Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla screwed us

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is completely unrelated to the tax credit. The X, S and performance Y do NOT qualify for the credit and were dropped about the same percentage, depending on version of each model. This was a decision made solely on the falling demand and rising production capacity. It is a market-based decision. Not more. They will not go back up when or if the credits end. They may go higher if demand increases and / or costs increase, or they could even drop a bit more of demand continues to soften.
I actually wonder if it’s a move to squeeze out the weaker up and coming competitors. Basically use the shrinking demand, worse economy, to throw their cash pile at this. Take a hit on profits and create competition that the smaller folks just can’t compete with at a 40-50k price point. Akin to the Walmart model.

Reactions: tangible1
Folks are pretty naive if you didn’t see this coming.
First post here.

I guess most of us are naïve since I don't think anyone saw this coming. If the Y was considered a SUV for tax credit I don't think the price drop would have hapened.

This post is from someone who bought a MY one month ago. That same car today would be $12,000 less out of pocket PLUS a $7,500 tax savings. So it cost me $19,500 more 30 days ago. Sad.

Reactions: tonyz1 and BRCuda
First post here.

I guess most of us are naïve since I don't think anyone saw this coming. If the Y was considered a SUV for tax credit I don't think the price drop would have hapened.

This post is from someone who bought a MY one month ago. That same car today would be $12,000 less out of pocket PLUS a $7,500 tax savings. So it cost me $19,500 more 30 days ago. Sad.
They've been saying they are cutting prices since Q3 earnings report. Then again in Nov during the Twitter Spaces talk, going as far as saying reduce margin to zero if they had to in order to raise/increase sales during a recessionary period, ie. 2023. Once yall saw the deep cuts in China, that should have been a huge hint.

Interestingly enough, Tesla CEO Elon Musk actually provided an early explanation about the company’s new pricing strategy last month. During an appearance at a Twitter Spaces session, Musk explained that he would like to push Tesla’s rapid growth even if it meant that the company’s profits would take a hit. The CEO noted that long term, such a strategy would likely be proven correct.

“‘Do you want to grow unit volume, in which case, you have to adjust prices downward, or do you want to grow at a lower rate or go steady? That’s sort of the choice there. My inclination would be to still grow. My bias would be to say like, ‘Okay, let’s grow fast as we can without putting the company at risk,’ which would mean that in that scenario, profits would be low to negative during a recession. Provided the cash position is okay, I think that’s still the right move long term,” Musk said.

Last edited:
I'm actually using this opportunity to trade in our 2021 Mach E for a MYP. Can't pass up the price drop and would never have been even a thought without it.

Aren't used Mach Es and pretty much anything used tanked recently? Even before this Tesla price cut? It sounds like a ton of used car dealers are in a massive world of hurt currently. Unless Tesla is paying top dollar for used cars, it seems like no difference like on the upside where folks sold used cars for more and paid more for cars, this is the opposite where used cars are less, and Tesla just cut prices so cars are less too.

First post here.

If you look up that other old thread from like June 2022 about this exact thing of what happens if Tesla cut prices, I'd say 80% had the same mindset that it was impossible or it'd be a slow gradual cut. This being a Tesla forum, it's very biased and one sided. Maybe not exactly the same, but like when shorts put their own $$ at risk to short, it might be wise sometimes to at least see what someone else sees since the 80% might be wrong sometimes, especially when they/we/everyone is very biased.

A lot of any negative idea is quashed here pretty quickly. Sorry to hear about the sudden drop in equity which has some effect if a car is totaled, etc...but you weren't the only one.

They've been saying they are cutting prices since Q3 earnings report. Then again in Nov during the Twitter Spaces talk, going as far as saying reduce margin to zero if they had to in order to raise/increase sales during a recessionary period, ie. 2023. Once yall saw the deep cuts in China, that should have been a huge hint.

Even though it was mentioned, people like see what the choose to see. Also, no one knows "when" or if this will happen and assuming if inventory never built up, this may never have happened actually.

Aren't used Mach Es and pretty much anything used tanked recently? Even before this Tesla price cut? It sounds like a ton of used car dealers are in a massive world of hurt currently. Unless Tesla is paying top dollar for used cars, it seems like no difference like on the upside where folks sold used cars for more and paid more for cars, this is the opposite where used cars are less, and Tesla just cut prices so cars are less too.
Mach E owner here.

Yes. But I'd be careful drawing conclusions about why.

Ford dramatically increased prices on the 2023 models. They didn't really add any features, more like changed what features are available with what trim. The cheapest MME with a long range battery is now a Premium for $68k, was selling for around $52k last year.

My plan was to upgrade my Select to a Premium this year, but it was hard to justify the $14k difference. Then people started to notice prices were going down for used inventory, especially on Carvana and Carmax.

My guess is this is more Ford Fatigue than the economy. No one liked seeing the prices jacked. The MME not a bad car, but you could get a Porsche Cayenne for the cost of a Premium with all features selected. Luxury pricing runs counter to the brand.

Mach E owner here.

Yes. But I'd be careful drawing conclusions about why.

