Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla readies revamped Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pinch of salt required but some new info/speculation:

Points that interested me:
  • New headlight design and therefore new front bumper design.
  • No cameras in headlights
  • New camera in front grille
  • Additional cameras in side repeater area
  • Removal of external temperature sensor, replaced with weather data based on location
  • Improvements to GPS module, replacing with multi-band Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) antenna
This:
"Since the company removed USS, people have been wondering how the car will detect objects in what's considered a camera blind spot directly in front of the vehicle. Now we know."
So if it needs an extra camera that does not bode well for all those without USS and no extra camera like every M3/MY built for the last 6 months

Also I hope they have a way to keep it clean!

Reactions: Rooster6655
Really! FFS how much does a temperature sensor cost? we have to trust the weather forecast + internet connectivity now to see if it might be icy :rolleyes:
But but but you have to conside the wiring, the plug and the software license....
Anyhow Tesla vision will spot the frost on the bonnet and future cameras will measure the reflected IR......( In s pig's eye)

These are cheap cars sold on promise and fanboy enthusiasm...perhaps it's part of a psychological experiment to see how gullible buyers are...?

Temperature sensor omission, I hope that isn't right. Surely the external temp sensor is an important part of the climate control?

You know how the app screen when conditioning the car shows internal and external temps, so, what now it is just going on a regional weather station? Ridiculous... only a rumour so lets hope it's inaccurate!

Temperature sensor omission, I hope that isn't right. Surely the external temp sensor is an important part of the climate control?

You know how the app screen when conditioning the car shows internal and e
external temps, so, what now it is just going on a regional weather station? Ridiculous... only a rumour so lets hope it's inaccurate!
The thing is does anyone think this is out of character for Tesla?
On April 1st I am going to start a rumour that they are doing away with the door handles and making the doors voice activated. Would anyone reading it be 100% sure it was a joke?

The thing is does anyone think this is out of character for Tesla?
On April 1st I am going to start a rumour that they are doing away with the door handles and making the doors voice activated. Would anyone reading it be 100% sure it was a joke?
Totally - sadly it is not out of character. Removing reliable, tested physical components in favour of software solutions.

Really! FFS how much does a temperature sensor cost? we have to trust the weather forecast + internet connectivity now to see if it might be icy :rolleyes:

Tesla is kinda relentless on eliminating parts - not just for materials cost, but for assembly and maintenance reasons. And yeah, it feels petty at times, but I suspect it adds up as you get rid of a thing here, a bracket there, no mounting hole needed there, no more wire on that...

Reactions: pow216

They aleady messed up with the temperature sensor in the latest model 3 with heat pump as the sensor is right about where the heat pump outlet is, so in very cold winter, the sensor is roughly 10 degrees colder than the actual reading. It's a mess and they know they messed up with the design but refuse to address it.

Typical Elon Musk, some poor engineer likely went to him with a revised sensor location costing $50,000 in retooling and his childish answer was probably something like "you're fired - just remove the f**** sensor"

Reactions: SalisburySam
This:
"Since the company removed USS, people have been wondering how the car will detect objects in what's considered a camera blind spot directly in front of the vehicle. Now we know."
So if it needs an extra camera that does not bode well for all those without USS and no extra camera like every M3/MY built for the last 6 months

Also I hope they have a way to keep it clean!
Last week weren't they saying the extra front camera was for the Cybertruck not for the regular cars. It's certainly doesn't seem to have made an appearance on the MS or MX. I guess if you come up with enough different scenarios, one of them will be right.

Typical Elon Musk, some poor engineer likely went to him with a revised sensor location costing $50,000 in retooling and his childish answer was probably something like "you're fired - just remove the f**** sensor"

This is ridiculous. You just invented a very specific scenario for which you appear to have no evidence. You then criticise Elon Musk on the basis of a response to the scenario that you just imagined! You made something up and made yourself angry about it ...

@Adopado , you do have a point but people are indeed quite annoyed with how Tesla is progressing, the growing list of features that don't work very well, the growing list of parts that are being removed from the car, the false promises, the endless delays and when new software arrives it stuffs other things up.
Now given Musk has a reputation for being socially awkward, that people that disagree with him become ex employees, his rants online and some rather childish outbursts its not really surprising that people speculate more out of venting their frustration and taking the piss out of Elon.

The company has demonstrated it has no moral compass, it isn't being driven by genuine innovation - like it used to be and it feels like greed has taken over, now usually with a car if a manufacturer releases a new feature - people get excited about it. I know i marvelled at the first car i bought with Air-con, the first with remote locking, the first with adaptive cruise control - and they all worked superbly.
When I hear Tesla are about to launch a new feature I dread it, I suspect it wont work properly and hope it doesn't cock my headlights or **** up something else - and I don't feel I'm alone in thinking this way.

You know, when Tesla first launched the model S I so wanted one, not a chance on earth of ever affording one but the dream was created, The model 3 - well this was my opportunity - and I'm still pleased with it - a fabulous car, but its a March 2020 - pre Elon value engineering (well - to be honest the start of his greed for profit as the frunk carpet was gone, the bag hooks and the LEDs in the door card pockets)

I had the chance in 2022 to get a brand new M3P for just £7K difference - but chose not go through with it because of all the stuff I would loose - I saw no advantage to having a newer model (well there were a few little bits, but more lost than gained)
I would advise anyone to buy a late 2019 or early 2020 model over a new one - yes there were some panel gaps issues and poor paint adhesion on some cars but that's something people can see and make their own decision whether to buy or not - but most were fine.

Tesla is in danger of eliminating its customer base, sure they will still get new buyers but how many will become loyal to the brand, how many current owners will go out and buy another?
The competition is catching up fast, when the day comes to move on I will not even consider Tesla, currently I have no intention of selling because my car is genuinely a real pleasure, I don't think the grass is greener elsewhere, I expect any marque will have its foibles but I detest the direction Tesla is going and I don't think I will ever forget the way they enticed people to take early delivery with the offer of some supercharging miles - took their money and then devalued their cars by dropping the price by up to £8K - If they had an ounce of decency they would have refunded those customers, because huge drops in retail prices don't happen overnight - The drop was known at the point they lured their customers into early delivery - and that's despicable.