Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still have the compass icon on screen all the time. You might be able to change defaults in the navigation settings. I have had the settings get changed on some previous updates. This might be the problem.

Like some others I am finding the self-driving steadily improving as time goes on. Although I have never driven with the original AP system.

I still have the compass icon on screen all the time. You might be able to change defaults in the navigation settings. I have had the settings get changed on some previous updates. This might be the problem.

Like some others I am finding the self-driving steadily improving as time goes on. Although I have never driven with the original AP system.

I had an original S with AP1, I have a 3 with standard AP, and an X with FSD (still on enhanced AP until Tesla release in Australia)…..I can say without a doubt the original AP1 is still far ahead of the current AP/Enhanced AP (more sure footed, way less errors, a lot more smooth)….

Reactions: paulp

So I rebooted the car and the compass was still not there. Then it showed the update available 2021.44.30.11. I installed the update and now the compass is back. I wonder if that was a glitch in the software version on my car? I really hope it remains there from now on.

Reactions: Hairyman
Downloaded 2022.44.30.11: Bug fixes? I can't see any differences.
I honestly can't see an ordinary family putting up with an ongoing experiment like this, bearing in mind that I'm 99% sure that Tesla would use any outdated software to invalidate any claims.
Start of this year has been crazy with the updates, most weeks there has been multiple updates per week. I wonder if its just for those of us who have selected "Advanced" for updates and how many of those are pushed to people keeping it on "Standard"? But an ordinary family person should probably keep that setting on "Standard" to reduce the amount of testing they have to to for Tesla.

Reactions: MC3OZ and Wol747
Start of this year has been crazy with the updates, most weeks there has been multiple updates per week. I wonder if its just for those of us who have selected "Advanced" for updates and how many of those are pushed to people keeping it on "Standard"? But an ordinary family person should probably keep that setting on "Standard" to reduce the amount of testing they have to to for Tesla.
I have two identical S. One is advanced one is standard. Sometimes one gets the update first, other times its the other, but with only one exception they both get the same updates - the exception being one earlier this year which the standard got but advanced jumped right over. TBH, I’m not seeing that button doing anything

Downloaded 2022.44.30.11: Bug fixes? I can't see any differences.
I honestly can't see an ordinary family putting up with an ongoing experiment like this, bearing in mind that I'm 99% sure that Tesla would use any outdated software to invalidate any claims.
Its a valid point. At the start tesla were a niche startup so patience was afforded to them. As they become a car supplier larger than many established brands its unlikely the bulk of the population will share the patience of the early crowd. Time will tell, but I think Tesla need to remove this approach of pumping stuff out half baked to satisfy Elon. It could become very damaging.
I’m also not sure how they stand legally by removing items that were delivered with the car and paid for by the owner, for example a functioning voice system and zoom arrows in the map that keep the car centred.

Reactions: Wol747
Oh FFS! Carry on much?! Voice commands work fine and you can still zoom by pinching and the arrow stays centred for me in both my cars!
Ummmmm voice does not work fine and plenty on here make the same comment, and I can assure you in model S if I pinch the map the car does not stay centred as I drive and indeed never has. The only way to keep it centred is to zoom with the +- button, which is now gone. (havnt tested version 8 yet).

Why so precious? Can’t handle tesla criticism perhaps?

• Disagree
Reactions: ARMARM and Wol747
Ummmmm voice does not work fine and plenty on here make the same comment, and I can assure you in model S if I pinch the map the car does not stay centred as I drive and indeed never has. The only way to keep it centred is to zoom with the +- button, which is now gone. (havnt tested version 8 yet).

Why so precious? Can’t handle tesla criticism perhaps?
@paulp is right, same issue in my 3 and X…the zoom in/out buttons keep the car centred, pinch zoom doesn’t (or at least makes the map stop and the car arrow keeps moving off the screen whereby it sometimes then re-centres and often doesn’t)….at least this has been my experience in both cars…

Reactions: Wol747
Start of this year has been crazy with the updates, most weeks there has been multiple updates per week

Good thing I have ignored them all then. When people report here that most of the functionality that was removed with the pre-Christmas update has been returned, then I’ll consider making the leap.

When they did the previous UI change I think I ignored 5 or 6 updates before clicking the ‘install’ button.

Good thing I have ignored them all then. When people report here that most of the functionality that was removed with the pre-Christmas update has been returned, then I’ll consider making the leap.

When they did the previous UI change I think I ignored 5 or 6 updates before clicking the ‘install’ button.
I suspect your approach to this has been the safer one.
With the UI change they did introduce a few fun gimmicks but also a number of annoyances and bugs like the charging screen missing the battery section to set charge limits for some cars and for me the compass icon just disappearing. From what they say in cold countries that many cars got cabin heating issues since the new UI update. Not sure if the issues are all related to the new updates but their actions of pushing out 8 updates in less than a month does suggest that they are panicking and are trying to fix something. I do not agree though that panic pushing updates every few days without testing would be acceptable solution if there are issues.
The strangest thing is that not all have those issues. but if the ones that experience the issues make loud enough noise it does make it seem like the software is really glitchy. Since the Christmas update I have come across only 2 actual glitches. One was my headlights not reset back to original location after playing the lightshow. I had to manually do the lights alignment and that seems to have got fixed by one of the updates as it no longer has that issue. the second was the compass icon going missing from the map and not giving me option to re-center the map on car. this appears to have fixed with an update also.
However with the new IU the bigger annoyance is that things that used be easy access now take 1-2 extra clicks and are no longer visible at a glance. I suspect that issue affects more people who are used to having the extra information at a glance and muscle memory for accessing things. It just takes a little getting used to.

Reactions: Peterbeans
One thing that’s irritated me from day one is that compass! It’s such an important thing in keeping your orientation yet so faded and small. I would like to see it the size of a 50c coin at least - make it 25% transparent if you will - and with proper compass markings. It’s too easy to follow the magenta line - or the blue one (!) and lose track of where you actually are.

One thing that’s irritated me from day one is that compass! It’s such an important thing in keeping your orientation yet so faded and small. I would like to see it the size of a 50c coin at least - make it 25% transparent if you will - and with proper compass markings. It’s too easy to follow the magenta line - or the blue one (!) and lose track of where you actually are.
😂😂 The big colour moving map not enough to keep you orientated?? Is the compass hidden in the big bird? It is in mine.
I don’t think my kids would even know how to read a compass anymore. Probably more my fault than theirs….