Ford dramatically increased prices on the 2023 models. They didn't really add any features, more like changed what features are available with what trim. The cheapest MME with a long range battery is now a Premium for $68k, was selling for around $52k last year.

My plan was to upgrade my Select to a Premium this year, but it was hard to justify the $14k difference. Then people started to notice prices were going down for used inventory, especially on Carvana and Carmax.

My guess is this is more Ford Fatigue than the economy. No one liked seeing the prices jacked. The MME not a bad car, but you could get a Porsche Cayenne for the cost of a Premium with all features selected. Luxury pricing runs counter to the brand.
The difference between legacy auto and tesla is everyone at tesla pays the same price. You can walk into a ford stealership and buy the exact same car as the guy before you bought and pay more or less. They have been doing it for years and people never know if they got screwed or not.

The reduction is only due to a federal credit that is applied to the purchase price. Once it phases out, prices will go back to normal.
Post-reduction prices ARE normal prices.

The crazy run-up in the last couple years was NOT normal. Anyone who thought the Model Y was ever a $66k car was fooling themselves big time.

First post here.

I guess most of us are naïve since I don't think anyone saw this coming.
Oh, I did! I’ve been watching the Tesla game for a long time. This was inevitable. ;)

They had no choice but to make their volume models eligible for the tax credit. The massive run up in prices over the past two years was completely unsustainable. $66k for a base Model Y was and is complete lunacy.

This massive price reduction just tanked our resale values.

I can now purchase a performance model for less that the October 2021 pricing.

I am so mad and yet I am still better off than the people who only purchased in the last 6 months.

Never seen a company discount a new car this much.

With trucks, pre covid, you would always see up to $10,000 sales.

But an SUV.

They completely fooked us.

So... don't sell you car - just enjoy it.

I actually wonder if it’s a move to squeeze out the weaker up and coming competitors. Basically use the shrinking demand, worse economy, to throw their cash pile at this. Take a hit on profits and create competition that the smaller folks just can’t compete with at a 40-50k price point. Akin to the Walmart model.
MSM pitched it that was because they like to anthropomorphize stories about hardware and corporations. It seized the human attention.
But Elon has said the mission is not about crushing the competition, it’s about encouraging it so as to reduce the impact of climate change.
There’s some evidence he was BS’ing about this mission being his motivation
But still this is almost certainly a straightforward supply/demand business decision.
Tesla has algorithms for this and economists at hand to predict the shirt-term state of the economy, which Elon has talked about.

Oh, I did! I’ve been watching the Tesla game for a long time. This was inevitable. ;)

They had no choice but to make their volume models eligible for the tax credit. The massive run up in prices over the past two years was completely unsustainable. $66k for a base Model Y was and is complete lunacy.
Right on the $66k. Price drop was unrelated to tax credits.

Not sure why you think I was trying to flip it. I have already drive over 10,000 miles in it.
Tesla's price reduction has impacted a lot of people in this forum. I bet a lot of people are now underwater. Not me, but I bet a lot of people are.
expectations of making money, or increasing value, in a vehicle is a denial of history and reality.
a bubble popped. happened before, will happen again.
if you don't need to sell it (and only a very few might), then use it, abuse it, it's a CAR.

Reactions: Mike7564 and ucmndd
You can pretty easily get a precise sense of the price the dealer paid.
Ohh I totally agree with you on that one. guessing what the consumer will pay is a whole different ballgame. 250,000 dollar hummer ev.
tesla would never do that. Actually tons of people flipped and sold their tesla reservations and cars. You ain’t seen nothing wait till the cyber truck hits.

It is completely unrelated to the tax credit. The X, S and performance Y do NOT qualify for the credit and were dropped about the same percentage, depending on version of each model. This was a decision made solely on the falling demand and rising production capacity. It is a market-based decision. Not more. They will not go back up when or if the credits end. They may go higher if demand increases and / or costs increase, or they could even drop a bit more of demand continues to soften.
Any electric suv under 80k and produced in the USA qualifies for this credit. Any electric car under 55k qualifies. That’s why the s and x do not qualify. This was passed in the summer. It says it on their website guys. Anyway cars are not investments. It’s the bottom line. Anyone who picked up in the last few months knew about this.

First post here.

everyone who follows tesla saw this coming.......they did it in china months ago. But I admit I didn't see a 23% dump, maybe an initial 10-15% and then smaller incremental drops. Don't be surprised if we don't see another 10-15% dive again. Remember the model 3 was supposed to be 35K initially, "model2" 25K, CT 39k. If Musk really did intend to make vehicles at those prices then who knows......hard to get inside that guys head to see the chaos.

everyone who follows tesla saw this coming.......they did it in china months ago. But I admit I didn't see a 23% dump, maybe an initial 10-15% and then smaller incremental drops. Don't be surprised if we don't see another 10-15% dive again. Remember the model 3 was supposed to be 35K initially, "model2" 25K, CT 39k. If Musk really did intend to make vehicles at those prices then who knows......hard to get inside that guys head to see the chaos.

I'm still waiting for another price drop before i get a Model Y. Maybe after march =P

Status
Not open for further replies.