Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replacing ultrasonic sensors with Tesla Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is not correct. Elon never promised a 360 view like those that use parking cameras. Before the occupancy network even existed, he promised a vector space bird's eye view for FSD Beta which the engineers did make and release for FSD Beta. This was presented in various technical presentations about autopilot by Andrej. This was as opposed to the previous raster based road lines.

It was others that interpreted the bird's eye view (BEV) as 360 parking camera, when that was not what he meant.

Here's an article on how Tesla's vector space BEV worked (this was before the latest occupancy network):
What is the difference between “Birdseye view” and “vector-space Birdseye view”?

This actually strikes me as Tesla being in breach of contract - smart summon is part of the EAP (and FSD) package so not including it means they are not delivering a feature that was explicitly promised at the time of order.

If they can duplicate all the functionality of the ultrasonic sensors with cameras, great. Do it before you remove the sensors so there is no loss of functionality.
If the process is the same to when I accepted delivery of one of the first cars with radar removed, you are notified of the removed features and reduced capability and must sign and accept prior to delivery of the vehicle.

Tesla always covers their butt…

Reactions: MP3Mike
Tesla announced today that they are transitioning away from ultrasonic sensors and replacing them Tesla Vision:

View attachment 861249
Should I delay delivery of MYLR (to replace my 2018 M3LR). Advised yesterday car ready next week, but NO USS. Specifically asked if I want to accept delivery without this feature. Should I? Not in a hurry for the MYLR, but…..will waiting help?

Should I delay delivery of MYLR (to replace my 2018 M3LR). Advised yesterday car ready next week, but NO USS. Specifically asked if I want to accept delivery without this feature. Should I? Not in a hurry for the MYLR, but…..will waiting help?
Not sure what delaying because of the removed USS would do since Tesla is HIGHLY unlikely to add them back. It is MUCH more likely that by end of 2ed qt or so that Tesla removes them from all HW3 cars. However if you can delay you can wait on the credit starting in Jan and save a huge chuck of change. That would be a GREAT reason to delay if Tesla will allow and you are not in a hurry.

Directly from Musk's Twitter feed:

"You will get a significantly degraded Twitter in-car experience - unless you pay for the Premium Twitter subscription at only ten bucks a month!"

Parody, Elon, parody.....
Elon Musk: You are banned for life. Now back to "free speech".....as long as I personally approve of it and it doesn't offend me in any way.

Elon Musk Confirms ‘Vector-Space Birds Eye View’ Coming To All Tesla Vehicles Next Month​

By Tinsae Aregay Sep 22 2021 - 3:29pm
Already did discussed here how that's misleading especially for those that expect that to mean 360 parking camera view.
Tesla already delivered the vector space BEV a long time ago:

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
What is the difference between “Birdseye view” and “vector-space Birdseye view”?
360 parking view which the article all implied (but not what Elon meant) looks like this:
Tesla-birds-eye-view-678x374.png

It's a view that is directly stitched from the camera views. This is not possible in Teslas because they are missing low front cameras.

This is what the vector space bird's eye view looks like (it's a 3D representation of the road that is done in vector space instead of rasterization), see bottom right corner:
1*iReMspo5kHCSgwhIIKdG0w.gif

This view was delivered in FSD Beta a while back:
fsdv9.jpg

Previous version:
Tesla-FSD-Beta-678x381.jpg

Tesla also added an automatic zoom out at intersections in v10:
FSD-Beta-10-Birds-Eye-View.jpg

This is what the vector space bird's eye view looks like (it's a 3D representation of the road that is done in vector space instead of rasterization), see bottom right corner:

This view was delivered in FSD Beta a while back:
Yes, this is totally what people think of when they think of birds-eye view; hard to imagine how they could think otherwise. After all, Elon is technically correct.

(These are just the first few random hits obviously.)

It’s awesome that we have Elon to cut through the semantically incorrect naming of car features and bring clarity to the car market.