Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recommends cleaning and lubricating all brake calipers every 12 months or 20,000 km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can check their electronic parts catalogue to see what they will or will not sell directly.

https://epc.tesla.com/

I serviced my brakes and swapped to winters. However, the RearRight outside clip (bottom) broke off (not critical as the top one is more important). What's the part number on these little suckers? Come spring I'd like to replace them all.

Front = 8008242-00-A (1pc)

Rear = ??

upload_2019-11-11_8-39-40.png

I serviced my brakes and swapped to winters. However, the RearRight outside clip (bottom) broke off (not critical as the top one is more important). What's the part number on these little suckers? Come spring I'd like to replace them all.

Rear = ??

View attachment 475485

not sure if this is it, but Tesla is replacing mine free:
Correction: Inspect and Replace Brake Caliper Spring Clip
Parts Replaced or Added
Part
RR BRAKE CALIPER, BASE, SPRING KIT(8008252-00-B) 1.0

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck

Rear = ??

View attachment 475485

Are those the same clips that are known to fail? If so, can't they be replaced for free under warranty?

Reactions: Muskol
I did mine last weekend following the tips from the Rich Rebuilds video from post #4. Went smoothly except for one brake pin was seized. All the other pins came out easily. But the front passenger bottom pin wouldn’t budge.

Tried penetrating oils (of course cleaned up after). Just wouldn’t move a mm. I’ll probably take it to a local shop or back to Tesla.

Everything else is lubricated and working. I had a right parking brake squeal (you’d hear the servo going and then a squeal as piston engaged) and that’s gone now. Lubricated the right side pad contact point with the piston.

Definitely recommend that we get this service done for us in Canada.

FE923EE2-27B5-4FB0-B861-4517D25B76F7.jpeg
8200FB00-F155-4A3E-8BE4-446B62C5F107.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony_YYZ and Muskol
I did mine last weekend following the tips from the Rich Rebuilds video from post #4. Went smoothly except for one brake pin was seized. All the other pins came out easily. But the front passenger bottom pin wouldn’t budge.

Tried penetrating oils (of course cleaned up after). Just wouldn’t move a mm. I’ll probably take it to a local shop or back to Tesla.

Everything else is lubricated and working. I had a right parking brake squeal (you’d hear the servo going and then a squeal as piston engaged) and that’s gone now. Lubricated the right side pad contact point with the piston.

Definitely recommend that we get this service done for us in Canada.

View attachment 475583
View attachment 475581
Thanks for the info. Is this the first time you've done this, and if so how many winters were the brakes exposed to the elements?

Mobile service coming this weekend to do mine, they're charging 175 for a total of 201.21 here in Quebec.

They're also going to replace the Charge Port Insulator Pin Deadfronts, Charge Port Carrier Assembly and Latch Actuator (for ice build-up) at the same time under warranty. Not sure why they didn't do those back in July when I had the rear glass replaced due to a stress fracture, I guess because it wasn't the winter yet.

brake-service.png

Last edited:
So I got a quote from the Lawrence Service Centre regarding my stuck pin on the right front brake re: post #85

$385 + tax... to remove the pin. It's $175 to do the full brake service x4 calipers. And to remove one pin on one caliber (which is part of the $175 service) is $385+tax.

They mentioned that this includes the cost of new pads assuming the pin removal will damage the pads. The pads are fine right now and not damaged.

I've asked for further clarification, but am still waiting.

So I got a quote from the Lawrence Service Centre regarding my stuck pin on the right front brake re: post #85

$385 + tax... to remove the pin. It's $175 to do the full brake service x4 calipers. And to remove one pin on one caliber (which is part of the $175 service) is $385+tax.

They mentioned that this includes the cost of new pads assuming the pin removal will damage the pads. The pads are fine right now and not damaged.

Make an appointment for Oakville and ask for the 175 service. Say nothing of the stuck pin ;)

Did you try heating the area locally to help aid the removal, just a thought. I had one that was very stubborn as well, but eventually gave with some penetrant, did not resort to heat.

You'd be committed to seeing this through one way or the other, but another option is to cut the pin in the middle and that'll give you some ability to swivel it (with a little force) and then pound out whichever side is stubborn.

Don't see how the pads get damaged either way.... but I suppose it depends on technique.

They'll probably charge you for that is my guess. If you're asking me if they'll do it while paying for a brake service.

My mobile service guy asked me if I wanted the tires rotated when he took them off, I said yes - there was no extra charge. As I'm running all-weather Nokian WRG4 tires all-year long, there was no other set of winter tires to install, just rotation.

Mobile service coming this weekend to do mine, they're charging 175 for a total of 201.21 here in Quebec.

They're also going to replace the Charge Port Insulator Pin Deadfronts, Charge Port Carrier Assembly and Latch Actuator (for ice build-up) at the same time under warranty. Not sure why they didn't do those back in July when I had the rear glass replaced due to a stress fracture, I guess because it wasn't the winter yet.

Yes, my mobile tech took about fifteen minutes to do those charge port upgrades after he finished with the brakes. All told, he was done and gone in an hour, without any issues.

Reactions: GooseSerbus
You'd be committed to seeing this through one way or the other, but another option is to cut the pin in the middle and that'll give you some ability to swivel it (with a little force) and then pound out whichever side is stubborn.

Don't see how the pads get damaged either way.... but I suppose it depends on technique.

Thanks for the suggestion. That's definitely an option. I've seen one youtube video where they chiseled it apart and used vice grips to pull it out afterwards (plus the pin punch).

Thanks, Cal