Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla not providing 240 plug for mobile adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a buddy just give me a call as he is driving home in his new Model 3. He mentioned to me that the dealer only gave him the 110 cable for his mobile adapter and charged him $40 for the 240 one. Does this sound right? Are they pinching pennies that much these days?

The Mobile charging kit use to come with an assortment of adapters. Most people didn’t use all but one or two. To keep costs down and not be giving people things they’d never need they started equipping kits with the standard 120 outlet adapter and J1772 found on third party L2 EVSEs. We installed a 240v outlet (NEMA 14-50 receptacle) but a lot of people went with the HPWC or maybe didn’t even have home charging as an option. Bizarrely in California a number of homes have their washer/dryers in their garage and can charge their cars using an adapter for that particular receptacle.

Basically it was a decision to cut down on waste of adapters and money.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Earl
The Mobile charging kit use to come with an assortment of adapters. Most people didn’t use all but one or two. To keep costs down and not be giving people things they’d never need they started equipping kits with the standard 120 outlet adapter and J1772 found on third party L2 EVSEs. We installed a 240v outlet (NEMA 14-50 receptacle) but a lot of people went with the HPWC or maybe didn’t even have home charging as an option. Bizarrely in California a number of homes have their washer/dryers in their garage and can charge their cars using an adapter for that particular receptacle.

Basically it was a decision to cut down on waste of adapters and money.

Why don’t they just give option of 5-15 or 14-50. Some will even want 5-20 or 6-50.

So we all get the cost and use part, but options would be nice.

Reactions: KenC
Yup. Changed a while ago now.

Totally off topic but I noticed this in your info line: "Noise suppression: TuxMat Trunk/Frunk, Maxpider Cabin, Sun Shade Front & Back, RPM Noise Gasket, DIY Door Gaskets" - Do they all reduce noise and which one do you think did the most good? How much reduction were you able to achieve? How much are these accessories?

Totally off topic but I noticed this in your info line: "Noise suppression: TuxMat Trunk/Frunk, Maxpider Cabin, Sun Shade Front & Back, RPM Noise Gasket, DIY Door Gaskets" - Do they all reduce noise and which one do you think did the most good? How much reduction were you able to achieve? How much are these accessories?
That’s not “sorta” off topic. Lol

• Funny
Reactions: StellarRat
The object is to streamline everything. This way they put the same mobile charging kit in everyones car, no extra thought to what to pull off the shelf. Besides if the car doesn’t get sold to the person who wanted a 14-50, then what?

Anyone charging on the road at a L2 charger will need the J1772. Anyone in the US with a garage with electricity in it most likely has a 120v outlet. Years ago we had a condo unit which came with a finished garage. Had a 120v outlet to run a vacuum or whatever. Later bought a house with the option during initial purchase of paying for a 240v one. We passed at the time but our garages came standard with I think with 2 separate 120 outlets in the single car garage and 3 separate 120 outlets in the double garage. It may be slow charging but there are people who don’t drive far each day. And it gets you enough charge to charge elsewhere many times. Plus most older homes unless remodeled will only have a 120. It’s really a more universal outlet, even on the outside of homes. With the advent of EVs a 240 in the garage is becoming a desirable upgrade but far more homes, condos, apts are without one.

How difficult is it for people to order the adapter they need on line really? Everyone who plans to charge at home should be reviewing how they want to do it and getting set up. For those that don’t have much of a wait for their car, the 120 adapter will get them through until their 240 or HPWC gets installed. Seems like a well thought out change to me.

Reactions: Magnets!
Lol. Wow. Ok seems like a pretty basic thing to leave out of an electric vehicle.

Actually, Tesla is just moving towards industry standard practice, but they are still better.

All other EVs just give you a 12A capable, 120V EVSE for a regular household plug. Their portable EVSEs are not capable of charging at any higher rate, so you are pretty much forced to buy a $500 wall mount EVSE.

Tesla gives you a very capable portable EVSE that, with the correct $35 adapter, can be your primary charging equipment. And also used for destination charging. And it makes adapters for six different plug types.

Since many people never used their NEMA 14-50 adapter, it made sense for Tesla to stop wasting everyone's money and stop giving them something they don't need.

Actually, Tesla is just moving towards industry standard practice, but they are still better.

All other EVs just give you a 12A capable, 120V EVSE for a regular household plug. Their portable EVSEs are not capable of charging at any higher rate, so you are pretty much forced to buy a $500 wall mount EVSE.

This is true for many EVs, but there's a slow movement toward supporting 240v operation in non-Tesla standard EVSEs. Most notably, the top-trim Nissan Leaf now ships with a 240v EVSE that comes with an adapter for use on 120v outlets, so it's both a Level 1 and a Level 2 EVSE, similar to Tesla's. The EVSE delivered with the Gen2 Chevy Volt (and I'm guessing also the Bolt) is officially a 120v unit, but at least a couple of years ago, people found that its components were all capable of handling 240v. Building a hackish adapter enables it to operate at 240v, although with only 12A. I never tried that with my Volt, and as it's not officially supported, it doesn't count as an official feature, but it is worth noting because it'd be really easy for GM to switch the plug on the unit if they wanted to provide (slow) Level 2 charging for the Bolt using its stock EVSE. I think I heard that the Audi e-Tron and/or Jaguar iPace were also shipping with 240v EVSEs, but I'm not positive of that.