Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Product Announcement at noon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going from one model of a car to another of the same brand can be construed as an upgrade.
You have to listen....Tesla does not mind selling as many widgets as they can. Their widgets are called cars. I don't believe for one second that they are going to limit the performance of one car so that it won't interrupt the sales of another one. That would be Ludicrous. That's my point.

You have to listen....Tesla does not mind selling as many widgets as they can. Their widgets are called cars. I don't believe for one second that they are going to limit the performance of one car so that it won't interrupt the sales of another one. That would be Ludicrous. That's my point.
I'll give you another reason to limit the performance. So they can sell another of the same model the following year with better performance. They keep doing it with the Model S by upping it's performance.

You should believe it. Companies are very careful about cannibalizing the sales of higher end ($$$$$) products with lower end ($$) products. I could see Tesla offering a really high performance vehicle on a 3 platform. But the price would be firmly in S/X territory.

Reactions: Canuck
I thought for sure you're off your rocker, I was going to have some cocky comment like "as an Electrical Engineer I should know..." but damn, after Googling around, you're right.

Learned something new...
And I, a retired scientist, wondered about the correct usage for my writing, some years ago, and looked it up. I was surprised to learn that unit names — even those based on proper names — are lower case. But it is easy to remember because it still seems a bit odd to me!

Reactions: Noneduck and Max*
I say make the 85/90kwh batteries available down stream to those who have 60/75kwh battery owners if the 85/90 wants to upgrade to 100kwh. This would seem the option with the most value as it essentially kills the two birds with the one stone. If Tesla *really* wants a core back, then the S60 owner would literally have no use for his battery at that point and it could be turned into Tesla, hopefully with a less insulting credit that is more than $1000. Of course, by my logic in that example, the S60 owner isn't really getting his full value out of the 60kwh battery, but he does get the performance increase as well. That, in my opinion makes all the numbers work. Tesla has a core, both owners are thrilled at a reasonable cost.

Fun fact, I just had three S60 owners in my area express serious interest in such a deal should it be offered officially by Tesla (meaning, warrantied process). They all said 15k is a reasonable number because you are getting the range + the performance. I should bring up the fact that the brand new cost difference between a S60 and S90 was $18k+. So none of the numbers here are unreasonable.

Reactions: msnow
Can some one tell me where to find the discussion on AP2 and yesterdays product announcement? Rumor I heard - from folks that seem to know - was that the increase in Autopilot fee from $2500 to $3000 was buying the hardware for AP2. Software to follow, but hardware is being installed for that increase in price. Others have said - deny, deny...just what the feature is worth.

I'd like to plug into an erudite discussion of what this AP price increase means. Any links?

Can some one tell me where to find the discussion on AP2 and yesterdays product announcement? Rumor I heard - from folks that seem to know - was that the increase in Autopilot fee from $2500 to $3000 was buying the hardware for AP2. Software to follow, but hardware is being installed for that increase in price. Others have said - deny, deny...just what the feature is worth.

I'd like to plug into an erudite discussion of what this AP price increase means. Any links?

Autopilot now $3k. Why?

I don't think there are any folks here "that seem to know." It's all speculation until a car with new hardware rolls off the line.

I say make the 85/90kwh batteries available down stream to those who have 60/75kwh battery owners if the 85/90 wants to upgrade to 100kwh.

My guess is that Tesla doesn't want to do that because there would be more demand for upgrades to 40s/60s/75s than there will be for upgrades to 85s/90s.

So what they will probably end up doing is using the returned 90, and 85 if they let them upgrade, kWh ludicrous packs for a combination of loaner batteries for warranty purposes and to upgrade a 40/60/75 that gets turned in and becomes part of the CPO program. Since they essentially get the 90 kWh pack for free and all they have to do is apply a software change and a few dollars of badging changes and they can sell it as a Model S 90, giving them the most profit possible and only having to warranty the battery for the least amount of time. And then still having the old 60/75 kWh pack available for warranty loaners or recycling.

I say make the 85/90kwh batteries available down stream to those who have 60/75kwh battery owners if the 85/90 wants to upgrade to 100kwh. This would seem the option with the most value as it essentially kills the two birds with the one stone. If Tesla *really* wants a core back, then the S60 owner would literally have no use for his battery at that point and it could be turned into Tesla, hopefully with a less insulting credit that is more than $1000. Of course, by my logic in that example, the S60 owner isn't really getting his full value out of the 60kwh battery, but he does get the performance increase as well. That, in my opinion makes all the numbers work. Tesla has a core, both owners are thrilled at a reasonable cost.

Fun fact, I just had three S60 owners in my area express serious interest in such a deal should it be offered officially by Tesla (meaning, warrantied process). They all said 15k is a reasonable number because you are getting the range + the performance. I should bring up the fact that the brand new cost difference between a S60 and S90 was $18k+. So none of the numbers here are unreasonable.

I agree, and I rather suspect that everybody on the forum does as well. Unfortunately it's not us that you have to convince!!! I suspect that, at some point, Tesla will have to allow this. What they're doing isn't really quite kosher and at some point some regulatory agency will have something to say about it, I'm certain.

If I had to guess, I'd bet that the issue is Tesla's rather extreme market segmentation and pricing strategy. If you can buy a 2 year old used 90kwh battery for 10K and put it into a new 60D, why pay the huge price difference between a 60D and 90D? They're exactly the same car after all. This issue will go away as the product line matures. Tesla needs to further differentiate the high and low end - with clear visual cues and features that only exist on the higher end vehicles. In the meantime they're doing what they can to protect their margins, dicey though it may be.

Last edited: