Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla sales continue downwards trend in Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are a very lucky man. I will never again purchase anything JLR. My stepson worked on the assembly lines for several years and you honestly don’t want to know what goes on. Now works for Aston Martin, so don’t buy one of those either 😂
I did try to persuade her to look at something other than Range Rover - but she was having none of it. Prior to the Velar I had sourced an Evoque 3 years earlier - she adored it, This wasn't new and repairs - well she just brings her cars back to me. I swapped out three of the door lock modules over those three years, a new turbo Intercooler hose, rear brake pads and discs - my daughter thinks all her cars have warranty for life - and no waiting time,
The turbo hose - she had restricted performance and DPF fault light - she managed to get it to me though and I found a split in the hose - ordered a pattern part and was delivered the next day - at 1900hrs - but she wanted the car for first thing in the morning, It was around 2200hrs when I started on the fix - It took me 90 minutes to do - big hands and little space to undo the bottom hose clip, meanwhile she was at home in bed - not a care in the world - knowing her car will be back on her drive - keys through the letterbox for the next morning.

When i left school - my first job and apprenticeship was with British Leyland as a motor mechanic - I'm quite aware of the horrors, the Red Robbo days and strikes, A few years later when i had become a HGV class 1 driver I had a delivery to one of the BL plants, sealed trailer - was asked by security what my load was - I had no idea so said sleeping bags for the night shift - I very nearly got filled in, and there was a debate if they were even going to let me in - didn't do that again.

I did try to persuade her to look at something other than Range Rover - but she was having none of it. Prior to the Velar I had sourced an Evoque 3 years earlier - she adored it, This wasn't new and repairs - well she just brings her cars back to me. I swapped out three of the door lock modules over those three years, a new turbo Intercooler hose, rear brake pads and discs - my daughter thinks all her cars have warranty for life - and no waiting time,
The turbo hose - she had restricted performance and DPF fault light - she managed to get it to me though and I found a split in the hose - ordered a pattern part and was delivered the next day - at 1900hrs - but she wanted the car for first thing in the morning, It was around 2200hrs when I started on the fix - It took me 90 minutes to do - big hands and little space to undo the bottom hose clip, meanwhile she was at home in bed - not a care in the world - knowing her car will be back on her drive - keys through the letterbox for the next morning.

When i left school - my first job and apprenticeship was with British Leyland as a motor mechanic - I'm quite aware of the horrors, the Red Robbo days and strikes, A few years later when i had become a HGV class 1 driver I had a delivery to one of the BL plants, sealed trailer - was asked by security what my load was - I had no idea so said sleeping bags for the night shift - I very nearly got filled in, and there was a debate if they were even going to let me in - didn't do that again.
SWMBO loved her Evoque too, apart from the fact that it never worked properly from day 1 until the moment we sold the lemon above list price when used car prices went bonkers. She still loves the brand, but won’t ever drive one again … probably because after the third monthly visit back to the dealer I flatly refused to waste my time on her bad choices any longer. I had an early Disco3 and it might as well have been built by the Keystone Kops.

I pity the fool that bought the Evoque we unloaded on that dealer sale above list.

That’s a classic case of finding the most optimistic spin on a topic that you can. As already posted Tesla sales are falling fairly dramatically in a growing market, and while in absolute terms the headline might be true, the direction of travel in the U.K. is very much bad for Tesla.

Reactions: MrT3
That’s a classic case of finding the most optimistic spin on a topic that you can. As already posted Tesla sales are falling fairly dramatically in a growing market, and while in absolute terms the headline might be true, the direction of travel in the U.K. is very much bad for Tesla.
The problem is the sticker price hasn’t fallen far enough, fast enough.

They’ve been dropping the prices in other markets but the UK has held at the moment. I’d say they should drop but I’m picking up my Highland today so too late for me.

I see sales have picked up for them in China. Maybe all on the rumours that FSD is going to launch there? Maybe if Tesla put a bit more focus on other markets and even if full FSD isn’t yet possible, give us something like BlueCruise at least.

Reactions: Bouba
They’ve been dropping the prices in other markets but the UK has held at the moment. I’d say they should drop but I’m picking up my Highland today so too late for me.

I see sales have picked up for them in China. Maybe all on the rumours that FSD is going to launch there? Maybe if Tesla put a bit more focus on other markets and even if full FSD isn’t yet possible, give us something like BlueCruise at least.
Give us a full report on your new Highland....good luck...and I am only the tiniest bit envious 🤣

Reactions: FastLaneJB
Some markets lowered sticker price (Norway), others lowered interest rates.

Maybe local management choose based on local attitudes towards debt finance. Maybe some A/B testing of what works best.

Maybe depends a bit on logistics difficulties, so Berlin model Y coming to UK may change things, depending on whether all UK Model Y trims sourced from Berlin or a Shanghai/Berlin mix.

Some markets lowered sticker price (Norway), others lowered interest rates.

