Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Paint Repair/Repaint Experiences...Please Share

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received VIN 103xxx on Saturday, built in September. Could not find any defects. Scheduled a Tuesday appointment to wrap and tint.

Upon drop off the shop which caters to many Tesla owners immediately grumbled that all the 3’s have some sort of paint issues and I challenged him to find any on my car. Sure enough here goes:

1) scuff on side mirror
2) small dent on hood
3) 1” scratch on door edge (as if someone opened the door and it hit a curb)
4) slight trunk gap

This was all in a matter of a few minutes to his careful eye.

He also said that repairs will generally not look as good and suggested to live with it.

Planning on setting up an appointment w Tesla for them to at least log the paint issues. Not sure what they’ll say.

They also had another another M3 wrapped and certain defects are more pronounced post wrap.

Yes, it's all up to the specific shop. I've dealt with both of the Tesla approved shops in Dallas for an MS Red repaint and one did a great job and the other paint job left overspray on the surrounding rubber and glass and had runs and drips and horrible orange peel texture.
I need to have paint repairs done on our Model 3 and wondered if you could pass along the information on the good paint shop!!

Sorry for the late update all, I've settled with my local Tesla service manager. My Model 3 was in near perfect condition except for one paint nib and a small fisheye on the trunk lid. I proposed they either return my $1500.00 for my multi-color red option or replace the lid. Unfortunately they could not offer either and given the identical concerns of having my Tesla paint corrected at a non-Tesla shop I settled on a complementary annual service check ($500.00 value) and some Tesla swags, they also gave me two red model cars for my kids. There are a few non-cosmetic items that will need to be address such as my driver side door ratting when I close it with the window down only and passenger window not going all the way down, there's like 1/4 in of glass exposed when it's all the way down. No big deal. Some things I resolved on my own, like adjusting the drivers door striker as it was a little two low and didn't close as easily as the rest of the doors. Other items I've mod was all the LED light fixtures, I replaced the single LED with a 3 LED strip.

For those who had their paint corrected could you post some photos of the new scratches? So sorry you all are going through this frustrating experience.

MP3Mike, I did not try it but I'll try it and hope it gets recalibrated, thanks so much for sharing!

Update: I just read in another forum that you have the hold window button down for 10 seconds to have it calibrated. Will try this this evening.

Last edited: