Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Says Model 3 Will Be On Sale 2017 Alongside Chevy Bolt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree... the cost of the 17" screen is ridiculous... you can buy a 17" HD capacitive display for less than 200$. This is not where Tesla have to save money for M3. Using a 12" instead of 17" screen to save 50$ in a more than 35000$ car... You save money in the seats (no leather, no electric adjustement, no memory), in the interior trim (leather as an option) and things like this.

Base Model 3 will have textile seats (unpowered, manual adjustement), and things like autopilot, leather, power seats, pano, parking sensors, rear view camera, handsfree access, xenon/led, navigation (software upgrade)... will be optional.

For 35000$ you will get a more than 200hp good looking EV with 220-230 miles EPA, 5 textile seats, halogen lamps, big trunk, a big 17" screen (with limited features) and probably supercharging capability with and endless list of options. But the base car will be a really good car.

Let's take a look at your list:

autopilot: Already not included in base Model S
leather: Already not included in base Model S
power seats: OK, perhaps
pano: Already not included in base Model S
parking sensors: Possibly, these used to be optional in the Model S
rear view camera: These will be required by law in all US cars by the time the Model 3 comes out.
handsfree access: Pretty much all cars from a $17K Honda Fit on up include this standard these days. Highly doubtful this would be optional.
xenon/led: Not sure about this one.
navigation: Possibly. This used to be optional on the Model S.

Let's take a look at your list:

autopilot: Already not included in base Model S
leather: Already not included in base Model S
power seats: OK, perhaps
pano: Already not included in base Model S
parking sensors: Possibly, these used to be optional in the Model S
rear view camera: These will be required by law in all US cars by the time the Model 3 comes out.
handsfree access: Pretty much all cars from a $17K Honda Fit on up include this standard these days. Highly doubtful this would be optional.
xenon/led: Not sure about this one.
navigation: Possibly. This used to be optional on the Model S.
And that's exactly the misconception a lot of people have who have never considered buying a BMW 3-Series or didn't look closer at the options at the dealership. That stuff has options that you would never think is has, if you want the options every $25000 Japanese car has you will spend several thousand Dollars on top of already higher base price.

Keyless entry is part of a $3,100 Premium Package on a 3-Series.

Why you don't want a $35000 Tesla Model 3 - Medium

And that's exactly the misconception a lot of people have who have never considered buying a BMW 3-Series or didn't look closer at the options at the dealership. That stuff has options that you would never think is has, if you want the options every $25000 Japanese car has you will spend several thousand Dollars on top of already higher base price.

well that article is humbling...

I interpreted handsfree as Bluetooth. I agree keyless entry will be an option. As a matter of fact, that article is making exactly the point I've been trying to make. I expect the Model 3 to be priced like a premium car and the options to be expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if the average selling price was more like 45K. Despite the similar base prices I do expect the Model 3 to be more expensive on average than the Bolt and sell to people willing to pay more.

I think we all already knew that $35k would get you the base model and the price will only go up from there. So many of us will have to pick and choose to get the best car we can afford. But I would take that article with a grain of salt. It's on a blog named Tesla.ShortCircuit and has no byline. The person (or company) behind it is obviously trying to bad mouth Tesla.

I think we all already knew that $35k would get you the base model and the price will only go up from there. So many of us will have to pick and choose to get the best car we can afford. But I would take that article with a grain of salt. It's on a blog named Tesla.ShortCircuit and has no byline. The person (or company) behind it is obviously trying to bad mouth Tesla.
I was also thinking you could get a really nice used MS for 45k by then, probably even lower. I just need a darn Tesla y'all.

I don't think they were bad mouthing Tesla at all. It really is a dose of reality.
Sure, Tesla will put its own take on what needs to be in the $35K car, but all of the package detail and pricing in that article is spot on.
We have to set ourselves meaningful expectations, pretending that somehow Elon is going to find a way to get the full tech package into the base car is only going to lead to disappointment for some.
As bigbear mentioned, a used Model S (or even CPO) will be really close to the same price as a reasonable Model 3 .....

I'm already expecting to pay over $50k. There is no way I'd pay $35k and only get base, just like I wouldn't want to pay $70k and only get the base Model S. I'd still be paying $83k for the very minimum in options I'd take on a Model S.

Well like so many other articles the tax credit they describe is wrong. It doesn't end after 200k vehicles are sold.
Internal Revenue Bulletin - November 30, 2009 - Notice 2009-89

Section 2. BACKGROUND

Section 30D provides for a credit for certain new qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicles. The credit is equal to the sum of: (1) $2,500, plus (2) for a vehicle which draws propulsion energy from a battery with at least 5 kilowatt hours of capacity, $417, plus an additional $417 for each kilowatt hour of battery capacity in excess of 5 kilowatt hours. Under § 30D(b)(3), that portion of the credit determined by battery capacity cannot exceed $5,000. Therefore, the total amount of the credit allowed for a vehicle is limited to $7,500. The new qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle credit phases out for a manufacturer’s vehicles over the one-year period beginning with the second calendar quarter after the calendar quarter in which at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer have been sold for use in the United States (determined on a cumulative basis for sales after December 31, 2009) (“phase-out period”). Qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are eligible for 50 percent of the credit if acquired in the first two quarters of the phase-out period and 25 percent of the credit if acquired in the third or fourth quarter of the phase-out period. Vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are not eligible for a credit if acquired after the phase-out period. After December 31, 2009, a vehicle that qualifies for a credit under § 30 does not qualify for the credit under § 30D

Section 30D provides for a credit for certain new qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicles. The credit is equal to the sum of: (1) $2,500, plus (2) for a vehicle which draws propulsion energy from a battery with at least 5 kilowatt hours of capacity, $417, plus an additional $417 for each kilowatt hour of battery capacity in excess of 5 kilowatt hours. Under § 30D(b)(3), that portion of the credit determined by battery capacity cannot exceed $5,000. Therefore, the total amount of the credit allowed for a vehicle is limited to $7,500. The new qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle credit phases out for a manufacturer’s vehicles over the one-year period beginning with the second calendar quarter after the calendar quarter in which at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer have been sold for use in the United States (determined on a cumulative basis for sales after December 31, 2009) (“phase-out period”). Qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are eligible for 50 percent of the credit if acquired in the first two quarters of the phase-out period and 25 percent of the credit if acquired in the third or fourth quarter of the phase-out period. Vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are not eligible for a credit if acquired after the phase-out period. After December 31, 2009, a vehicle that qualifies for a credit under § 30 does not qualify for the credit under § 30D

Wait, so does that mean it's after they sell 200k in a single quarter?

Yes you can charge pretty much anywhere but it's the time it takes. Superchargers are Tesla's ace in the hole and that I think is going to be a major tipping point for a lot of people into model 3 camp rather than the Bolt.

Beyond the time, there's also the experience. You know they're somewhere with services. You know that the station will be working (well, almost always). You know that there are several plugs so odds are you won't be waiting for one to free up (Tejon ranch at Christmas and Montreal almost any time excepted). You know parking is enforced so it won't be ICE'd. You know how much it's going to cost.

I don't do much public charging of my Volt since it's kind of pointless for me most of the time, but the few times I've attempted it have been a s(%*show. The Bolt is inheriting that mess.

It certainly seems logical that a base Model 3 will not have many of the nice features that a base S comes with. But I think Tesla might surprise us with the features included with a base 3 at $35K. I am confident that it will include more than what a base BMW 3 Series or a base Bolt comes with. We shall see...

I don't think they were bad mouthing Tesla at all. It really is a dose of reality.
Sure, Tesla will put its own take on what needs to be in the $35K car, but all of the package detail and pricing in that article is spot on.
We have to set ourselves meaningful expectations, pretending that somehow Elon is going to find a way to get the full tech package into the base car is only going to lead to disappointment for some.
As bigbear mentioned, a used Model S (or even CPO) will be really close to the same price as a reasonable Model 3 .....

As I said, the article doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know. The reason I see it as bad mouthing is the title "Why you don't want a $35k Model 3". If they had changed just one letter I don't think I'd view it as being negative. If the title said "won't" instead of "don't" I wouldn't see it as someone trying to dissuade me from buying one. Or even better would've been "might not". Maybe that's just me.

You're forgetting the margins that GM has to pay LG for all that Bolt tech. Tesla makes their own "expensive" stuff when the Gigagactory starts pumping out battery packs.

With the Bolt you have LG, GM, and the franchised dealership network making money off the Bolt and passing that onto the customer.
With the 3, the bulk of it is just Tesla Motors. Maybe it is an unfair advantage ;)

Plus Tesla doesn't have to pay the middle man aka Dealership/Stealership model.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I had just done a quick search for Tesla's and assumed Chevy hadn't released that since they only just released the size of their pack.

Tesla currently costs $200/kWH. Looks like the actual estimate for the gigafactory is $100/kWH though. So, the Bolt is $8700 for their pack (confirmed) and the Model 3 will in theory be $6000.

Bolt only has one pack size 60 kWh

I expect Model 3 to come with two pack sizes and my last guess was

Model 3 - 65 (range similar to a S80) - 2018 version
Model 3 - 80 (range similar to a S100) - 2018 version