Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla readies revamped Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree entirely. Much of the competition is coming on in leaps and bounds and there are some absolutely fantastic EVs out there. To say Tesla has the best technology is laughable. I can only presume you haven’t been keeping tabs on what’s happening with the completion over the last couple of years. And there will be LOTS of fantastic EVs coming out over the next couple of years as well.
I often wonder how much of Teslas undoubted efficiency advantage is down to drive unit, battery and BMS tech and how much is due to the the fact that they took weight and aero very seriously from Day one. Other manufactures seemed to ignore these things but, at least in the aero dept., now seem to be coming round. look at the merc EQS, Hyundai Ionic 6 both of which seem to be very similar to Tesla's in efficiency. Even the ID5 and Skoda enyak coupe look a bit sleeker than VW's previous offerings.

My 2020 M3P has the white interior, and it remains in absolutely pristine condition, I also haven't noticed any excessive wind noise or rattles creaks etc. I'm not saying there isn't any noise but whatever is there doesn't register with me when driving.
I did note when i removed the front wheel well lining that the pressing for the A post roof rail appears to be open ended - a sort of rectangle shape piece of steel - nothing obvious blocking it off so perhaps noise travels up that and your ear when driving is so close to that roof rail - which is just covered over with plastic trim. but you can also fit sound proofing wheel well liners to reduce noise a little - and that would work so much better than the phoney acoustic tyres - that insulation could only possibly work if you were sat inside the tyre. There are also other areas within the front wings that would benefit from some insulation plus in the boot if you lift the carpeting up to see the well below the rear lights you can see the ground - the metal isn't sealed at all. So plenty of scope to insulate if that's you bag.

I guess it depends on what your previous car history is like, if you came from luxury big well-made cars then the M3 is going to disappoint - especially so if your choice is the top end spec for those models you previously had. I came from 3 Porsche and a Focus Rs Mk3 - so tyre noise, wind noise and a firm ride was something I was so used to - and the model 3 sounds pretty much the same to me - without engine noise and pops and bangs.
The interior of the M3 - well yes i agree it's a bit spartan and given the choice I would have an instrument cluster in front of me but the Tesla's positives for me outweigh the negatives - so so many things I like and a few that annoy. I'm super pleased with it, but I'm also pleased other manufacturers are gaining ground with Tesla in producing a more conventual looking car but with a whole new platform specifically designed as an EV - the future is looking rosy.

Tesla has had its own way for too long, they remove stuff from cars at will and replace working functions with vapourware - the promise it will work in the future. Their pricing structure is also greedy - the car isn't a luxury vehicle, but the price is.
I have FSD but just what that is paying for I have no idea - it doesn't even move an inch when summon is used but it does flash the lights and move the steering - so i have to laugh when Elon claims soon we will be able to tell the car to go find a parking spot on its own. I expect the steering wheel will go next then. With so much choice on its way I will explore something else other than Tesla, but for the next couple of years the Tesla will do.

It’s amazing how different people have different experiences of what is essentially the same car. You honestly can’t hear ANY wind noise at 70mph? I find I can hear tyre noise from 15mph and wind noise at 40mph. At 70mph wind and tyre noise is so intrusive it requires a significant boost in volume to listen to music. Comparing it to my late 2018 model A6 is like comparing chalk and cheese in terms of noise, comfort and refinement. The A6 is in a completely different league. But then the Germans know how to put cars together properly.

My M3 also has no interior flaws after more than three years, but I can say the same about every car I’ve owned over the last 40 years.

I’m another person who finds the interior of the M3 to be too spartan. Everything seems to be about saving money. A decent binnacle display, a HUD and a few physical buttons for HVAC are a must in my next car. I’m more and more drawn to the EV6 GT. I’ve just heard a reviewer on Fully Charged say it’s (in his opinion) “the most broadly talented electric car on sale right now” and ”we all know when it comes to electric vehicles right now the Koreans are a cut above the rest”. That will have the Tesla fanboys spitting feathers 🤣😂🤣
At motorway speeds wind and road noise in mine is also very intrusive - I find myself not wanting to go past 65-70 mph. This appeared on YouTube today, I'm leaning towards this, and it's being imported by Stratstone into the UK next year.

