Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Paint Repair/Repaint Experiences...Please Share

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got mine out of the shop after it sat at Tesla Service for four business days before they got it into the body shop for nine business days. Now the Detailer/PPF shop has it for five more days.:rolleyes:
I've been waiting since March 2016, so what's a few more weeks;).

Wish I read this thread before dropping off my car. I had two bubbles, an area that was like grey and not as smooth and maybe an area where it got chipped during transport. It is located in passenger side and between the two doors. I guess the passenger side bothers me the most as I noticed it when I walked towards the car. I hope it doesn’t require a ton of work. Interestingly, I opened the app for fun and mobile access was disabled already. Maybe it’s at the detailer already

My car was dropped back at Tesla yesterday. Unfortunately it didn’t pass inspection. They noticed some rust at the driver rear rocker panel, where it was repainted.

Can someone tell me what this means? Is it pretty significant?

If it’s truely rust....that can’t be good..especially on a new car. I’d refuse delivery.

Three weeks to fix paint defects? How severe? Is this standard/normal?

My frunk lid (hood) and front bumper were repainted due to dust nibs under the paint. It took over two weeks, but I think the shop only really worked on it for two or three days. I think paint repairs are common, and Tesla Service and their body shops are likely slammed, so much of the flow time, is simply waiting for resources to work your car. Tesla really needs to get their factory paint quality under control!

Reactions: divemaster
Had a paint correction appointment at Telsa yesterday, Only option to fix two small fisheye's on my multicoat red trunk lid was to have it "paint corrected" at a 3rd party paint shop, outside of the Tesla service center. Estimated time 1 to 2 weeks. Declined the offer and stated the only option was to replace the trunk lid with a factory finished paint. My other offer (which I haven't mentioned yet to Tesla) would be to leave it as is and refund my extra $1500.00 I had to pay for the multicoat finish. I feel very fortunate that the rest of the car is absolutely perfect with no fit/finish issues. Overall very happy with my Model 3 and our local service center staff. Awaiting decision from the service center manager.

This is how my Model 3 was presented in Hawaii, with a local Maile lei adds that special local Hawaiian Touch! Good job Tesla Hawaii!

Attachments

• 20180809_101108.jpg
    20180809_101108.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 248
Had a paint correction appointment at Telsa yesterday, Only option to fix two small fisheye's on my multicoat red trunk lid was to have it "paint corrected" at a 3rd party paint shop, outside of the Tesla service center. Estimated time 1 to 2 weeks. Declined the offer and stated the only option was to replace the trunk lid with a factory finished paint. My other offer (which I haven't mentioned yet to Tesla) would be to leave it as is and refund my extra $1500.00 I had to pay for the multicoat finish. I feel very fortunate that the rest of the car is absolutely perfect with no fit/finish issues. Overall very happy with my Model 3 and our local service center staff. Awaiting decision from the service center manager.

let us know how it goes.

absolutely will let you know what options were presented to me, however I will NOT have a third party paint shop refinish the multi-coat. Anyone would expect a perfect paint job on a brand new car, regardless if it's Tesla or not. However I DO expect even more paint finish scrutiny from the Tesla paint QA department before signing off.

My cars been in the shop now since August 28th for dust under the paint on 5 panels. They're all varying degrees of bad. Some panels have two small dust nibs where other have over 10+. I visited the certified third party shop I was referred to by Tesla Service in Burbank and they told me they wouldn't be able to sand any of it down and all the panels would have to be repainted. I wasn't comfortable with this and met with the service manager at the Burbank Service Center. He kept trying to convince me that the paint would be just as good as factory paint because these third party body shops pay 200k-300k for their certification and use the same tools as the factory. I'm not familiar with the paint process but feel this is total BS.

When I asked him what other options I had he essentially told me we wouldn't know what my options were until I gave them a chance to fix the issues. Meaning they would have to repaint more than half my car. Just wondering if anyone has any insight on what I should do and any information on factory paint vs body shop paint.

I included a couple pictures that indicate where all the imperfections were found. Sticker doesn't mean it was one dust nib, they were usually in clusters. These were placed on the car by the service manager.

Attachments

• IMG_20180907_162953.jpg
    IMG_20180907_162953.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_20180907_162959.jpg
    IMG_20180907_162959.jpg
    432.4 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_20180907_163003.jpg
    IMG_20180907_163003.jpg
    444.2 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_20180907_163109.jpg
    IMG_20180907_163109.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 199
My cars been in the shop now since August 28th for dust under the paint on 5 panels. They're all varying degrees of bad. Some panels have two small dust nibs where other have over 10+. I visited the certified third party shop I was referred to by Tesla Service in Burbank and they told me they wouldn't be able to sand any of it down and all the panels would have to be repainted. I wasn't comfortable with this and met with the service manager at the Burbank Service Center. He kept trying to convince me that the paint would be just as good as factory paint because these third party body shops pay 200k-300k for their certification and use the same tools as the factory. I'm not familiar with the paint process but feel this is total BS.

When I asked him what other options I had he essentially told me we wouldn't know what my options were until I gave them a chance to fix the issues. Meaning they would have to repaint more than half my car. Just wondering if anyone has any insight on what I should do and any information on factory paint vs body shop paint.

I included a couple pictures that indicate where all the imperfections were found. Sticker doesn't mean it was one dust nib, they were usually in clusters. These were placed on the car by the service manager.

The third party body shop did a good job matching the paint. My problem was that there were small dust bits under the paint or clear coat. The body shop did buff out the dust and now it looks good. I had to make two trips to the body shop.

The third party body shop did a good job matching the paint. My problem was that there were small dust bits under the paint or clear coat. The body shop did buff out the dust and now it looks good. I had to make two trips to the body shop.

How long was your car in the body shop and do the Tesla employees disclose the body shop location so we can contact them? I was told last Thursday 3-5 days. I'm hoping to get my car back later today.