Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls 2 million vehicles to limit use of Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, you can just not install it in the touchscreen, if that's what you're saying? Sure pepople have done that for years even. But eventually the Tesla API will change enough that you won't be able intsall any updates (this happened to me in 2018 on my first Model S). Then the security will have changed enough (certificates, TLS/SSL version, etc) that you will no longer be able to login at all. Once either of these senarios happens, you need to take your car to a service center (inner most circle of hell) to get everything back up to date. All while avoiding accidentally installing the update and having it pop up constantly.

This is all to say that in other countries Tesla has issued manadatory updates to cars for recalls. I think the only software related recall in the US was the FSD one, so I'm assuming everyone with FSD did that update. Guess we will see if they force it.
No, the window recall was also a software recall, I was notified and never updated:

My windows are still using supposedly dangerous software and I haven't been forced to install the recall update.

Reactions: SalisburySam
Last edited:
If I do not do the update, can I still climb into the back seat and read a book while the car autopilots down the highway?
I want to still be able to still do this and post it on Tic Tok so people I do not know will be impressed with me :(
You'll have to do it the old fashioned way with a brick on the accelerator. Luckily there is no accelerator nag yet so tesla will never know!

And don't worry, if you cause an accident doing this extremely unsafe thing, know the nhtsa will step in to protect you with more governmental overreach! Oh how virtuous!!!

But remember only if you drive a tesla, if you drive a Ford then the administration will bury the story.

If I do not do the update, can I still climb into the back seat and read a book while the car autopilots down the highway?
I want to still be able to still do this and post it on Tic Tok so people I do not know will be impressed with me :(
Yes, your good. It's all in the safety calculations. It's still several times safer than a human even when sitting in the back seat. ;)

Sorry, I couldn't get the funny video without the attached tweet.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: zroger73
so if anyone is at all concerned about their model 3 with basic autopilot losing the ability to engage around town, I suggest you do the following:

1. disconnect 12v battery negative cable
  2. lift up the back seat and disconnect the hv connector (passenger side)
  3. pull out the 4 clips securing the panel above passenger footwell
  4. unplug the LTE antenna from the HW2.5 or HW3 computer. its the red one, with double connectors in the middle of the computer. (circled in the image below)
  5. disable wifi in the tesla software settings a

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 8.58.21 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 8.58.21 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 39
Reactions: ArchHamster
Depends on a lot of things - but if robotaxi is possible, how much would it be worth ? See ARK spreadsheet from a couple of years back I've posted in the forum.
I have never ridden in a taxi. Google tells me Uber costs about $1-2/mi. and I assume traditional taxi services are similar or perhaps a bit cheaper.

Let's assume $1.50/mi. My daily commute is 38 miles. That's $285/wk and that's just to work and back. That's $14,820/yr.

I spend about an hour per day driving. If I could spend that hour working productively on my laptop, eating a to-go meal, etc. while being driven, that would have some value based on how much my time is worth.

Let's assume an average hourly wage of $35 and use that as the value of one's time. An hour a day and five days a week would be $9,100/yr.

If FSD can actually drive me to work and back at least as safely as I can (not necessarily safer) without supervision or intervention, the feature would be worth some number significantly higher than $15,000 to me.

FSD as it currently exists is not something that I feel is worth paying anywhere near $15,000 for - in fact, I sometimes feel that Tesla should be paying me to train and test the feature.

Reactions: BigNick
So is it confirmed that the next update will activate the cabin camera when using auto-pilot? I hated this feature when I had FSD trial. I would get warned when I'm searching for music or trying to adjust the cabin fan via the touch screen.

• Love
Reactions: boonedocks
So is it confirmed that the next update will activate the cabin camera when using auto-pilot? I hated this feature when I had FSD trial. I would get warned when I'm searching for music or trying to adjust the cabin fan via the touch screen.

Amen to that!! I subscribed to FSDB and cancelled ~5 months ago. The difference in the two after switching back to standard A/P was HUGE. That and the way the steering disconnects from A/P after turning on the turn signal. GAME CHANGERs!!!!

Reactions: fishy21
Right - same way FSDb / AP - conveys cutting edge technology. Doesn't matter whether 99% of drivers can't or won't use it. I mean not just "conveys" ... it IS cutting edge.

That you expected to get full level 4 FSD for $2k shows how naive you were. If FSD was full hands/eyes free - it would be 100K. Not 2k. Competitors charge $2k or more for things that are not even 1% of FSD.

Here is what I wrote in 2019, March.
Right. Why would anyone assume Level IV FSD for the price they paid (2-8k) when Tesla themselves calls it "FSD?"

You weren't being naive. It shouldn't have been promised as Level IV/FSD. Totally misleading

Right. Why would anyone assume Level IV FSD for the price they paid (2-8k) when Tesla themselves calls it "FSD?"

You weren't being naive. It shouldn't have been promised as Level IV/FSD. Totally misleading
It's just the pattern of gaslighting that the current defenders of the "fake it until you make it" buisness model that Tesla has adopted. Every time December comes around and "autosteer on city streets" doesn't manifest, they just say "well it was never going to be that" and "it was always going to take this long", "really it's FSD BETA, a level 2 system".

It was always a lie, even to Tesla engineers as early as 2016, they knew it would take at LEAST 5-10 years. It's been 7 and the evidence is becoming clear that robotaxis are still no less than 5 years away.

But still, when I get in my car, I have this screen... what is it coming in the next 15 days?

1702661229209.png

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: finman100
Thank you! That is very good news for my friends.

I'd skimmed and searched TMC for hours and not found that thread. Thanks.

Those .100 and .200 version appear to be temporary factory software loads, am I right?

Do you know if updates for existing cars have been suspended? Installs of already "pending" update are continuing, but I'm seeing no additions to the pending pools since 12/7/

It was never promised as Level IV. That was always supposed to be in the "future" ... do you know what it means to say something that has never been done before but will come in the future ?

Do you know if updates for existing cars have been suspended?
TeslaFi shows vehicles in US still installing software without recall remedy even today, so Tesla isn't required to pull updates. TeslaInfo had 2021 Model Y install 2023.44.30 and has the release notes via Tesla API:

Autopilot Suspension
For maximum safety and accountability, use of Autopilot features will be suspended if improper usage is detected. Improper usage is when you, or another driver of your vehicle, receive five ‘Forced Autopilot Disengagements’. A disengagement is when the Autopilot system disengages for the remainder of a trip after the driver receives several audio and visual warnings for inattentiveness. Driver-initiated disengagements do not count as improper usage and are expected from the driver. Keep your hands on the wheel and remain attentive at all times. Use of any hand-held devices while using Autopilot is not allowed.​
Autopilot features can only be removed per this suspension method and they will be unavailable for approximately one week.​
Over-the-Air (OTA) Recall
In accordance with a recent recall (campaign #23V-838 for US and #2023-657 for Canada), Tesla is making the following improvements to Autosteer:​
  • Improved visibility of driver monitoring warning alerts on the touchscreen by increasing the text size and moving the notifications to a more prominent position (Model 3 and Model Y only).
  • Added option to activate Autopilot features with a single stalk depression, instead of two, to help simplify activation and disengagement.
  • Increased the strictness of driver attentiveness requirements when using Autosteer and approaching traffic lights and stops signs off-highway.
  • Introduced a Suspension Policy that will restrict Autosteer usage for one week if improper usage is detected. Improper usage is when you, or another driver of your vehicle, receive five "Forced Autopilot Disengagements."
You are the driver. As the driver, you must be vigilant to the road, keep your hands on the wheel, and be ready to intervene to maintain safety.​