Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Centres - Is this normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I recently picked up my new Model X from the Bristol service centre for pain work and other issues to be sorted. There were a couple of paint issues that I was informed would be properly addressed.
But when I picked it up they had just done cheap smart repairs and they were bad, they also got overspray on the chrome trim and door rubbers and scratched the spoiler posts when polishing it.

I emailed them about it and they just came back with the car is within spec...

I don't think its too much to ask that a car costing £120K be repaired properly.
How recent are we talking? You can always reject the car if it’s unsatisfactory. That’s pretty much the only leverage you’ve got, unfortunately.

Picked up the car in October, booked the service appointment the same day to have it fixed. Got an email from them at the end of October saying they had to order a lot of stuff in and then they finally did the work in December

I've had different service. Every time I've booked my car in I get a call before the day to go through the issues and re-confirm the problem. Only ever had 3 so not a lot but they have been very good at keeping me informed including times where the item needed hadn't arrived and wanted to know if I was happy to go ahead with the visit and return when the part had arrived.

That's one of the things that annoyed me, they gave me a repair estimate to the work that they would do. And they said on that they will "remove and replace the front bumper". But they didn't, they just did bad smart repaires. They also didn't replace some of the trim parts they said they would.

I had a new scuff on my door (just above the PPF, annoyingly) after I'd picked it up from the same SC, that had been touched up (badly) as well. Only found out after I washed the car and noticed the water beading off it differently - as the car had previously been ceramic coated.

It was small - maybe 1" - but bearing in mind I knew every inch of the car and it had only done 700 miles, it stood out to me.

Phoned the SC but didn't really get anywhere, as I had no proof, and it had been a couple of weeks since I'd picked the car up. Sentry etc gets disabled as soon as the car is put into service mode.

Basically, either the car picked up this scuff while it was at the SC - and they touched it up without telling me it had happened, or when I was at the supermarket Mrs Miggins scuffed it and whipped out her Tesla touch up pen that she carries with her at all times, that happened to match my car colour exactly.

Hmm..

I had a new scuff on my door (just above the PPF, annoyingly) after I'd picked it up from the same SC, that had been touched up (badly) as well. Only found out after I washed the car and noticed the water beading off it differently - as the car had previously been ceramic coated.

It was small - maybe 1" - but bearing in mind I knew every inch of the car and it had only done 700 miles, it stood out to me.

Phoned the SC but didn't really get anywhere, as I had no proof, and it had been a couple of weeks since I'd picked the car up. Sentry etc gets disabled as soon as the car is put into service mode.

Basically, either the car picked up this scuff while it was at the SC - and they touched it up without telling me it had happened, or when I was at the supermarket Mrs Miggins scuffed it and whipped out her Tesla touch up pen that she carries with her at all times, that happened to match my car colour exactly.

Hmm..
They damaged mine in whilst in for paint repair. I don't think they would have told me but I was enroute to collect. Their customer service is appalling and because they are not members of any standards of service schemes (like ALL the big players) they get away with it because we cannot refer them to an arbitration scheme. We need a Class Action for something.

This is fairly typical Tesla service. With Elon being an engineer, you think he'd understand the cost of fixing defects late in the manufacturing process (in Tesla's case, post-delivery). Forget Six-sigma, Tesla is not even One-sigma.

The two step service visit is infuriating and while efficient for the Service Center, quite inconvenient for the customer. SC's do not keep many parts in stock, so the first visit is an evaluation, then they order the parts, then you come back for an installation -- usually weeks later.

What would be nice, and certainly within the realm of possibility, is a "smart" service system, like this:
  • Car logs error (e.g., right repeater camera non-functional)
  • Car reports error to Tesla
  • Tesla system orders part and dispatches to your Service Center
  • Tesla system makes Service Appointment based on anticipated delivery of part
  • Tesla system sends notification of appointment to owner via app/text
  • Owner keeps or reschedules appointment
  • Car fixed in one visit

Reactions: Beady3647
What's everyone's repair experiences been like? I.e. once they actually book you in, do the problems all get fixed when you pick it up?

Another question.. how long is everyone waiting? We got an estimate of 7 days through the app, with a date and time for pickup. Texted to confirm and they said 'don't trust the app, we'll text you once it's done' without giving an estimate of when it'll actually be done.

