Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replacing ultrasonic sensors with Tesla Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What happens if it is facing a multi-stories parking garage where there are no external walls but just wires? Will it plunge to the ground? Especially when height and lighting conditions may create problematic conditions.

What happens if it is facing a multi-stories parking garage where there are no external walls but just wires? Will it plunge to the ground? Especially when height and lighting conditions may create problematic conditions.

Ultrasonic sensors aren't likely to help you there much... (I doubt they would see the wires, or the thin support "posts" that I see in those kind of installs.)

Reactions: DrGriz
Did you mean your Model 3 has no radar? Afaict, they haven’t actually delivered any non-USS vehicles to customers yet.
All FSD Beta cars have radar deactivated. No FSD Beta cars are using radar.
The point of the screenshot-it shows the cars around me as I park, the cars are not detected by radar or ultrasonics to generate the overhead image.

Cars that have the 360 degree overhead view do not have a roof mounted camera-the image is made by stitching together the images made by the cameras.

Some of the comments here on this topic are completely- whacked.

The point of the screenshot-it shows the cars around me as I park, the cars are not detected by radar or ultrasonics to generate the overhead image.

Cars that have the 360 degree overhead view do not have a roof mounted camera-the image is made by stitching together the images made by the cameras.

The vision system is no where near ready to accurately show what's around the car when parking. At times it seems to up to the task (as your single image shows) but often cars and walls around it jump around and overlap the car, workbenches look like semi trucks, all kinds of crazy stuff.

I'm never buying FSD, so unless the advances in the FSD system make this possible, and they put everyone on some basic system that uses it, they'll never get there.

You cherry picked an example of parking between cars.

We are talking about parking in garages and beside objects.

• Helpful
Reactions: kevin1 and 2101Guy
Another cost-cutting measure that will ultimately make the vehicle less-safe. Great.
Maybe you should look at the system replacing those sensors before you jump to that conclusion. It sees curbs and deals with occlusions so that it might finally give us protection for that front bumper from curbs that the ultrasonic sensors don't see.

Maybe you should look at the system replacing those sensors before you jump to that conclusion. It sees curbs and deals with occlusions so that it might finally give us protection for that front bumper from curbs that the ultrasonic sensors don't see.
Maybe you can tell me you know how it will “see” curbs and with what degree of accuracy. Here’s what I know, ultrasonic sensors work.

Vision + autopilot = fail
I suspect Vision + proximity sensing is also a giant fail. Can’t wait to see how this “works” in winter.

Stop giving this company the benefit of the doubt when they are removing features and charging you more money. Passenger lumbar support? You don’t need it. That’s just a missed opportunity for you to use a pillow you already have in your house!

The Tesla zombies need to wake up.

The vision system is no where near ready to accurately show what's around the car when parking. At times it seems to up to the task (as your single image shows) but often cars and walls around it jump around and overlap the car, workbenches look like semi trucks, all kinds of crazy stuff.

I'm never buying FSD, so unless the advances in the FSD system make this possible, and they put everyone on some basic system that uses it, they'll never get there.
Note if you don't have FSD Beta you don't have the Vision system in your visualizations. The ones we have are very old single frame based, so it is common for things to jump around when it straddles two cameras. It is considerable less sophisticated than what FSD Beta is using.

Also Tesla may not have rolled out the Occupancy Network fully yet into the visualization even for FSD Beta. You can see the screen shots people posted from AI day, the network shows small 3D cubes for occupied space instead of trying to guess what type of object is in them. I imagine an updated Park Assist will look similar (replace the current ultrasonic ping lines with 3d visualization).

As for the discussion for the reason, I disagree with the radar change reason mentioned, as AI day demonstrated there are real advantages in avoiding sensor fusion errors and I've seen latest reports in forums Vision is has gotten better than radar based at avoiding phantom braking.

I do agree however this doesn't apply to ultrasonics, as Tesla isn't doing any significant fusion of it (it is only used to do the pings and distance measurements). There is no real advantage to removing them other than supply issues or cost cutting.

Reactions: DrGriz
How Cadillac deals with it: openly, honestly, in a non deceptive manner

Cadillac Limits Park Assist Availability Due To Chip Shortage: Report​

Hey Elon: telling your customers basic truth is ok. Certain things aren’t in your control. We get it. No need to deceive
It looks like the same shortage affected other automakers as well. Some manufactures (like Ford) are reducing price and offering retrofit at a later date while others don't offer any compensation.

I work in a rival company that has been doing similar initiatives. They were advertised as better experience, better alignment and better performance to customers but in reality most of the changes are due to value engineering in order to bring the cost down. So in my opinion this removal is a downgrade and performace will be compromised.
Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 10.31.20.png

Please post your delivery that comes without the USS!

Reactions: kavyboy and acpd
More nails in the coffin that my next EV will be something other than a Tesla. Others are catching up, fast, with Tesla on battery and charging technology. Everything Telsa has been doing is cutting costs with no benefit to the consumers as they keep raising prices. Ultrasonic sensors are dirt cheap, there's no reason to ditch them, and there's zero chance any camera based system would be as accurate on measurements like the current sensors are, based on the current location of the cameras and the blind spots towards the front.

More nails in the coffin that my next EV will be something other than a Tesla. Others are catching up, fast, with Tesla on battery and charging technology. Everything Telsa has been doing is cutting costs with no benefit to the consumers as they keep raising prices. Ultrasonic sensors are dirt cheap, there's no reason to ditch them, and there's zero chance any camera based system would be as accurate on measurements like the current sensors are, based on the current location of the cameras and the blind spots towards the front.
And what about when your camera is blocked? I get those warnings at least once a day. I was so bummed when I realized that they de-activated my radar.

Reactions: Macgyverfever

I agree that some comments are completely whacked - just not which comments they are. ;)

Yes, the cameras and occupancy NNs are capable of forming the visualizations shown in your image, but did you get out and make measurements to ensure that the cars are shown at accurate proportional distance from your car? If you had, I think you would have found that these are basically rough estimates (and that includes the lines). The ultrasonics are far more capable of establishing exact distances than the cameras at these close distances. That's why the autopark, park assist, and summon on Teslas currently use them. In addition, every other car manufacturer - even those that can generate a real "360 degree overhead" or birds-eye image (Tesla's being more of an animated approximation) - use ultrasonics for autopark and park assist features.

So Tesla is betting they can make the cameras work just as well as the ultrasonics in these cases, despite both the loss in resolution in distance measurement and the awkward positions of the cameras for this type of function. Those that are making comments that you consider "whacked" are betting they can't. It remains to be seen who will be right.