a 60kWh battery”

Im somewhat sceptical of the 200km range. What is it? WLTP, EPA ?!?!

Geez, worse than the MG! I guess it’s ok if all you’re doing is dropping the kids to school and picking up the groceries, but anyway highway drive will be a relatively short one!
Plenty of people never go on a highway. I also know plenty of people looking for a city car but cannot handle the bland (their words not mine) tesla interiors. I like the minimalist look. Most of these people also have no interest in acceleration times. In short they seek a small city car that feels luxurious as they percieve it.
Every EV sale is one less petrol car on trhe road.

I'm sure mazda offer something different but if you want that short range city car you can get an i3, honda-e , mini electric etc, hell this is priced similar to the lexus ev.

Dont know about there but in NZ I suspect it exists (at $75k) so they can push peopel to their $45k hybrid version which they also claim is 'electric'.

And how the BEV can cost $30k more I dont know.

I'm sure mazda offer something different but if you want that short range city car you can get an i3, honda-e , mini electric etc, hell this is priced similar to the lexus ev.

Dont know about there but in NZ I suspect it exists (at $75k) so they can push peopel to their $45k hybrid version which they also claim is 'electric'.

And how the BEV can cost $30k more I dont know.
Choices is what is needed. Its then more about which ev rather than should I buy an ev.

Continuing the discussion as to potential alternatives to Model Y… according to this NRMA review, the Mazda MX-30 Electric certainly isn’t.

Mazda have really been asleep if they think $65k + ORC for a car with 200km range, suicide doors and compromised interior space can compete.

That’s a nope.

Seriously?

What's with the half-baked retrofitted I3 door? I thought we were done with those.
Tries to compete with Model 3? Hardly.

This car is a obviously a mistake. Or a late April's fool. This can't be what Mazda wants people to buy?

Hold-up a minute. Is this Mazda the first innovative entry into the EV market for the company? I'm sorry, but who was the genious behind the design?

It's not a Bentley or a Rolls with suicide doors. Because it just isn't. So why try?
It's not a full-sized suicide door - making it impossible to step in and out without folding the front seats. Hence mom & dad have to step out of the car to fit the kids.
It's not even doing half the distance of a M3.
It's not even close to same efficiency.
It takes 50% longer to charge than a M3

AT THE SAME PRICE?

Let me rephrase that.

AT THE SAME PRICE???

Do they think we are stupid?

This actually made my day. I will never look the same at a Mazda after this. Ever.
I used to have this thing against French cars. Now Mazda is on par with them.

Lol, I'll be laughing the rest of the way home today.

I’m guessing that Mazda are at the back of the world queue for batteries, so are likely paying more per KWh than Tesla or even other legacy manufacturers like VW. So they are at a disadvantage. Mazda have also argued that large batteries add weight and reduce efficiency.
That makes the poor efficiency of the MX30 even more disappointing.
I don’t hate the rear suicide door as they did a similar design on the now discontinued Mazda RX8.
p.s. Interesting historical factoid was the last day of production of the RX8 was June 22, 2012; which was also the first day of delivery of Model S.

Last edited:
Seriously?

What's with the half-baked retrofitted I3 door? I thought we were done with those.
Tries to compete with Model 3? Hardly.

This car is a obviously a mistake. Or a late April's fool. This can't be what Mazda wants people to buy?
mazda used those doors with the rx8. Litterally impossible to get a child out of a back seat when next to another car as you have to open both doors to access the rear, and then you trap yourself in the triangle that forms. Oh and dont forget to rev the rotary engine after turning it off to avoid flooding it for next time

• Funny
Reactions: Leeroy
Hold-up a minute. Is this Mazda the first innovative entry into the EV market for the company? I'm sorry, but who was the genious behind the design?

It's not a Bentley or a Rolls with suicide doors. Because it just isn't. So why try?
It's not a full-sized suicide door - making it impossible to step in and out without folding the front seats. Hence mom & dad have to step out of the car to fit the kids.
It's not even doing half the distance of a M3.
It's not even close to same efficiency.
It takes 50% longer to charge than a M3

AT THE SAME PRICE?

Let me rephrase that.

AT THE SAME PRICE???

Do they think we are stupid?

This actually made my day. I will never look the same at a Mazda after this. Ever.
I used to have this thing against French cars. Now Mazda is on par with them.

Lol, I'll be laughing the rest of the way home today.
Same value equation can be said about a lot of cars and other goods, but many buyers just dont do research so sales are made. I dont understand why anyone would buy a $150k european guzzler when they could buy a model s for the same price, but they do. The mazda ev doesnt make a lot of sense, but mazda will have done ample research to know how many sales they will achieve at the price point. They would know the percentage of lazy uneducated brand loyal buyers.

It’s worth pointing out that Mazda are a relatively low volume car manufacturer, and don’t have the money to invest in R & D that most others do. Their BEV future exists with a lot of other small Japanese manufacturers - in partnership with Toyota. When Toyota eventually bring BEV models to the world outside of China, you will find that all the smaller Japanese brands suddenly have BEVs too. Note the first, Toyota and Subaru have announced a RAV4-sized vehicle for 2022.

I’d love to see Mazda bring out a BEV MX-5.