Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah this is a known problem. Which is why I was so surprised to that NoA worked so well on its own (on the Hume Hwy). The problem on the Hume has nothing to do with road camber, but with the road not being officially "qualified" as a highway, because it has unprotected crossings. So in Tesla's database, it in fact vaccilates between highway and regular road category. Which is why ALC doesn't work well in all locations. I'll upload a video I took yesterday shortly that illustrates this.
Yep, if you have enough time, or another driver, you can see it display the 200 metre countdown to ending NoA, then pass by the unprotected crossing and have it resume NoA automatically (unless the next unprotected crossing is too soon) It helps to have music playing to provide some solace from the constant chiming.
It is a relief to get to Berrima (northbound) and enter the NSW *Urban* motorway (the signs say "start /end freeway") as opposed to the *Rural* motorway (so it can have the M designation instead of A...)

Reactions: elddum and moa999
By any chance, have you driven on the Hume highway yet? The last time I drove in April, auto lane change (manually initiated via indicator stalk) didn’t work when it was changing back from the overtaking lane back to the left lane. It didn’t recognise that there was a left lane, possibly because of the road camber. This is a specific problem on the Hume highway, it is fine everywhere else I drove.
Video below. With some bonus excitement at 8:10, big rig swerving into my lane as I'm passing them. Pay attention to the ALC indicator just below the forward camera on the right. You can see this flip flop between ALC unavailable and ALC right only / left only. This leads me to believe it's a more complex story than just which category road you're on.

• Informative
Reactions: cafz and Jules22
And a little later on, a lovely meteor streaking across the front camera. Looking at the GPS position and direction of travel, it was heading straight for Canberra. We almost got a fresh start!

Don't blink or you'll miss it, at 9:02:

P.S. As an astrophysicist I can disclose that the meteor was a lot further away than Canberra, probably more likely down towards the Albury area, but that fact would have got in the way of the punch line. Facts have gone extinct like dinosaurs in the age of MAGA anyway. See what I did there?

Video below. With some bonus excitement at 8:10, big rig swerving into my lane as I'm passing them. Pay attention to the ALC indicator just below the forward camera on the right. You can see this flip flop between ALC unavailable and ALC right only / left only. This leads me to believe it's a more complex story than just which category road you're on.

Thanks @ZeeDoktor !
What setup do you have to collect/record all that data?

If I recall you've got a 2019. Light bleed on indicators is much worse than my mid-2020.
dunno if S cameras are the same, but this fixed almost all the repeater glare on our 2019 m3p.
the hardest bit by far was getting the repeaters out of the fenders.

FWIW I got a brake master cylinder brace from those folks too. works well. brakes feel way less mushy. although I did also put braided lines on at the same time, and upgraded the fluid too, so those might have done a little bit as well.
obligatory software update reference - the new-ish brakes page in Service Mode would make working on brakes a bit easier these days.

Reactions: SPadival

Those telemetry displays are really cool to see! I don't think I've seen anything like that before!

Definitely some excitement with that truck!

Reactions: ZeeDoktor
And a little later on, a lovely meteor streaking across the front camera. Looking at the GPS position and direction of travel, it was heading straight for Canberra. We almost got a fresh start!

Don't blink or you'll miss it, at 9:02:

P.S. As an astrophysicist I can disclose that the meteor was a lot further away than Canberra, probably more likely down towards the Albury area, but that fact would have got in the way of the punch line. Facts have gone extinct like dinosaurs in the age of MAGA anyway. See what I did there?
This is awesome!

Reactions: ZeeDoktor
@Jules22 @moa999 @elddum I have a 2020 Model S Performance (aka Raven), the last iteration in the S series lineup we got in Oz. I use Josh Wardell's dual bus CANserver to record the power and chassis CAN buses: CANserver. I added a little 12v to 5v step down converted into the CAN bus connector so the CAN bus 12v powers the CANserver automatically. But you can also power it from externally or the USB ports in the car (although that's very unreliable because they shut down power at the most inconvenient times).