Mines been terrible, they didn't fix everything they said they would through the app. They said it would be 1 day. I said I thought that is unlikely with the amount of work. They phoned me in the evening saying it will be ready the next day. Didn't hear anything else for a week after that.
When I did pick it up it wasn't all done and even had some extra damage they had done. Wasn't pleased

My experience was three trips to the SC, mainly to get faults fixed that were found and reported on collection day. The first SC trip they sorted out the paintwork damage and defects pretty well. They refused to fix the rear lights (they were misted up badly), saying they were "within tolerance". They couldn't fix the broken ball joint problem, as they didn't know where the noise was coming from.

The second trip they agreed to fix the rear lights, as by that time a police officer had stopped me and warned that the rear lights were defective (one was running with water droplets inside, and partially obscured). They didn't fix the broken ball joints, as again they couldn't find the problem.

Third visit they fixed the misaligned glass, and in doing so cured a water leak (water was blowing in around the rear edge of the driver's side door glass in heavy rain). They also finally fixed the broken ball joints, but only because I found the cause of the problem via a web search, complete with photos of the broken parts, the part numbers and the fact that my car was assembled at the time one of the lines at Fremont had a faulty torque wrench. Me doing their leg work saved a fourth visit, as they trusted me and ordered in the parts I told them were probably broken.

• Informative
Reactions: Cnixon and Durzel
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I recently picked up my new Model X from the Bristol service centre for pain work and other issues to be sorted. There were a couple of paint issues that I was informed would be properly addressed.
But when I picked it up they had just done cheap smart repairs and they were bad, they also got overspray on the chrome trim and door rubbers and scratched the spoiler posts when polishing it.

I emailed them about it and they just came back with the car is within spec...

I don't think its too much to ask that a car costing £120K be repaired properly.
I had a similar issue with my M3. There was a scratch on the bumper when I picked it up, which they acknowledged and booked in for a service appointment. Like yours, they performed a very poor smart repair (using flat white instead of Pearl), with obvious overspray and paint beading clearly visible.

I obviously complained and supplied loads of photos. Thankfully they agreed, and booked it in for a proper bodyshop appointment where it was resolved correctly.

I’d keep hounding them.

I am still trying, they did also paint the door shut too with flat white as you say, and it's bubbling up too. I have sent photos asking if that is part of their spec too.

Attachments

• IMG_1017.JPEG
    IMG_1017.JPEG
    164.9 KB · Views: 3,558
Sat in service center now. Car needed some minor fixes (rear camera replacement, mudflaps and the drivers door foot trim which had come loose )

So all good except the drivers door foot trim. They didn't even fix it, but replaced all the parts to the right of the steering wheel (plastic) which was full of mud and completely loose as well. They didn't even fix the issue I reported.

Also my driver's side carpets are now caked in mud. Other service centers I've been to will make an effort to keep your car clean as well.

Cowboys. Tesla cowboys. Seriously one of the worst after purchase companies I've dealt with.

So far not a good first service.

I gave up trying to get the SC to fix the paintwork. Didn't even try with the scratches on the roof glass..

They're good on some things (when the rear window cracked due to a faulty heater they replaced it without issue) but it's very variable. My dash rattles like a diesel taxi some days and the ranger couldn't find anything (he said he'd fixed it and had done precisely nothing).

Also my driver's side carpets are now caked in mud. Other service centers I've been to will make an effort to keep your car clean as well.

After one service visit that had to do some work on the centre console, I was refixing (its velcro'd) the USB TeslaCam media card reader back on the underside of the phone shelf and found the underside of the phone shelf scuffed with mud. wth?

Reactions: Rooster6655
What's everyone's repair experiences been like? I.e. once they actually book you in, do the problems all get fixed when you pick it up?

Another question.. how long is everyone waiting? We got an estimate of 7 days through the app, with a date and time for pickup. Texted to confirm and they said 'don't trust the app, we'll text you once it's done' without giving an estimate of when it'll actually be done.

Took over 6 months to fix delivery day issues, involving at least 3 service visits, 1 a complete waste as original poster.

First was told it will take 7 days so make an hour journey home then told to pick the car up same day as they have to book me in again for the paint job which they already knew about, then next visit was told not a paint job and I will just get a new part.

Several months later they book me in for replacement part. I then speak to them and find they just replaced the wrong part, so having waited 6 months for this, my next avenue was legal action, surprisingly the needed part was found and fitted the same day.

I would never sign for or accept another Tesla without a thorough inspection first (including mirrors to see under) etc and they can fix and allow repeat inspection before I'd sign for it. It still doesnt avoid problems only found by driving it and it needs control over new car enthusiasm and soem way of not being dependant on parting with current car on a specific date.
While Tesla get away with it why should they bother changing?