That’s two anecdotes, one about someone who doesn’t know how to work an app and another who had a single charge that failed.
I can only comment on things that I have experienced directly. If you want to me to add to the direct experience the etron driver was highly critical of the range of his car and the eniro driver spoke of garage visits for repeated suspension problems and confusing in-car software. I never even asked or prompted the owners to describe issues ... they may have had more. I don't make these comments to suggest that those alternatives are unworthy EVs but to demonstrate that some people have issues with their cars ... any cars. I know that my friend with the eniro has excellent real world range. I sometimes have the impression that people think that it's only Teslas that have issues. Get a different brand and all will be well. Certain assumptions can become an alternative reality ... like Germans know how to put cars together properly, as posted by Artiste, when Audi, along with Tesla, is listed as one of the most unreliable car brands in the UK. Of course if you've had reliable Audis you assume that goes for everybody. Same risk with Tesla if I have one that doesn't rattle or have noticeable wind noise but other people do. I'm open to all brands in the future but I would still have Tesla high on the list.

Reactions: EVer Hopeful
The wind noise is low, its the tyre noise that is not as quiet as other cars. When you get a smooth bit of tarmac the car can be as serene as the quiet cars. But on most surfaces the noise level is not much of a bother. On the rough concrete at the start of the M50 I did have to turn up the radio a bit, but there was some extra noise from that surface in my Lexus as well. Theres plenty of room for improvement in the Tesla, but its perfectly acceptable.
Not having engine noise at the higher speed is a factor of course. You will notice the lack of masking of other noise from the lack of the usual noise "floor" from the infernal combustion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adopado
I have to agree on the comfort and refinement front for the M3SR+
We got one for my wife in 2019 as she had a job that involved commuting a couple of hundred miles a few times a week.

The alternatives we looked at were the Volvo XC40 and the Mercedes GLC coupe. The Volvo interior was horribly cheap! Scratchy plastic in the rear doors and back of the seats and the interior felt pretty dark. The Mercedes was much nicer but the infotainment system was a bit fiddly and had that awful comic sans like font! They did the typical German premium car effort to squeeze you into upgrades - by making the base car a little bit uglier so you get the AMG package, then have all the options you expect in packs that add thousands to the price.
We almost went with it but had enough of being messed around by the salesman who was either off or busy with another customer when I would call to place the order.

Tesla was a breath of fresh air. No hassle from the salespeople. No options - all the bits we wanted were included in the base price. The interior was miles better than Volvo and in my opinion comparable to Mercedes (although with a very different aesthetic - which I preferred).
Granted, the price we paid was cheaper than the other options we were considering. With the price hikes I understand that people could have higher expectations.

But in over 36k miles over 3 years we still love the interior of our M3 - quiet, no rattles, the vegan leather is comfortable and feels better to me than the “Individual Leather” comfort seats I have in my BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe which was double the price.

In fact I prefer the interior and the drivetrain so much that I take the wife’s car at every opportunity.
She has finally got fed up and ordered me a MYLR to replace the BMW! 😆

Tesla was a breath of fresh air. No hassle from the salespeople. No options - all the bits we wanted were included in the base price. The interior was miles better than Volvo and in my opinion comparable to Mercedes (although with a very different aesthetic - which I preferred).
Granted, the price we paid was cheaper than the other options we were considering. With the price hikes I understand that people could have higher expectations.
At BMW service I always felt like I had my trousers pulled down and then stretched over a barrel! How about failed power steering repaired under warranty ... OK ... and as part of that they needed to readjust the front tracking ... expected ... then they said this also required resetting of the rear tracking but they gave me a bill of almost £200 (20 years ago ... so we can increase that for inflation) for that even though it was "needed" because of the warranty work that had to be done! You need to pay for their smart suits somehow. Another tiny tiny example but one which just irritates me ... I presented my car for service and had just brimmed the screenwash with new winter spec stuff ... at pick up the service manager gives me the paperwork that specifically lists all the billed items including a couple of quid for screenwash ... I point this out "Oh it comes as part of the service pack that we use for the car." I say "but you haven't added any screenwash so I don't intend to pay for that." they say "oh, we would have drained what was there and added new screenwash." I say "Pull the other one it's got bells on".

Reactions: Vidyutyaan
Is this the new 'Highland' Model 3 in testing?
Is that a camera situated at the top of the headlamp?
If so, will this help fill the void left by the removal of the USS in the front bumper?

1670097275016.png

Pinch of salt required but some new info/speculation:

Points that interested me:
  • New headlight design and therefore new front bumper design.
  • No cameras in headlights
  • New camera in front grille
  • Additional cameras in side repeater area
  • Removal of external temperature sensor, replaced with weather data based on location
  • Improvements to GPS module, replacing with multi-band Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) antenna

Pinch of salt required but some new info/speculation:

Points that interested me:
  • New headlight design and therefore new front bumper design.
  • No cameras in headlights
  • New camera in front grille
  • Additional cameras in side repeater area
  • Removal of external temperature sensor, replaced with weather data based on location
  • Improvements to GPS module, replacing with multi-band Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) antenna
In the article they speculate the release date to be in Q3. I hope so. I wait in anticipation.