Maybe local management choose based on local attitudes towards debt finance. Maybe some A/B testing of what works best.

Maybe depends a bit on logistics difficulties, so Berlin model Y coming to UK may change things, depending on whether all UK Model Y trims sourced from Berlin or a Shanghai/Berlin mix.
Understood and appreciated, but I think Tesla are now chasing profit not volume, at least in the UK.

Unsurprisingly then, volume sales are decreasing in the UK, due to the relative uncompetitiveness of pricing (loan/cash, doesn’t matter)

Hence suggesting that imo the sticker price is simply too high to support volume growth, particularly compared to JP/CN/KR brands undercutting. I really do understand it overall isn’t this simple but there aren’t that many levers to pull really 🙂

Understood and appreciated, but I think Tesla are now chasing profit not volume, at least in the UK
Yes, very little discounting this year compared with 2023. They were dumping big volumes into the UK in early 2023, and clearing them by heavy discounting (to the delight of the leasing companies...)

There would be more competition this year for Shanghai output, with new markets opened in Malaysia, Chile, etc.

Reactions: Utumno
So just got back with my new Highland, will post more on it later I imagine but I got an email as you expect currently about 100 free supercharger miles because of charge. However the guy told me that actually I had 15,000 free supercharger miles because of when I ordered the car. Honestly this surprised me as I'd seen nothing at all to indicate this when I order plus a quick glance on the website shows nothing along these lines either. Maybe because I paid cash? Of course it expires 8th Dec 2024 so no way I'll be able to use 15,000 miles of Supercharging in that time... Guess I need to plan some road trips, many of them. Mention it in this thread as an incentive I guess to buy but they do need to let people know upfront ;)

Car had 30% odd when I collected it which was enough to get home. Of course best choice I thought was to swing into South Mimms and start with some free charge but all full and a massive queue of Tesla's also waiting to charge. I see a ton of new chargers but not online yet, so yeah failed to get some free electricity. I'll probably head up to Wyboston but updating it first as it's on quite old software at the moment.

Understood and appreciated, but I think Tesla are now chasing profit not volume, at least in the UK.

Unsurprisingly then, volume sales are decreasing in the UK, due to the relative uncompetitiveness of pricing (loan/cash, doesn’t matter)

Hence suggesting that imo the sticker price is simply too high to support volume growth, particularly compared to JP/CN/KR brands undercutting. I really do understand it overall isn’t this simple but there aren’t that many levers to pull really 🙂
I think teslas are good value. I'd argue they have great tech and good features without spending a fortune on options. Comparing unoptioned prices and ignoring any of Tesla's low interest finance...

Sorting by price/mile of range..

Out of 217 available models/trims. Tesla in positions 13 and 20. Not bad. I'm struggling to see other teslas on my phone, but Model Y bigger than most others I've noticed. Expected that Teslas will be more expensive than smaller cars.

I'm sure if charging speed, range or other filters were applied, Tesla would rank very well.

Plus Tesla is largely a known quantity. Tesla are the safer bet in my opinion.

Reactions: Bouba
I think teslas are good value. I'd argue they have great tech and good features without spending a fortune on options. Comparing unoptioned prices and ignoring any of Tesla's low interest finance...

Sorting by price/mile of range..

Out of 217 available models/trims. Tesla in positions 13 and 20. Not bad. I'm struggling to see other teslas on my phone, but Model Y bigger than most others I've noticed. Expected that Teslas will be more expensive than smaller cars.

I'm sure if charging speed, range or other filters were applied, Tesla would rank very well.

Plus Tesla is largely a known quantity. Tesla are the safer bet in my opinion.
I’m on record as sharing this “good value” sentiment, but if the 3/Y is such great value, why do you think their market share is falling? It can only be the wrong product, or the wrong pricing, or both.

Regardless of value, it seems clear the current market wont pay the current price for the current offering, at least in the UK, no?

3/Y is reasonable value. but definitely not a "good value".

up until Highland it had AWFUL sound insulation, interior for it's price is too cheap and rattily.
overall, tesla model 3 and model is is ~30k car with a bit better battery and motor for 50k...

you MG ZS is 30k for LR model (200 miles on motorway speeds)
MG4 EV is even better value.

unless we understand "value" differently

Here is another breakdown of the UK car sales in May 24
Points of interest....Tesla stays top with only two models, BMW 2nd but with four models in their range
Diesel sales continue their collapse
Petrol sales down slightly...but the biggest beneficiary are plug in hybrids...of course this benefits traditional automakers such as Toyota. I suspect the nervousness over battery vehicles combined with the fear of ULEZs being the driving force

One aspect rarely mentioned here when discussing "value" is occupant crash safety. I may have no care for myself but when my wife and two children are involved, I willingly pay a premium for as safe a vehicle as possible. Call me crazy but it is at the top of my list when choosing a vehicle and always has been. On that metric Tesla does pretty well.