Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla offering insurance next month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Geico premium went up 40% over the last two years. No accidents or claims.

Or did it go up even more since the value of my car dropped at the same time? I don't love insurance companies.

Not just car insurance. Health insurance, homeowners insurance, pet insurance, every type of insurance that comes to mind just goes up unless you change coverage amounts. It’s just the insurance business. Tesla insurance won’t be any different in the long run once the new smell goes away. Are they going to run it as a non-profit?
Or will they cap/minimize their profits to provide a “subsidized” rate? If so, as a TSLA investor, I am 100% opposed to it.

• Disagree
Reactions: GreenT
Not just car insurance. Health insurance, homeowners insurance, pet insurance, every type of insurance that comes to mind just goes up unless you change coverage amounts. It’s just the insurance business. Tesla insurance won’t be any different in the long run once the new smell goes away. Are they going to run it as a non-profit?
Or will they cap/minimize their profits to provide a “subsidized” rate? If so, as a TSLA investor, I am 100% opposed to it.
You really need to shop around every year for insurance. Insurance rates are very random. Companies will raise rates for existing customers just because they can. They each have secret algorithms they use to establish rates and these produce different results.
Some insurance companies are afraid of Teslas because they don't understand them. Tesla understands the cars and has some control over the repair process so should produce more accurate risk estimates. (And reliable profit)

Reactions: neroden
Elon eventually comes through on his promises. He is often overly ambitious on the timeline.
Patience, grasshopper.

No. This has to stop. When you say something that's not true it's a lie. I'm sick and tired of living in a world where you can just lie without recourse about anything and everything and no one seems to care. It's completely and totally out of hand and despite the worst offender being POTUS, it doesn't excuse the behavior for anyone else.

Jeff

No. This has to stop. When you say something that's not true it's a lie. I'm sick and tired of living in a world where you can just lie without recourse about anything and everything and no one seems to care. It's completely and totally out of hand and despite the worst offender being POTUS, it doesn't excuse the behavior for anyone else.

Jeff
Lies are about facts... things that have happened.
Predictions, promises are about the future... thinks that you want to happen but no way to know if they actually will happen...
Trump lies about everything all the time. He lies about stuff that has happened.
Has Elon lied about things that happened in the past?

Predictions, promises are about the future... thinks that you want to happen but no way to know if they actually will happen...
Trump lies about everything all the time. He lies about stuff that has happened.
Lies are tied to propositions.

If I say, "I'm going to give you your money tomorrow" but I have no intention of doing so, I am LYING even though tomorrow hasn't happened yet.

If I say "in a few months so-and-so will happen," but 1) I have no reason to justify my claim and 2) I want you to believe it, then I am being at best merely DUPLICITOUS.

If I say "this project is do-able," but I have not actually figured out how to do it, I am being DISHONEST.

Don't get hung up on the word "lie" -- "dishonest" covers it all.

If I say, "I'm going to give you your money tomorrow" but I have no intention of doing so, I am LYING even though tomorrow hasn't happened yet.

If I say "in a few months so-and-so will happen," but 1) I have no reason to justify my claim and 2) I want you to believe it, then I am being at best merely DUPLICITOUS.

If I say "this project is do-able," but I have not actually figured out how to do it, I am being DISHONEST.

It doesn't though.

Because he had every intention of doing this. And they're actively taking steps to do so.

In fact less than a month after the original post the company Tesla is working with filed in California regarding the program-

https://electrek.co/2019/05/02/details-of-teslas-new-insurance-program-start-to-leak/

Markel’s State National Insurance Company filed a document with the California Department of Insurance highlighting how they plan to front Tesla’s insurance program

That regulatory crap takes time (and Elon is f'ing terrible at estimating it) doesn't change the fact they've been taking active steps to do exactly the thing Elon said they intended to do.

Jeff

Can we all agree on the following definitions (summarized from well established dictionaries):

Lie - an intentional inaccurate statement meant to deceive or mislead.
*we have no concrete evidence that what he states is ever intended to deceive (although, I guess no one can be certain except for a few of the real justification behind the “420” tweet)

Untruthful - pattern of false statements, diverging from facts or reality.
*we have many documented instances of false statements in the form of wildly optimistic deadlines. Elon likes to shoot himself in the foot with these.

So, by definition, to extent of our observations, one can say Elon is untruthful, but he’s not a liar.

Case closed, hopefully.

Can we all agree on the following definitions (summarized from well established dictionaries):

Lie - an intentional inaccurate statement meant to deceive or mislead.
*we have no concrete evidence that what he states is ever intended to deceive (although, I guess no one can be certain except for a few of the real justification behind the “420” tweet)

Untruthful - pattern of false statements, diverging from facts or reality.
*we have many documented instances of false statements in the form of wildly optimistic deadlines. Elon likes to shoot himself in the foot with these.

So, by definition, to extent of our observations, one can say Elon is untruthful, but he’s not a liar.

Case closed, hopefully.
Aka, the Lewinsky Gambit.

• Funny
Reactions: HankLloydRight