The CANserver is an ESP32 based device, so it can create a wifi AP, or join an existing Wifi so you can access the CAN data in real-time as well. For the live display (in-car) of the CAN bus parameters of interest I use the TesLAX app on an 11" iPad attached to the bottom of the MCU screen. And CANserver records the raw CAN bus data to an SD card. I have it set up so when I pull into the garage, the CANserver connects to my Garage Wifi. A raspi sitting there is automatically downloading the raw logs and pushes them to my dropbox.

Once on the dropbox, it gets sucked down to my laptop where I've cobbled together a bunch of python scripts to create those videos. As evidenced by the telemetry presentation / screen designs, I have an extensive aviation background...

The only manual process is to not forget to download the video footage from the USB stick, and then selecting the start time and duration of the video to produce.

There's a LOT of telemetry information in those screens, and unfortunately every time they push a software update, one or the other parameter no longer decodes correctly. If only Tesla released the DBC files (the files that define the binary message format of the CAN bus messages)...

@Jules22 @moa999 @elddum I have a 2020 Model S Performance (aka Raven), the last iteration in the S series lineup we got in Oz. I use Josh Wardell's dual bus CANserver to record the power and chassis CAN buses: CANserver. I added a little 12v to 5v step down converted into the CAN bus connector so the CAN bus 12v powers the CANserver automatically. But you can also power it from externally or the USB ports in the car (although that's very unreliable because they shut down power at the most inconvenient times).

The CANserver is an ESP32 based device, so it can create a wifi AP, or join an existing Wifi so you can access the CAN data in real-time as well. For the live display (in-car) of the CAN bus parameters of interest I use the TesLAX app on an 11" iPad attached to the bottom of the MCU screen. And CANserver records the raw CAN bus data to an SD card. I have it set up so when I pull into the garage, the CANserver connects to my Garage Wifi. A raspi sitting there is automatically downloading the raw logs and pushes them to my dropbox.

Once on the dropbox, it gets sucked down to my laptop where I've cobbled together a bunch of python scripts to create those videos. As evidenced by the telemetry presentation / screen designs, I have an extensive aviation background...

The only manual process is to not forget to download the video footage from the USB stick, and then selecting the start time and duration of the video to produce.

There's a LOT of telemetry information in those screens, and unfortunately every time they push a software update, one or the other parameter no longer decodes correctly. If only Tesla released the DBC files (the files that define the binary message format of the CAN bus messages)...
Really cool to see, thanks for sharing!

Wow!
Would love to have access to that telemetry, but a bit beyond my skill/patience level I think.
Cool stuff!

Reactions: Jules22
2024.20.6 with Vision Autopark (with option to select parking spot) is going out to LHD markets in Europe, but nothing yet for RHD markets like UK and AU 🥴

(My car is downloading it right now & the release notes doesn’t have this)

1719457131495.png

Reactions: elddum and Jules22
I must say, moving to a different ISP has me getting the updates a lot quicker.
Might have been the old isp or modem…

View attachment 1059852

I did post this in the other thread as well, but just checking to see if anyone else had had their gear swiped stay on while driving?
Mine stayed on the screen most of the way home today, wasn’t game to flick it into reverse while moving haha.

View attachment 1059853
I was playing around with this today to see if it was coming on at any time it shouldn't.

Found mine was very consistent, comes on as soon as I go below 7km/h, goes off at about 14km/h.

I think they must have made it wider and more prominent at some point? I know it got shortened with the new UI, but it seems even more prominent now than it was even after the change.

Reactions: dronus
I was playing around with this today to see if it was coming on at any time it shouldn't.

Found mine was very consistent, comes on as soon as I go below 7km/h, goes off at about 14km/h.

I think they must have made it wider and more prominent at some point? I know it got shortened with the new UI, but it seems even more prominent now than it was even after the change.
After the update it’s gone back to normal. Maybe I fed something after midnight :)

Reactions: Jules22