Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla releases big, new software update with Disney+, Car Wash Mode, remain connected to wifi, and more - 2021.24.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
21.24.3 is in middle of a major push right now, starting from about an hour ago.

There have been over 100+ moves just in last 30 min alone. Nearly 100% are from people who are 2021.12.25.7 currently; which is currently over 75% of the fleet,

So D+ and (most of) the other updates should be hitting most people sooner then later.

Comments reference data from TeslaFi (portion of) fleet.

I just downloaded 21.24.3.
It has Disney + app, but you must pay additionally to view anything on Disney. I naively assumed it might be included in the $10 monthly premium fee.
Netflix isn't included free, or other paid services. Why would D+ be included free,

It's clearly stated what's included in the $10 fee.
Connectivity Link

Connectivity Packages​

Connectivity PackagesStandard
Included (FREE)
Premium ($10)
Navigation
Live Traffic Visualization-
Satellite-View Maps-
Video Streaming*⁺⁺-
Caraoke*-
Music Streaming*⁺-
Internet Browser*-

* Accessible over Wi-Fi for Standard Connectivity
*⁺ A paid subscription to streaming services is required to access music and media streaming

2019 Model 3

76CFE89F-314A-4B03-90E9-C979A00DC49B.jpeg

I just got offered 2021.24.3...

After months stuck on the 2021.4.18.x branch, last week I was offered 2021.12.25.7 and suddenly this week I'm downloading 2021.24.3. It's likely that multiple branches of code are being merged again, I'm guessing the first half of 2021 has been pretty crazy for Tesla because of radar removal and FSD beta going on at the same time.

Reactions: MBx4
I just got offered 2021.24.3...

After months stuck on the 2021.4.18.x branch, last week I was offered 2021.12.25.7 and suddenly this week I'm downloading 2021.24.3. It's likely that multiple branches of code are being merged again, I'm guessing the first half of 2021 has been pretty crazy for Tesla because of radar removal and FSD beta going on at the same time.
What vehicle do you have?

2018 Model S - did not get car wash mode, mirror auto dim, or range display button press.

Sounds like you didn't get 2012.24.x series...

Model S, at least older ones, don't get those features even when they get 2021.24.x:
  • They can't roll up the windows on their own.
  • The IC isn't a touch screen so you can't change the battery icon by tapping on it.
  • I don't know why you wouldn't be able to control the mirror auto dim.

Netflix isn't included free, or other paid services. Why would D+ be included free,

It's clearly stated what's included in the $10 fee.
Connectivity Link

Connectivity Packages​

Connectivity PackagesStandard
Included (FREE)
Premium ($10)
Navigation
Live Traffic Visualization-
Satellite-View Maps-
Video Streaming*⁺⁺-
Caraoke*-
Music Streaming*⁺-
Internet Browser*-

* Accessible over Wi-Fi for Standard Connectivity
*⁺ A paid subscription to streaming services is required to access music and media streaming
Again, because music streaming, except for premium service, is included in the $10 fee, I hoped video streaming might also. I was mistaken.

Again, because music streaming, except for premium service, is included in the $10 fee, I hoped video streaming might also. I was mistaken.
The only thing that is included in the $10 fee is connectivity - the ability to connect. The "included" services are FREE services - not just free on your Tesla, but free anywhere.

If there were services (such as D+, Netflix, etc.) included for "free", then it would be a lot more than $10 per month.

There seems to be something atypical going on with Radar-less cars, which are far behind their radar equipped equivalent. While Vision-only is a promise, its very odd that they haven’t put any Vision-only cars on the latest software versions. You can verify this by looking at TeslaFi and the VIN numbers of cars in the US (only market without radar). I don’t know where Model 3s started without radar, but for the Y Long Range, it starts at about 190XXX. As you can see, there are no cars updated above 183XXX (MYLR).
I’ve been using this method to adjust my expectations for an update.
Basically, Vision-only MY in the US are stuck on 2021.4.21.3 (or lower). We can’t get any of the 2021.12.* or 2021.24.* yet, despite some of these branches being out for more than a month.
Software rollouts have a large degree of randomness, that’s how it works when you’re trying to detect issues, etc. but this is not random.
It’s not like these branches are for Model S or X, no, they are for the Model Y as well, so one can’t help but feel a bit left behind.
Tesla was probably forced to release vision-only before it was ready, due to the chip shortages, and now those of us that have vision-only cars have to wait much longer than other people that paid the same for their cars to get up to parity.
Lets not deny that Tesla‘s software is one of the coolest things about the car. It’s understandable that people want to be at par with the rest.
I hope Tesla figures out a way to release software to vision-only cars at the same rate than the majority (current) of their fleet. Because I want my car wash mode!

It’s like I’ve mentioned before. It’s going to be end of the year, at soonest, before radar : non radar / Plaid (no stalks) are all in parity with each other. That also assumes the lack of stalks doesn’t come to a refresh of 3 and Y; which would reduce cost / complexity / coding going forward.

Reactions: dmurphy
one just cannot judge a single thing by the public rollout of HIGHLY complex software like this.

its not linear time, no matter who says that.

they could be lazy. I doubt that's it.

they could be cautious. that's a good thing.

it could be that there's a long 'soak period' for the new set of code.

I would also not merge a single 'feature branch' into this one until its known to be good and clean. that bothers users. but this isn't a new phone game, where quality may or may not matter and the domain is not as complex as a whole car. what you get on 'apps' updates on one domain does not translate to safety-related updates.

I want few updates. I dont want new features until they get to 'stab-1' (as one of my old companies used to call it; stabilization level 1). FIRST you fix the bugs, THEN you add new bu^H^Hfeatures in.

1629237055613.png

Reactions: Sandor