Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Always Breaking Something

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mean this in the nicest way possible, but it seems like a lot of things might be complicated with you.

:) ... I wish you were right.. but I've been pretty patient w/ Tesla...

When you buy a new car..

and then it has to sit in their shop for the next 40 days because it had DELIVERY PROBLEMS...

It can wear on the patience of even the Dalai Lama...

So finally getting my vehicle to drive day to day..

and then to discover they've left scratches on the inside paint of the car....

(shaking my head)..... Knowing I have to take it back again....

Props to you.. you must be quite the evolved human being...

I have had the same problematic experience at service centers in the Bay Area:

1. Went in for wheel alignment and to fix some miss aligned front bumper trim. --> Returned with both front left/right ultrasonic sensors clips broke and rubber covers in wheel wells not placed properly allowing lots of water in. I had to fix the rubber covers best I could. I was shocked that the service center was not aware at all that they broke the clips and that they were not reinstalled correctly after servicing.

2. Went in for mirror replacement --> Car returned with muddy footprints, scuffed on the door as if someone was wearing muddy boots and not carefully at all getting in or out.

The first experience made me wait a few weeks before giving them the chance to 'fix' something else on my car.

Reactions: gabeincal
Weird

My service appointments usually go like this

Me -> I need the annual service done, and can you fix the rattles?
Them -> Sure. You'll just need to drive the service person around to spot the rattles
Me -> I don't really need to because the rattles are obvious, and anyone with ears can spot them.

They do the service

After -> Car rattles just like it did before.

But, they've never broken anything or scratched anything.

Keep in mind I've never owned a rattle free car in my entire history of cars (which is getting up there in numbers). I think it's some weird mythical creature that I'll never have. I just hear about them on the internet, and in TV commercials.

Weird

My service appointments usually go like this

Them -> Sure. You'll just need to drive the service person around to spot the rattles
Me -> I don't really need to because the rattles are obvious, and anyone with ears can spot them.

They do the service

After -> Car rattles just like it did before.

But, they've never broken anything or scratched anything.

Keep in mind I've never owned a rattle free car in my entire history of cars (which is getting up there in numbers). I think it's some weird mythical creature that I'll never have. I just hear about them on the internet, and in TV commercials.

Mine goes something like this.

Me -> Service person notes the rattles and states they will be fixed.

They do service.

After -> Car rattles just like it did before. Service invoice states no rattles were evident and car is under specs. Or they state rattle is resolved when it clearly isn't.

Same experience after four SC appointments.

Reactions: Petra
I normally have service issues like that with other dealerships and services for my ICE cars. As for Tesla in Houston, I've had good luck, though, I've only had to bring it in 3 times in the 2 years I've had it. Not sure if it helps, but i bring in my car very clean and request a walk through with them before I give up my keys. This way, they know that I'm very particular about my car and that I will be looking at it thoroughly for "new" scratches.

I had this issue with my last BMW. The local service center was constantly breaking something when I went in for service. Unfortunately, I had a lot of issues with the car at delivery and throughout the lease period and was constantly in for service.

They scratched the interior, the exterior, and the rims. They left black grease regularly all over my light colored seats. They scratched holes in the window tint on more than one occasion. They broke an interior door handle and during replacement shorted out a wire that caused all four of my windows and my sunroof to open fully during a massive rain storm while I was parked outside. I just happened to come back out to the car or it likely would have been fully flooded.

The best was when they broke an entire two foot piece of dash trim and tried to super glue it down and hide it, but got glue all over the the dash so it stuck out like a sore thumb.

The whole ordeal wore me down unlike anything else in recent memory. With all the issues plus the service issues I tried to lemon it, but BMW called the dealer, they lied about all the damage they had done, and BMW told me to suck it.

Reactions: gabeincal
Agree. The service team in Rocklin, CA was fantastic and always went above and beyond. I was sad to leave them behind when I moved, but was happy to find a great team in Tigard.

I've had zero complaints regarding service for my Roadster and now for my X. They've always gone above and beyond. I'm sorry others have not had the same amazing experience.
You are right. Rocklin USED to be pretty fantastic. As of about 9 months ago that has changed. Quality of the repairs have become worse. Care for the car is poor. appointments have completely changed. They now have a "que". They now collect your car and eventually get to it days later. They said they want it that way to build up work for the technicians. They don't want any down time for the service staff. I have been waiting months for an appointment for two different re-repairs and other things that have broken since waiting. I have been called in for a repair. They collect my car, call me later and say they don't have my part in. So i return to get my car. They whole service experience has gone in the toilet. Super unorganized. It will only get worse when the Model 3 arrives.

@TMobe - sorry your experience has been so negative, but please don't spin my words to imply we're in agreement. My experience with the Rocklin team was stellar. It's 'was stellar', not because I think things have changed, but because I moved and it is no longer my home base.

Unfortunately I agree about service causing minor damage to the car occasionally when I bring it in.

When I just got the car, one of the scroll wheels wasn't working properly, they replaced it and left tool marks all over the the 2 buttons next to it (I emailed the photos, they said they'd replace it, I never bothered asking them to do it as it faded over time).

Brought it in for rattles in the dash, they fixed it, left a few minor indents in the chrome trim around the 17" screen (I didn't complain this time, as I had 1-2 there before hand, and now there's just more).

I have a few indents from (what I assume is my ring) on the door trim by the handle, one of the times I dropped the car off, came back and there were definitely more indents than when I left it. Again, didn't complain, as I knew that most of them were my own and what's the point of replacing it if I'll continue to put more there.

Brought it in for something else (can't remember now), came back to black smudges on my tan arm rests. Came home washed it off.

There were more things. If I bring it up the issues I have, the service people will bend over backwards to fix anything wrong they've done. But I shouldn't be their QA person, they should be their own QA people.

