Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Price Reductions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if this was just the M3 I would think it was the fire sale ahead of the the new model. They will be desperate to get rid of any old inventory once the first ship leaves China with the new model on!
I wonder if they will take the same approach that they take to smaller changes i.e. you get what gets allocated to you and you are happy about it!. Somehow I cannot see that working this time around....

Reactions: Rooster6655
if this was just the M3 I would think it was the fire sale ahead of the the new model. They will be desperate to get rid of any old inventory once the first ship leaves China with the new model on!
I wonder if they will take the same approach that they take to smaller changes i.e. you get what gets allocated to you and you are happy about it!. Somehow I cannot see that working this time around....
Who is to say they won't do a refresh of the Y at around the same time?

"Project Juniper" has been mentioned back in March, perhaps it's just not getting as many column inches as "Project Highland", because the 3 is an older platform, so a replacement feels more revolutionary?

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
I'd be surprised if they didn't. Any parts that can be common between the 3 and Y would be refreshed at the same time to keep the number of components as low as possible.
Yup, I would assume a refreshed Y would follow very soon after a 3, if not orchestrated to launch at the same time, simply because you'd want your two mass market models to follow the same design cues as the S/X (since that appears to be the way they're going) at the same time, rather than have one model in the lineup looking incongruent.

Yup, I would assume a refreshed Y would follow very soon after a 3, if not orchestrated to launch at the same time, simply because you'd want your two mass market models to follow the same design cues as the S/X (since that appears to be the way they're going) at the same time, rather than have one model in the lineup looking incongruent.

you'd stagger though to focus demand on one model then bring out the next. I can't see them doing a refresh of the Y in the same year as the 3

you'd stagger though to focus demand on one model then bring out the next. I can't see them doing a refresh of the Y in the same year as the 3
The issue is that if they don’t, they’ll kill the sales of the car that isn’t refreshed because everyone will start waiting for the refreshed model.

Particularly on something like a tesla which is constantly in the mainstream news so people will know about it.

Other manufacturers have to fire sale their existing models to get rid of then in the 6 months leading up to a big refresh and they barley make the mainstream media when they launch a new car let alone a refresh.

The issue is that if they don’t, they’ll kill the sales of the car that isn’t refreshed because everyone will start waiting for the refreshed model.

Particularly on something like a tesla which is constantly in the mainstream news so people will know about it.

Other manufacturers have to fire sale their existing models to get rid of then in the 6 months leading up to a big refresh and they barley make the mainstream media when they launch a new car let alone a refresh.

why? I don’t think I’ve ever seen an ICE manufacturer do that. You want the marketing cycle to yourself to push the new bmw 5 series - tease, walkaround, first drives, reviews etc. You don’t do a 3 series at the same time. They’re aiming at different segments and they are at different stages in their lifecyle.

The Y is much younger than the 3 so potentially a way off a refresh. If the 3 is basically just a new nose then maybe they’ll look to align the ’family appearance’ sooner but if the refresh is just a new nose then meh.

I don't think it's related to any new model coming, I think its more related to the end of quarter discounts to boost numbers. Elon has stated that they will reduce prices to increase demand, he can see daily sales of the cars, so if sales are not reaching a level that matches the inventory they will reduce the prices in whichever region is lacking, from this it looks like the demand is not as high in the UK as it has been relative to the amount of inventory available.

If I was ordering a new one and there was a newer version on the horizon I would definitely be waiting to have others confirm their deliveries first, based on previous events!

It's probably a case of all of the above to varying amounts..

I'm sure some are put off by the lack of parking sensors, others but the prospect of HW4, others by the compeition - all of which dappens demand a little, and then Tesla are making more and more and therefore needing to increasingly stimulate the market and there are only so many levers they can pull.

Reactions: FastLaneJB
Are those with firm orders and waiting on next batch of deliveries still getting the new lower price honoured as Tesla have done in the past?

If so, that’s becoming an ever increasing potential loss of revenue if a large proportion of a quarters worth of deliveries get revalued down just to chase a delivery target.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rooster6655
The 3 and Y will be refreshed at exactly the same time as was the case when they refreshed the interiors a few years ago.

S and X both got refreshed at the same time I believe.
They stopped S and X production at the same time but the X was a year behind the S in restarting production. Theres no way thats going to happen with the 3 and Y, plus there are more factories and higher volumes, so while I understand why you think it, I'm not sure its stricktly comparable

why? I don’t think I’ve ever seen an ICE manufacturer do that. You want the marketing cycle to yourself to push the new bmw 5 series - tease, walkaround, first drives, reviews etc. You don’t do a 3 series at the same time. They’re aiming at different segments and they are at different stages in their lifecyle.

The Y is much younger than the 3 so potentially a way off a refresh. If the 3 is basically just a new nose then maybe they’ll look to align the ’family appearance’ sooner but if the refresh is just a new nose then meh.

The model 3 and Y are basically the same car at a very similar price point. The Y is a 3 that spent too much time at an all you can eat buffet. It makes total sense to drop the refreshes at similar times because they share so many parts, including the parts being refreshed like the headlights and tail lights. It may not happen at the same time, but I’d wager within a quarter or two.

A 3 series and 5 series are completely different cars in different price brackets. Your typical 5 series buyer wouldn’t consider the 3 series because it’s simply not as premium in its finishes.

A much better analogy would be something like a Fiesta and Puma or a 208 and 2008. Given the fiesta is discontinued, it’s probably not the best analogy but the 208/2008 refresh happened basically at the same time.

Reactions: AndrewGR
The model 3 and Y are basically the same car at a very similar price point. The Y is a 3 that spent too much time at an all you can eat buffet. It makes total sense to drop the refreshes at similar times because they share so many parts, including the parts being refreshed like the headlights and tail lights. It may not happen at the same time, but I’d wager within a quarter or two.

A 3 series and 5 series are completely different cars in different price brackets. Your typical 5 series buyer wouldn’t consider the 3 series because it’s simply not as premium in its finishes.

A much better analogy would be something like a Fiesta and Puma or a 208 and 2008. Given the fiesta is discontinued, it’s probably not the best analogy but the 208/2008 refresh happened basically at the same time.
Except they aren't the same...
The point of this 3 refresh is to bring changes to the 3 production line in things you can't see, so it is cheaper to produce and make it like the Y.
It will switch to front and rear castings and a structural battery pack.
At this point they will be the same and they can change easier things like interiors.
Not sure about the exterior front end changes, but that could be to add front cameras for HW4, but they might be quicker to make once the switch is made to castings and structural pack,