To add my experience,
I had minor front bumper alignment and door/window chrome trim alignment issue (<200miles on the car). Brought it in to Fremont Service, a couple days later, they barely fix the bumper and the chrome alignment, instead found a new damage (paint chip) to the front bumper under the right headlight. While trying to align the bumper, they managed to hit the underside of the right headlight and chipped the paint. Also they did not put back the rubber seal (for the sensor) under the bumper correctly.

The service manager promised to fix this, currently waiting for a Tesla Loaner to come back (previously they gave us Infinity Q50 from Hertz). He said they will probably send our car to body shop. I'm very hesitant because it's a brand new car. I kind of want them to at least do touch up on the paint (do you guys think it's necessary?)

I'm leaning more to just let it be and not make things worse.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Russell

I would advise everyone:

1. Do not take service delivery in the dark (when the sun is setting/ bad lighting).
Make sure you can inspect your car in full daylight inside and out.

2. Do not take your car back unless everything is GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU.

3. GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU, is the operative word

4. Make sure you have a good loaner Tesla on hand, in case your car has to sit in the SC to fix whatever new problems you just found.

Hopefully, if enough of us held up the quality standards, the SC will raise their standards as well, so that future Tesla customers won't have to go through this NONSENSE.

I would advise everyone:

1. Do not take service delivery in the dark (when the sun is setting/ bad lighting).
Make sure you can inspect your car in full daylight inside and out.

2. Do not take your car back unless everything is GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU.

3. GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU, is the operative word

4. Make sure you have a good loaner Tesla on hand, in case your car has to sit in the SC to fix whatever new problems you just found.

Hopefully, if enough of us held up the quality standards, the SC will raise their standards as well, so that future Tesla customers won't have to go through this NONSENSE.

No WASH!!

That's sad to hear. I have had my car at Buena Park, Torrance, Costa Mesa and Van Nuys and never had any such issues. My car always looked better than when I dropped it off. I had a total of 10 service visits over three years.

No matter what brand car I own I always tell the Service Adviser "NO WASH". 9 times out of ten damage/scratches happen from the detail crew. Those guys have a line of cars to clean and dont give a hoot about being careful.
Make sure your car is super clean when you drop it off, makes it easier to find damage and if you told them no wash then you know for sure that the tech did it.

Telsa has major quality control issues, that is no secret. I remember when I picked my S up I got put under the Tesla spell, car is so fast, big ass screen etc... which makes you have tunnel vision and over look defects.

Be nice, and ask for the service manager... They will take care of the damage and any other issues.
Remember, they didn't build the car... the service center people are overloaded and I feel sorry for them having to fix stuff that should been taken care of at the factory. Their job is to make you happy and if you treat them right they will go above and beyond for you.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mark Z
I mean this in the nicest way possible, but it seems like a lot of things might be complicated with you.
Behold, the guy who dings your car with his door and trivializes the matter.

People should rightly be pissed off about these sorts of things, and good on him for calling it out. I've seen more owners than I'd like on this forum take a defect-ridden delivery or otherwise poor experience with meek, submissive attitudes.

I'm with you OP. What you're going through would infuriate me too, especially if you're dealing with people who act as if you're being petty by calling out their reckless damage.

@TMobe - sorry your experience has been so negative, but please don't spin my words to imply we're in agreement. My experience with the Rocklin team was stellar. It's 'was stellar', not because I think things have changed, but because I moved and it is no longer my home base.
I didn't realize I was "spinning your words". I was "in agreement" with you that they used to be fantastic for me as well. And they are not anymore in MY opinion.
Anyone out there listening...Please read my original comment as my own and do not apply anything I said to how Bonnie feels. Thanks.

I didn't realize I was "spinning your words". I was "in agreement" with you that they used to be fantastic for me as well. And they are not anymore in MY opinion.
Anyone out there listening...Please read my original comment as my own and do not apply anything I said to how Bonnie feels. Thanks.
Sorry - I'm getting touchy lately with word spins - second apology of today. Peace. :)

Reactions: TMobe
Behold, the guy who dings your car with his door and trivializes the matter.

I don't ding other peoples' doors. I'm careful and considerate.

That said, I also don't throw a hissy fit and demand the first born son of someone who dings mine.

Nor do I expect five star fine dining from a fast casual restaurant and then complain loudly when I don't get it.

I find life to be much more enjoyable when your expectations are realistic. I guess one person's "weak and submissive" is another's "not being a privileged whiny prick".

I don't ding other peoples' doors. I'm careful and considerate.

That said, I also don't throw a hissy fit and demand the first born son of someone who dings mine.

Nor do I expect five star fine dining from a fast casual restaurant and then complain loudly when I don't get it.

I find life to be much more enjoyable when your expectations are realistic. I guess one person's "weak and submissive" is another's "not being a privileged whiny prick".

I think we all have our own "limits" and perceptions.

And it's challenging to communicate that through a forum..

For myself, I WRONGLY expected Tesla's quality and service to be on par w/ the best of the best car companies... I WAS WRONG.

Maybe it was all the great reviews, media write ups, amazing Tesla owner feedbacks I heard about...

(Talk about Smoke and Mirrors)

Thus I try to remind everyone to keep their expectations LOW w/ Tesla (This is the truth - not smoke)

Believe me, I'm not driving myself crazy over these vehicle issues, but it is a NUISANCE.. and another level of petty STRESS I don't welcome in an already busy life...

I appreciate being able to vent through TMC, so I don't have to yell at the local Tesla Service Reps, who are frankly pretty clueless themselves.

But I will continue to hold Tesla's feet to the fire.. until they say, "sorry, we refuse to rise to those high standards"...

At that point, I guess I have to suck it up and accept their "limits". And then decide to buy another car in the future...